Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 27th 2014 Contents A32
body & soul
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, August 27, 2014
AMENDED TENDER NOTICE
SUPPLY OF EXTERNAL JANITORIAL AND GROUNDS
MAINTENANCE SERVICES FOR NALIS' BRANCH FACILITIES
1. NALIS invites tenders for the supply of External Janitorial and Grounds Maintenance for the National Library and Information System Authority Branch Facilities.
2. Tender documents can be collected from the Financial Accountant, Finance Division, 4th Floor, NALIS Building, between the hours of 8:30am -- 3:30pm Monday to
3. Any further information/ clari cation can be obtained from the o ce of the Facilities Manager, 3rd Floor NALIS Building, Hart and Abercromby Streets, Port of Spain
or call 624 - 4466; 624 -- 5075. An email can also be sent to any of the following addresses:
4. The deadline for information/clari cation is Tuesday September 2, 2014 at 4.00 p.m.
5. Suppliers submitting tenders who are registered for the purpose of Value Added Tax must, where applicable provide:
i. Valid Income Tax Certi cate; and
ii. Valid VAT Clearance Certi cate;
Both Income Tax Certi cate & VAT Clearance Certi cates shall not be dated no more than six (6) months prior to the date xed to the close of the Tender.
6. Tenders must be submitted with the following :
i. A Company Pro le
ii. Certi cate of Registration/Incorporation/Continuance
iii. Experience record
iv. Audited Financial Statements for the last three (3) years
v. Financial reference and their contact number
vi. Documentary evidence that the Bidder is eligible to Tender and is quali ed to perform the Contract in accordance with the general conditions if its Tender
vii. Three (3) recent Referneces of Completed Similar Services;
viii. Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Policy. (re: OSHA)
ix. NIS Compliance Certi cate
7. Tenders must be enclosed in the sealed envelopes and deposited in the Tenders Box in the Procurement Unit on the 4th Floor, National Library, Hart &
Abercromby Streets, Port of Spain no later than 1:00 p.m. on Friday September 5, 2014. The envelopes must be addressed to the Executive Director and
National Library External Janitorial and Grounds Maintenance Services for NALIS' Branch Facilities
N.B: (Six (6) copies of the Tender documents must be submitted. Please put copies in separately sealed envelopes. (That is six (6) envelopes).
8. The Board does not bind itself to accept any tender.
9. Late Tenders will not be considered in any circumstance.
10. The public opening of tenders will be conducted at 2:00 p.m. on Friday September 5, 2014 on the 4th Floor of the National Library Building, Cor. Hart
Abercromby Streets, Port of Spain. Each Tenderer or his representative may be present at the opening.
11. The deposit slot on the tender box measures 7 cm high and 36 cm wide. Please ensure that tender packages are able to t or they will not be accepted unless they
are deposited in the tender box provided.
12. Further note that:
i. Bidders shall bear all costs associated with the preparation and submission of the Proposal
ii. Foreign Bidders are expected to comply with the requirement in the RFP packages to the extent to which such requirements are applicable to them
iii. The Authority reserves the right to cancel the present Tender in its entirety or partially, without defraying any cost incurred by any rm in submitting its
13. NALIS reserves the right to reject tenders under the following conditions:
i. Tenders received unsigned or without an Income Tax / VAT Certi cate (where applicable).
ii. Tenders received in unsealed envelopes
iii. Tenders found with alterations or erasures of any kind, not initialed by the supplier
YOUR DAILY HEALTH
News and Advice
Botox injections---beloved by those seeking a
wrinkle-free face---may help fight cancer, animal
The study, published in Science Translational
Medicine, showed nerves help stomach cancers
Research on mice found that using the toxin to
kill nerves could halt the growth of stomach
tumours and make them more vulnerable to
Cancer Research UK said it was early days and
it was unclear whether the injections could help
Botox is usually used in the fight against the
signs of ageing, not cancer.
The toxin disrupts nerve function to relax muscles
and even out wrinkles, but a growing body of work
suggests nerves can also help fuel cancer growth.
Centre, in New York,
and the Norwegian
University of Science
and Technology in
ed the role of the vagus
from the brain to the
digestive system ---in
Either cutting the
nerve or using the
toxin Botox slowed the
growth of tumours or
made them more
One of the scien-
tists, Dr Timothy
Wang, told the BBC:
"If you just cut nerves
is it going to cure can-
cer? Probably not.
"At least in early
phase, if you (disrupt
the nerve) the tumour
becomes much more
chemotherapy, so we
don t see this as a sin-
gle cure, but making
current and future
treatments more effective."
Some trials have started in people who are having
surgery to remove a stomach cancer. There has
also been research suggesting nerves may have a
role in prostate cancer too.
However, Dr Wang acknowledged that there was
a long way to go before this could be considered
"With everything new in cancer, even if it looks
great, when you start to roll it out to patients it
always seems cancer is smarter than we are.
"Tumours have the ability to out-evolve any
single agent, knocking one leg of a stool is probably
not going to topple it.
"But I think this has a lot of potential and in a
decade or two I can see these pathways being tar-
Eleanor Barrie, senior science communications
manager at Cancer Research UK, said: "Over the
last few years, some evidence has emerged that
Botox may have
certain stomach cancers might depend on signals
from the nervous system to grow.
"This interesting study adds to that evidence,
and shows how probing the inner workings of can-
cer can spark ideas for innovative new treatments.
But the research is at an early stage and it s not
yet clear if this particular approach could help to
save patients lives." (BBC)
new in cancer,
even if it looks
great, when you
start to roll it out
to patients it
cancer is smarter
than we are.
Tumours have the
ability to out-
evolve any single
one leg of a stool
is probably not
going to topple it.
But I think this
potential and in a
decade or two I
can see these
Botox disrupts nerve function to relax muscles and even out wrinkles, but a
growing body of work suggests nerves can also help fuel cancer growth.
Links Archive August 26th 2014 August 28th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page