Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 22nd 2014 Contents A9
Friday, August 22, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
FLAT HILLTOP LAND
Cascade Gated Community
Approved for Two (2) Residences
Five Minutes from Savannah
Offers invited above 5.5M
Call 497-3995 (a.m) 0822078
AZEE SHIPPING &
TRADING CO. LTD.
Tradezone Compound, El Socorro
Ext#1, San Juan.
HAVE BEEN CHANGED
The NEW numbers are as follow:
We apologise for any inconvenience
caused by this change. 0808046
Shop For Sale
GREAT LOCATION AND PRICE
Ladies Clothing & Accessories
Table with Stools
Like us on
25 MUCURAPO ROAD, ST JAMES. TEL: 622-1996
110 HIGH STREET, SAN FERNANDO. TEL: 653-3202
COR. FREDERICK & HART STREETS, P.O.S. TEL: 627-4278
Bridal Registry at 25 Mucurapo Road, St James
While Cabinet has approved $4.7 million to
assist three medical organisations, Health Min-
ister Dr Fuad Khan says the Government will
continue to provide financial assistance to them
until better can be done.
This comes after last week s announcement that
the Government will spend $2 billion to build hos-
pitals in Point Fortin and Sangre Grande, and to
upgrade the Arima Hospital.
Speaking at yesterday s post-Cabinet briefing,
Khan said the Government s assistance to non-
governmental organisations was part of Govern-
ment s pillars of development.
Khan announced the approval of annual sub-
ventions to the T&T Cancer Society, the Cotton
Tree Foundation and Community Action Resource
When asked whether he was satisfied with the
NGOs performances, he said:
"We have asked for some auditing to be done
into those non-governmental organisations and I
won t read out exactly what we have found.
"They do provide a service and they are a very
strong lobby so at the end of the day we have to
continue until we have something better."
The Cancer Society, which provides clinical
services, in-house and mobile cancer-screening,
biopsies and other services, has an annual sub-
vention of $158, 500.
Khan said the society s agreement with the
North West Regional Health Authority had been
terminated causing a shortage of funding.
He said Cabinet had agreed to give $3.5 million
to cover the shortage and would increase the sub-
vention to $2 million for two years.
The increase comes as the society rolls out a
nutritional supplemental programme aimed at
assisting families with food supplies to reduce
their financial burden.
CARE, which has existed for the past 26 years,
will be allocated $222,240 to cover one year.
After that period ends, Khan said, a compre-
hensive evaluation would be undertaken by the
Ministry of the People and Social Development
to assess whether the subvention would be con-
As the Cotton Tree Foundation takes on new
programmes, in collaboration with the Health Min-
istry, Khan said the organisation s annual subvention
of $1,063,848 was granted for the period of two
years with effect from next month.
Port-of-Spain is due for an upgrade,
starting in December, when Govern-
ment will begin component one of the
Inter-American Development Bank s
(IDB) $120 million loan to deal with
extensive flooding in the city.
It is part of the IDB s Sustainable
So said Minister of the Environment
and Water Resources Ganga Singh at
yesterday s post-Cabinet press confer-
ence at the Office of the Prime Minister,
He also announced plans for a clean-
up and rehabilitation project for the
cove, located by the lighthouse near
"We expect the pre-qualification
process for contractors and consultants
to be done in September and then in
accordance with IDB procurement rules,
we will proceed to acquire the con-
tractors and/or consultants to deal with
this area of flooding in component one
'We'll continue until
there's something better'
$120m flood ease for city begins in December
of the IDB loan," Singh said.
The announcement followed major flooding in
recent weeks on Independence Square, South Quay,
where the city s major transportation hub is located,
Richmond and Edward Streets and other parts of
The recent flooding came after rainfall, in most
cases, lasted less than an hour.
Following flooding, Port-of-Spain mayor Raymond
Tim Kee said it was nothing new and was linked to
the high tide which impeded runoff into the sea.
Singh, however, laid blame for the flooding on
poor cleaning practices by the city corporation.
"There is a practice by the city corporation where
the janitorial crew take the rubbish from the streets
and push them down the inlets on the road and
therefore the underground drains are generally
clogged," Singh said.
He said the ministry had met with the mayor and
the city engineer and showed them what happened
after installing grates at these inlets.
He said people had removed the grates and were
still pushing rubbish into the underground drains.
Singh said the city corporation would partner with
the Solid Waste Management Company Limited
(SWMCOL) to manage the system properly.
He said residents of Port-of-Spain also contributed
to clogged drains.
Singh said flooding alleviation also would be
achieved through improvement works at the cove.
The scope of works at the cove will include the
removal of the accumulated sludge through desilting,
stone protection, using blue limestone boulders, and
landscaping of the area, using suitable plant species.
Links Archive August 21st 2014 August 23rd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page