Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 8th 2014 Contents A9
Saturday, November 8, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Police Constable Rodel
Phillip can breathe a little more
easily as the police service pub-
lic information officer, ASP
Joanne Archie, has said disci-
plinary charges will not be laid
against him for not wearing a
Archie, in a telephone inter-
view said, "Our concern now is
ensuring the recovery of PC
Phillip, an officer who would
have put his life on the line,
while on duty, and ensuring that
all officers are equipped with
bulletproof vests. We pray for
the speedy recovery of PC
In a statement yesterday, the
police service said Phillip
remains in a critical condition
at the High Dependency Unit,
Mt Hope Medical Hospital.
Phillip, 25, who enlisted in the
T&T Police Service in July 2011,
was shot in the chest during a
shoot-out with Jonathan Ram-
logan on Tuesday. Ramlogan
died in the shooting.
After the shooting acting
Police Commissioner Stephen
Williams re-issued an order for
all police to wear their bullet-
Archie said Williams s state-
ment about the mandatory
wearing of bulletproof vests
came after Phillip s shooting.
At Wednesday s police press
briefing, reporters asked Archie
if failing to comply with the
instruction was a breach of dis-
cipline and whether Phillip, who
was not wearing a bulletproof
vest when he encountered Ram-
logan, would be disciplined.
She said her response to
reporters was that she could not
say he would be disciplined,
"since there may be a number
of reasons why he was not wear-
ing his vest."
Archie said on a CNC3 s news
ticker she saw Phillip faced dis-
ciplinary charges for not wearing
his bullet proof vest.
"That is not what I said. I do
not know how they put it in that
context. The poor officer must
have been quaking while lying
in his bed.
"Our concern is for the officer
to recuperate from that injury
and we will pray for his speedy
recovery. The issue of discipli-
nary charges does not arise at
this time. Our concern is for the
officer who is injured," she said.
"There are a number of reasons
why he would not have been
wearing the vest. I do not even
know if he was issued with one,
all of these things has to be con-
sidered. We cannot really make
a comment just yet."
Archie said an investigation
had been launched into the
shooting and would include the
issue of the bulletproof vest.
She also said an audit was
being done to see how many
officers had vests and how many
more were needed, and could
not say if there was a shortage.
Two employees of Nutrimix Ltd who claimed
they had good intentions when they stole pack-
ets of chicken breasts from their employer were
yesterday each ordered to serve 100 hours of
If Rick Lord, 20, and Miguel Samsingh, 19, fail
to comply they will be sent to jail to serve three
months hard labour.
San Fernando magistrate Margaret Alert also
ordered that the meat---two packs of chicken
breasts---should be given to a children s home in
Lord and Samsingh, who were charged sep-
arately with larceny, both pleaded guilty.
Court prosecutor Sgt Parasan Ramsumair said
Lord and Samsingh were searched around 7.50
pm on Wednesday by a security officer as they
were leaving their workplace at Harmony Hall
Industrial Estate, Marabella.
In Lord s bag, the security officer found a pack
of breast meat valued at $13.50, while a pack of
boneless chicken breast, valued at $126, was found
in Samsingh s bag.
They were taken to the Marabella Police Station
and charged by PC Ali. Samsingh told the police
he took the chicken to fry.
Neither of the accused had any previous con-
victions or pending matters, the prosecutor con-
Samsingh s attorney Annalee Girwar said Sam-
singh stole the chicken because his family was
having a get-together and his mother was having
Girwar said Samsingh thought he was helping
She said she had been employed as a trolley
man/packer for about a month.
Lord, who had been working at the Nutrimix
for four months, said he took the meat to help
out his cocaine-addict neighbour, who is poor.
No penalty for not using vest
Services at All Saints Anglican Church on
Marli Street, Queen s Park West, Port-of-Spain
will be held in the adjoining church hall from
A release said this was because the church is
currently undergoing extensive restoration work.
Services in the church are expected to resume at
the end of November. The times of regular serv-
ices will remain the same, the release said.
All Saints Church
PETER RAY BLOOD
The Flavorite Food National
Schools Soca Monarch Com-
petition has been divided into
two separate contests.
This was revealed on Thurs-
day afternoon when Caribbean
Prestige Foundation (CPF)
launched the 2015 edition at the
studios of Synergy TV, Ariapita
Synergy TV show host Mike
Jones announced that the two
competitions are the Secondary
Schools Soca Monarch and the
Soca Monarch Juniors.
Project co-ordinator O Brian
Haynes said the Soca Monarch
Juniors will have two prelimi-
naries nationwide, two semifi-
nals and a grand final on Feb-
ruary 12, 2015, to be dubbed
The Secondary Schools Soca
Monarch will consist of a
national preliminary, semifinal
and final, the latter of which is
scheduled for February 13, and
will be called "Awesome Friday,"
preceding the finals of the Inter-
national Groovy and Power Soca
Haynes added that before the
two competitions, workshop,
training and development ses-
sions will be held "to allow
young people to learn the
process of song writing, music,
stage craft as they interact with
established soca artistes, among
a multiplicity of aspects of the
music industry." The top three
contestants in the competitions
will be given professional studio
time to produce tracks of their
The Awesome Friday final will
also include full concert per-
formances by four prominent
CPF operations manager
Harande Elie singled out title
sponsor Flavorite Foods for spe-
cial mention, especially as the
company has partnered to pro-
duce this competition since its
inception 16 years ago.
In the absence of Education
Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh,
visual & performing arts cur-
riculum officer Josephine Torrel
brought greetings from the min-
ister and the ministry.
Soca artiste Olatunji Yearwood
ended the programme by offer-
ing words of advice and inspi-
ration to students.
In attendance were officials
from the Ministry of Education,
National School Feeding Pro-
gramme, reigning joint Junior
Calypso Monarch Sasha Moses,
primary and secondary school
students and parents.
Schools Soca Monarch splits into 2 contests
ASP Archie on injured cop:
Acting general secretary of the
Police Social and Welfare
Association acting Insp Michael
Seales said the association was
meeting on the issue and he could
not comment yet.
But on Thursday in an interview
with 195.5FM Seales said the
association "may be forced to tell
its members not to go into
dangerous situations without the
necessary protective equipment."
He said there might not be
enough bulletproof vests and
providing them must be made a
priority if the police were to
continue fighting crime.
"Some things you have to
prioritise and the bulletproof vests
is an issue that should be first and
"I would have heard the
(National Security) Minister
complain that the procurement
process for all equipment is
problematic. But he needs to
manage that and grapple with
that, or he may find himself with a
situation that if officers are not
given suitable vests, this
association will be telling officers
that you have to look at your
safety and well being." Seales
Senior Supt Northern Division David Abraham, right, greets PC Rodel Phillip, who is warded at the Mt
Hope Medical Hospital after being shot during a robbery in St Augustine on Tuesday.
Links Archive November 7th 2014 November 9th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page