Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : October 25th 2014 Contents A5
Saturday, October 25, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Chairman of the Siparia
Regional Corporation Leo Dood-
nath says residents who were
affected by the Divali day floods
in Fyzabad and Siparia must share
some of the responsibility for the
He was speaking during a tour
of the affected areas yesterday with
Local Government Minister Marlene
Coudray. Residents of Quarry Vil-
lage, Siparia, and parts of Fyzabad
awoke with water inside their
homes on Divali morning.
"There are too many people who
indiscriminately throw all kind of
things in the rivers. We took out
tyres and all kinds of rubbish from
the river today. This dumping has
a major part to play in the flooding,"
He said the corporation would
crack down on those who violated
"We will be hiring compliance
officers to go out in the field and
ensure people are not doing those
things," he said.
Speaking to the T&T Guardian
during her visit, Coudray said while
assistance was being offered to the
affected households, the main focus
was ensuring the Divali day floods
did not happen again.
"We gave out some mattresses
and food cards to those affected
but our main objective is to make
sure this does not happen again,"
Coudray said the regional cor-
poration was partnering with the
Ministry of Works' Drainage Divi-
sion to clear all blocked watercours-
"This flooding is a result of recent
development in the area that divert-
ed the main watercourse. There
was also a lot of garbage in the river
and a tree that had fallen in," she
Residents of Fyzabad and Siparia
spent all day yesterday cleaning up
after the floods left some homes
under as much as four feet of water.
Ricky Sampath, who lives in Quarry
Village, said his family lost most of
their belongings to the floodwaters.
He praised the CEPEP workers for
their help in the clean-up efforts
but lamented the lack of assistance
so far to recoup their losses.
He said: "So far, we get some
help to clean u, but we only getting
some temporary mattresses. We
didn't hear about anything else yet."
One Mulchan Trace family said
Divali was not finished.
"Tonight (Friday night) is the last
night for Divali. If we finish cleaning
up in time we could light some
deyas," said Varsha Moolchan.
Moolchan said the family had
been marooned in their home all
day and all their preparations for
Divali were in vain.
"The boys built arches to light
up the street to the main road and
every year we make sweet bags for
all the children in the village but
this year was a big disappointment."
The family was critical of the
visit by Coudray and Doodnath,
saying they were not told anything
"They came here but we were
not told about compensation,
apparently they came to sightsee,"
JENSEN LA VENDE
A relative of two people killed on
Thursday is urging people in abusive
relationships to leave and never return.
Speaking with the media outside the
Forensic Science Centre, St James, Stacey
Sobers said: "If you decide to get out,
get out and don't get back. It would get
worse, and this (death) could be the
Sobers' sister, Deshon Sobers, 21, and
her nephew, Trevon Sobers, 27, were
shot dead at the family's home on Enter-
prise Street, Enterprise, Chaguanas.
Police said the 30-year-old killer
entered the family's home and started
shooting shortly after 1 pm. Deshon and
Trevon were pronounced dead at the
Chaguanas Health Centre while being
given emergency treatment.
After the shooting, the killer escaped
in a waiting vehicle. He is still on the
Sobers spoke joyfully of her relatives
yesterday, adding that although her sister
had been adopted as a child, she was
as much a blood relative as any other
she had. She said she had many fond
memories of the two.
Deshon was an aspiring hairdresser,
she said, and her nephew was a bar-
tender and pan player.
Her father Glenford Sobers, who has
used a wheelchair since his right leg was
amputated, was shot in the buttocks
but was discharged from hospital and
is resting at home.
Trevon's brother, Jamal, has been in
the Intensive Care Unit at the Eric
Williams Medical Complex after under-
going emergency surgery.
If comedienne Rachel Price didn t
get the pre-action protocol letter sent
by the President s attorneys, a second
letter will be sent, sources said yester-
Price didn't answer cell calls yesterday
about whether she had received the
letter which was sent by attorneys on
On Wednesday the Office of the Pres-
ident issued a statement saying it had
sought and obtained the advice of Senior
Counsel on certain "offensive statements
recently made by a radio talk show host."
