Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 6th 2014 Contents A7
This notice serves as official legal
notice to the parents of Stefan Phillip
Creeden -- Diane Phillip (mother)
and Brensley Phillip Creeden
(father) -- of custody proceedings
where custody of Stefan Phillip
Creeden will be determined solely
belonging to Peggy Ann Beauchamp
in the Juvenile Court for Hamilton
County, Tennessee located at 1600
East Third Street, Chattanooga,
Tennessee, 37404 on December 5,
Thursday, November 6, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
A Princes Town mother wants
to know how her son, Navin
Bheesham-Singh, died from a
rare flesh-eating bacterium, five
days after a doctor diagnosed
and treated him for a pinched
An autopsy at the mortuary of
the San Fernando General Hospital
gave the cause of his death as
septic shock necrotizing fasciitis
of the right limb
According to the Centres for
Disease Control, necrotizing fasci-
itis is a serious bacterial infection
that spreads rapidly and destroys
the body s soft tissue.
Known as a flesh-eating infec-
tion, this rare disease can be
caused by different types of bac-
Navin Singh, of Gajdhar Lands,
Princes Town, died on October
30, two days after his 30th birth-
day, and was cremated on
November 2 at the Shore of Peace.
He was the first of the four
children of his parents, Bhagwan-
tee and Andy Weekes.
He worked as a welder with a
contractor at Petrotrin and had
set a date to marry his girlfriend
of five years, Janice Soogrim, on
April 16 next year. Soogrim had
already ordered and received her
yesterday went public with a plea
for all doctors, including Health
Minister Dr Fuad Khan, to exam-
ine her child s case and tell her
what went wrong.
She said the bacteria not only
destroyed the flesh, fat and mus-
cles of her son s leg but caused
all of his organs to fail. She believes
if he had been properly diagnosed
when he first sought attention,
he might have been alive today.
She said the death of her first-
born had caused her no end of
grief and promised to leave no
stone unturned until she got jus-
"Please, please look at it,
Madam Prime Minister, anybody,
and tell me why my child is dead
today. Investigate, analyse and tell
me, so I can get some closure,"
Singh pleaded at a news confer-
ence at the Oilfields Workers
Trade Union headquarters, Para-
mount Building, San Fernando.
His father, Andy Weekes, said
he wanted to know why the doc-
tors did not carry out the proper
procedure to examine and diag-
"Why, when he went, they told
him he had a pinched nerve and
based on that theory, gave him
an injection with steroids?
"You must have an MRI or X-
ray to determine if you have a
pinched nerve. You can t just
watch a person and diagnose him
with a pinched nerve.
"Why, when he went back on
Monday night to the hospital, they
gave him another injection? Why
did they not take a blood test?"
the grieving father asked.
Mother wants answers from hospital
Weekes, left, sister
of Navin Singh,
consoles his fiancee,
Janice Soogrim, during
the family's news
conference yesterday at
OWTU's head office, San
Fernando. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL
Necrotizing fasciitis is a serious bacterial
infection that spreads rapidly and destroys
the body's soft tissue.
Known as a flesh-eating infection, this rare
disease can be caused by different types of
It happens when bacteria enter the body
through breaks in the skin such as a cut,
scrape, burn, insect bite or puncture wound.
Most people who develop this condition
may have diabetes, kidney disease, cancer or
other chronic health conditions that weaken
the body's immune system.
ABOUT THE BACTERIUM
• Pain or soreness, similar to that of a "pulled
• Warm skin with red or purplish areas of
• Ulcers, blisters or black spots on the skin.
• Fever, chills, fatigue and vomiting.
Treatment usually includes an antibiotic
injection to a vein but because the bacterial
toxins can destroy soft tissue and reduce
blood flow, rapid surgical removal of dead
tissue may also be required.
Once a person's immune system is strong
and they practise good hygiene and proper
wound care, the chances of getting
necrotizing fasciitis are extremely low.
Source: Centres for Disease Control
Navin's parents said he had no
existing medical condition before
October 2, when he went to the
Princes Town District Health
Facility with a pain in his right
His mother said they thought
he had contracted chikungunya, as
she and two other members of
the family had had the virus.
His sister, Shanika Weekes, said
because Singh was in so much
pain, his parents took him to the
health facility. As he was an adult,
they were not allowed to go with
him to see the doctor.
Weekes said he came back out
a short while later and told his
parents he had been given an
injection and a prescription for
She added over the weekend
the pain intensified and on
October 27 he could barely walk
as his leg was swollen. He went
back to the health facility and this
time, Weekes added, he was so
wheelchair and wheeled in.
His mother, who accompanied
him again, interjected to say he
came out after approximately five
minutes with the doctor.
"I asked him what happened
and he told me he got another
injection. He was wearing a short
pants and I enquired what the
doctor said about his leg. Navin
told me the doctor did not
examine him," she said.
Weekes said by Wednesday
morning, her brother's condition
had deteriorated further and they
again took him back to Princes
Town facility where once again he
had to be put in a wheelchair, as
he could not get out of the car on
When they got inside, his
parents were told they had to wait
as there were many patients
ahead of him.
Bhagwantee said she called her
sister, who had a friend working
there, and that friend, taking one
look at Singh, saw his eyes were
yellow and rushed him in to see
the doctor on duty.
"At this point," Weekes said,
"the doctor called my mother and
asked her why she was now
bringing Navin to seek medical
attention. My mother told him he
was here twice before.
"The doctor turned to my
mother and told her, 'Your son
She said her brother was
transferred to the San Fernando
General Hospital where he was
first taken to the resuscitation
room and then to the Intensive
Doctors explained that the
infection, which had become
poisonous, had spread throughout
his body and all his organs were
They said it was a rare case and
explored possible causes with the
She said the doctors also
informed the family they had to
take Navin into the operating
theatre to relieve some of the
stress on his leg and that
amputation was also an option.
He died on October 30.
'PINCHED NERVE MISDIAGNOSED'
Links Archive November 5th 2014 November 7th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page