Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : August 28th 2014 Contents A70
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, August 28, 2014
MADRID---Real Madrid midfielder
Xabi Alonso, one of the key figures
in Spain's dominant era that included
two European championships and a
World Cup title, says he is retiring
from international football.
The 32-year-old Alonso announced
the decision on Twitter yesterday, say-
ing it had been "an enormous honour"
to play for Spain for 11 years.
The former Liverpool midfielder
scored 16 goals in 114 Spain appear-
ances. He started every game at the
2010 World Cup, helping Spain win
the tournament for the first time.
He was also part of the teams that
won the 2008 and 2012 European
Championships, and the squad that
was dumped out of this year's World
Cup in Brazil in the group stage.
He joins Barcelona midfielder Xavi
Hernandez, another key member of
those teams, in retiring from interna-
tional play after Brazil.
Xabi Alonso, one of the key figures in Spain's
dominant era .
Xabi retires from
BAMAKO---Mali is seeking to move
its African Cup of Nations qualifier
out of Algeria over fears of violence
after a player was killed in a stadium
last week, the spokesman for the
country's football federation said yes-
Manfa Keita said the body asked the
African Football Confederation to move
the Sept. 9 qualifier to a neutral des-
tination after Algerian fans threw
stones at a losing team last week,
killing a Cameroonian player.
Games have been suspended in
Algeria for the next month and the
stadium where the incident took place
has been closed until new measures
to protect players can be put in place.
The death of Albert Ebosse, 24, has
shocked Algeria and highlighted the
increased fan violence in this oil and
gas rich North African nation.
Mali seeks venue for African Cup
Lots on confusion in Argentina
BUENOS AIRES---Argentina's foot-
ball leadership seems to be struggling
to make decisions following the death
of longtime strongman Julio Gron-
The Argentine Football Association
on Tuesday changed the mid-week
schedule for league games three times
--- trying to adjust for a strike by sta-
dium workers --- but eventually settled
on the original schedule for Wednesday
and Thursday matches.
Such a scenario was hard to envision
under Grondona, the former AFA pres-
ident who died on July 30 after running
the body for 35 years. His death has
left clubs openly quibbling among
New AFA President Luis Segura
defended himself yesterday, saying
"we've been unfairly criticised. We had
to work around the strike issue."
LONDON---Tottenham has signed Argentina
defender Federico Fazio from Spanish side Sevilla
on a four-year deal.
The Premier League club announced the signing
yesterday without disclosing the fee, which is report-
ed in the British media to be £8 million (US$13.25
Fazio will provide added competition at center
back, where Spurs already have Jan Vertonghen,
Younes Kaboul, Eric Dier and Vlad Chiriches. Michael
Dawson moved to Hull on Tuesday.
Fazio has played two games for Argentina and
made 194 appearances for Sevilla since 2007.
Fazio joins Tottenham
HAMBURG---Hamburger SV says
it has completed the transfer of
Brazilian defender Cleber from
Cleber signed a four-year contract
after the two clubs agreed on transfer
details. Cleber passed his medical
already last week and has been prac-
ticing with the Bundesliga team with
a special guest permission.
The Brazilian could make his debut
on Saturday against promoted Pader-
Coach Mirko Slomka says Cleber is
a "player with potential, whom we
have to integrate as soon as possible."
BARCELONA---Barcelona says it
has agreed to sign defender Douglas
Pereira from Sao Paulo on a five-sea-
son deal for 4 million euros ($5.3 mil-
lion) pending a medical examination.
The club says Douglas will travel to
Barcelona at the end of the week to
undergo a medical examination, "sign
a contract and be presented as a new
The transfer fee could rise another
1.5 million euros according to the num-
ber of games the 24-year-old right
back plays for Barcelona.
Douglas' transfer is the latest in
Barcelona's turbulent off-season after
incorporating Luis Suarez and Ivan
Rakitic, and being forbidden by FIFA
to sign new players during the next
two transfer windows for breaching
regulations governing the acquisition
of minors for its youth teams.
Barcelona set to sign Pereira
Hamburger completes Cleber transfer
Links Archive August 27th 2014 August 29th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page