A pre-action protocol letter was sent
by attorneys on behalf of Mrs Carmona
and the Office of the President on the
These are thought to have been com-
ments Price made in connection with
an outfit which Reema Carmona, the
President's wife, wore at a recent UN
function where she spoke at a session
on Fashion for Development. She was
also interviewed by Allure Magazine
during the assignments.
Price's Twitter account hasn't said
whether she has received the letter yet.
An October 21 tweet, however, alluded
to "Carmona," saying: "Looking for fire
I walking with gas. Senility hitting Car-
mona? I heading to the dry cleaners,
time to bring out mih (deleted) court
Sources explained the legal letter was
taken to Price's east Trinidad home and
received by a female family member.
The latter, however, was told not to
accept it and it was subsequently left
with the housing compound's security
guards, sources said.
Contacted yesterday, a legal source
said a second letter would be sent, adding
that there are many ways of ensuring
a party received such a letter.
Queries on who the President's lawyer
is, whether the State is paying his or
her fees and whether the President had
a legal adviser didn't get an immediate
response yesterday from President's
House communications officer Theron
On whether the President's office can
sue over comments about his wife, Reg-
gie Armour, SC, said he was not pre-
pared to comment and Douglas Mendes,
SC, said he preferred not to. Israel Khan's
office did not reply nor did former public
service head Reggie Dumas.
The President's Office has said while
it respected and valued the constitutional
right of every individual to freedom of
expression and the principles of fair
comments and freedom of the press
remained sacrosanct, freedom of expres-
sion was not a licence to defame.
The statement said unwarranted
attacks which crossed the line into
defamation and sought to bring mem-
bers of the family of the President, and
by extension the Office of the President,
into disrepute would not be tolerated.
At a UWI graduation function on
Wednesday, the President complained
about what he described as the lack of
depth of broadcast comment, cyber-
bullying and social media abuse in T&T.
Only seven officers from a roster
of 20 went out to work at the Southern
Division Task Force yesterday as the
patrolmen held a sick-out yesterday.
Sources said that some of the officers
based at the Marabella Police Station
were protesting because their colleague
PC Ainsley Gay was arrested and
charged by the police Professional Stan-
dards Bureau last weekend.
Gay, 29, appeared before San Fer-
nando magistrate Lucina Cadenas-
Ragoonan on Tuesday on charges of
robbing Rodney Tannis of $2,800 at
Orchid Gardens, Pleasantville on Octo-
He is also accused of having 0.1
grammes of cocaine at the Marabella
Police Station on the same day.
His colleagues are said to be dis-
satisfied with the circumstances in
which Gay was arrested.
One task force officer who reported
to work yesterday said it seemed he
might be the only person working his
shift over the weekend.
Contacted yesterday, Snr Supt Cecil
Santana denied there was any sick-
out, saying there were officers on patrol
and court duty, and only two officers
at Marabella called in sick.
The Guardian tried to reach Police
Social Welfare Association president
Insp Anand Ramesar, vice president
Insp Roger Alexander and secretary
Insp Michael Seales, but calls to their
phones went directly to voicemail.
Rachel to get
Doubts over if she received first from Carmona
Wendy Kelly mops the floor of her
home following Thursday's
flooding at Quarry Village, Siparia.
PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Residents to blame for Divali floods
Police sick-out over colleague's arrest
Enterprise double murder...
Suspect still on the run
President's House subsequently
issued a statement that the
President and Mrs Carmona "have
engaged in a private and
confidential relationship with Senior
Counsel concerning matters that
have arisen recently in the public
"Their Excellencies have been
advised by Senior Counsel not to
disclose the nature and content of
those discussions emanating
thereof. The action of their
Excellencies will be guided by
Senior Counsel's advice on said
matters," it added.
Links Archive October 24th 2014 October 26th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page