Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 5th 2014 Contents A62
Sunday Guardian www.guardian.co.tt October 5, 2014
MUMBAI, India---West Indies' chances in the upcoming
one-day series against India has been dealt a severe
blow, with the West Indies Cricket Board opting to
pull champion off-spinner Sunil Narine from the 14-
The move comes after the Trinidadian right-armer
was twice reported for having a suspected illegal action
during the Champions League Twenty20 and was sub-
sequently banned from bowling in the tournament.
A replacement for Narine is expected to be named
shortly with combative left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn
widely expected to fill the breach.
In a release late Friday night, the WICB said the deci-
sion to withdraw Narine from the tour was taken after
discussions with the player, the selection panel and the
West Indies team management, and said the time off
would allow the bowler the opportunity to have his
Chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd said he was "dis-
appointed" by the latest development which saw Narine
reported by umpires following Kolkata Knight Riders'
final preliminary CLT20 game last Monday and then
following Thursday's semi-final.
Lloyd, the legendary former West Indies captain, said
West Indies were requesting "clarity" on the situation
so the team could plan their way forward.
"I am disappointed that our best bowler could suddenly
be out of the tour. I am quite disappointed about the
procedure that surrounded the calling' of Sunil in the
Champions [League] tournament," Lloyd said.
"These things have the potential to disrupt the team's
preparation for a critical series against India but we will
have to overcome this hurdle."
He added: "We would like some clarity from the
authorities on what led to the present situation and the
details as we move forward. I think there must be a
better way of doing the right things."
Lloyd, appointed two months ago, had earlier indicated
that Windies management were aware that Narine would
have come under close scrutiny had he played in the
"Before we came here we were told that they were
going to call Narine, so it's quite obvious that something
must have been said somewhere," Lloyd said.
"I really can't tell you that [who it was] but I can tell
you it's a highly reliable source, because we have to
make contingency plans for things like that just in case
The 26-year-old Narine is ranked two number two
in both the ICC one-day and Twenty20 world rank-
He has been one of the main thrusts behind KKR's
recent success, taking a tournament-leading 12 wickets
to help them reach Saturday's final of the CLT20 against
Chennai Super Kings.
West Indies play the first of five One-Day Internationals
starting Wednesday at the Nehru Stadium in Kochi.
Sunil Narine approaches the crease during his spell, Dolphins v Kolkata
Knight Riders, in their Champions League T20, Group A match in Hyderabad,
India on September 29.
the West Indies team
manager, is confident
Sunil Narine will
"come back with a
bang" following the
controversy over the
action during the
Twenty20. Narine was
reported twice for a
suspect action and
was barred from
bowling in the Cham-
pions League final,
and he was subse-
from the India tour by
the West Indies Cricket Board.
"Nobody wants it to happen to anybody. It's unfor-
tunate," Richardson said on the sidelines of West
Indies' training session in Mumbai on Saturday. "He
has just got to go home, think about it and come
back. And I know that that's his approach, that's his
attitude. He would obviously be disappointed but he
is not down.
"Knowing the character that he is, he is not going
to let that get him down. He is going to go back and
work. He is going to come back with a bang. And
he is going to come back an even better bowler. These
things will happen and it's how well you handle these
crises that proves the strength of character that you
have. I know he is a very strong individual. Might
seem very easy-going, very quiet but deep down he
is a very confident, strong individual."
Richardson stressed that the controversy had not
affected the morale of the West Indies team. The
side lost its first tour match to India A by nine wickets
on Friday and will play their second practice game
"We can't do nothing about that. We just have to
focus on what we have to do. We were positive even
without him that we can play well against India and
beat India. That's the attitude we have got to adapt,"
Richardson said. "Things happen in life that you have
no control over, the most important thing for you
is to always pick yourself up and go forward. Some-
times when you lose a major player, other players
dig deeper, somebody else comes to the fore. And
that's what we want to see."
When asked if the decision to withdraw Narine
was taken with the 2015 World Cup in sight, Richard-
son said he was not involved in the selection of the
team: "I am just the manager of the team so whatever
the team they give me, I manage. I am not involved
in that process so I can't comment."
BANGALORE, India---There were no
headlines for the West Indies duo of
Dwayne Smith and Dwayne Bravo but
their Chennai Super Kings still lifted the
Champions League Twenty20 title with
a convincing eight-wicket victory over
Kolkata Knight Riders yesterday.
Set a challenging 181 for victory, Chennai
were carried by a splendid unbeaten hun-
dred from top order batsman Suresh Raina
who stroked 109 off a mere 62 balls, to
earning the Man-of-the-Series honour.
The left-hander produced a breath-tak-
ing exhibition of hitting, counting six fours
an eight sixes as he powered his side home
with nine deliveries remaining at the M
Smith, who has struggled in the series,
looked in great touch early on when he
hammered pacer Pat Cummins for two
off-side boundaries in the opening over.
However, the right-hander did not sur-
vive the over, yorked for eight by a slower
ball, off the fifth delivery.
Smith's dismissal would be KKR's last
sign of success for a while. Clearly missing
their match-winning off-spinner Sunil
Narine who was Thursday banned from
bowling and left out of the final, KKR
failed to make any inroads and Chennai
Raina added 118 for the second wicket
with opener Brendon McCullum who hit
39 from 30 balls before putting on a fur-
ther 58 with captain Mahendra Singh
Dhoni whose unbeaten 23 came from 14
Earlier, Bravo sent down two expensive
overs that cost 24 runs as KKR, sent in,
rallied to 180 for six off their 20 overs.
Opener and captain Guatam Gambhir
top-scored with 80 from 52 balls, posting
91 for the first wicket with Robin Uthappa
who scored 39 from 32 deliveries.
Twenty one year-old eft-arm spinner
Pawan Negi was the star, taking five for
22 to earn the Man-of-the-Match hon-
West Indies leg-spinner Samuel Badree
is also a member of the Chennai Super
Kings squad but was not selected for the
Narine pulled from Indian
tour over throwing fears
Sunil will be
back with a bang
No headlines for Smith, Bravo as Chennai win title
Links Archive October 4th 2014 October 6th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page