Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 1st 2014 Contents A9
Saturday, November 1, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
• Marketing of materials such as quartz, granite and marble.
Participate in product and promotional events;
Work with sales support to manage and deliver customer
Several years of sales experience (knowledge of the stone
industry would be an asset)
Computer literacy (AutoCAD would be an asset).
Capable of building customer relations including identifying
needs, creating solutions and recommendations.
Exceptional presentation and communication skills,
Organizational and project coordination skills
Valid Drivers Licence
Please send your CV or enquiry to
Broken & damaged
Ideal for charcoal and
Call 384-6705 1030063
After spending over seven years in prison
awaiting trial, a 33-year-old man from Mara-
cas/St Joseph was yesterday freed of murdering
It took a 12-member jury in the Port-of-Spain
High Court half an hour to return with the not-
guilty verdict for father of two Ricardo Ram-
saroop, who was accused of murdering Nicholas
Ribeiro during an argument in 2007.
In an interview outside the Hall of Justice,
Port-of-Spain, moments before he greeted two
of his relatives, who attended most of the hear-
ings in his six-month trial, a teary-eyed Ram-
saroop said he was very happy as he had always
maintained his innocence.
Ramsaroop said he was confident of the
favourable verdict because of his strong religious
beliefs, which he developed while in prison.
"I pray real hard for the judge, jury and pros-
ecutors. God is the greatest. Justice was done
today," Ramsaroop said.
He said his first activity as a free man would
be to visit Mt St Benedict with his two children
including his eight-year-old daughter, who was
a baby when he was arrested.
"I going and get myself in order, this is a
whole new life I have to live," Ramsaroop said.
According to the evidence in the trial before
Justice Hayden St Clair-Douglas, on April 11,
2007, Rebeiro was liming near his home at Sun-
badora Hill, Acono Road, Maracas/St Joseph,
when he got into an argument with a man who
shot him in the stomach with a shotgun.
Hours later, Ramsaroop was arrested in a shop
in the area. Police said he gave a confession,
but his lawyers said he was coerced into signing
Ramsaroop was represented by Orrin Kerr
and Ravi Rajah and Shabana Shah prosecuted.
Speaker Wade Mark, fourth from left, interacts with Diego Martin Central MP Dr Amery Browne, second from left, and students of
Diego Martin Central Secondary School and St Anthony's College during Thursday's Parliament School Outreach Programme, at
Parliament, Port-of-Spain. The students, from left, are Szavaas Singh, Ahermika Achille, Imani Lyte, Stephan Marrast and Katieha
Sheppard. PHOTO: CLYDE LEWIS
The Highway Re-
route Movement (HRM)
will have to wait until
next year for the trial
of its lawsuit challeng-
ing the controversial
Debe to Mon Desir seg-
ment of the Point
High Court judge
James Aboud was due
to rule yesterday on a
from State attorneys,
who are seeking to have
"irrelevant" aspects of
the group s evidence
removed from the case.
However, when the
case was called at the
Hall of Justice, Port-of-
Spain, Aboud said he
needed further submis-
While he entertained
submissions from the
group s lawyers over
whether they could
introduce evidence from
mental experts, Aboud
over the numerous pro-
from both sets of
lawyers, which he said
were slowing down the
pace of the case.
Senior Counsel Deb-
orah Peake claimed the
contentious aspects of
evidence from Kublals-
ingh, some of the
group s members and its
foreign expert witnesses
should be struck out as
the issues raised were
not mentioned in and
did not affect its lawsuit
which was filed in
The State s applica-
tion was filed in June
last year, during a case
held to clarify evidential
issues to facilitate the
eagerly awaited trial,
which was initially
scheduled to take place
late this year.
However, timelines for
the application and the
substantive case were
derailed after the group
filed for an injunction
stopping the project,
claiming the Govern-
ment has intensified its
The HRM is due to
take its injunction battle
to the Privy Council,
after it was blanked by
both Aboud and the
local Court of Appeal.
Anand Ramlogan has
agreed to ask the British
court for an expedited
hearing, when the
appeal is eventually
Aboud is expected to
rule on the application
on January 16.
A 17-year-old boy has been granted $45,000 bail
for allegedly robbing three women at gunpoint.
The teenager had initially appeared before San
Fernando magistrate Lucina Cardenas-Ragoonanan
on Wednesday, but was remanded into custody for
It is alleged that he, together with another person,
armed with a firearm robbed two women in San Fer-
nando on October 17, of a wallet, cellphone, jewelery
and cash worth more than $8,000.
The third charge alleged that he robbed a woman
in Freeport of a Coach handbag valued $2,500 and
Court prosecutor Cleyon Seedan said a tracing
confirmed that the teenager had one pending mat-
ter.In asking for bail, attorney Cedric Neptune said
the teenager had been in custody since Friday and
lives with his mother.
The magistrate also granted a cash alternative of
$7,000 in the event that the teenager s family could
not secure the $45,000 bail.
The Freeport matter was adjourned to November
20 while the other two matters were adjourned to
Boy, 17, charged
HRM lawsuit against highway...
Trial begins next year
In its constitutional motion filed on August 3, 2012, the group is
contending that the Government contravened its constitutional rights to
"life, security, enjoyment of property, to freedom of expression and freedom
of association" by building the highway without consulting its members
properly. The group says it is not opposed to the entire highway extension
project but only a specific segment.
As a secondary issue, the group is seeking a declaration that the alleged
actions of former National Security Minister Jack Warner and a group of
soldiers in destroying its Debe protest camp and arresting HRM leader Dr
Wayne Kublalsingh and other members on June 27, 2012, were illegal.
They also claim they had a legitimate expectation that the Government
would abide by the findings of a study done by a team of technicial
professionals led by former Independent Senator Dr James Armstrong.
WHAT THE CASE IS ABOUT
Links Archive October 31st 2014 November 2nd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page