Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 19th 2014 Contents JENSEN LA VENDE
The surviving two sisters of
the Brasso Seco family who
were abducted on the night of
October 26 were discharged
from the Eric Williams Medical
Sciences Complex, Mt Hope,
yesterday, four days after they
were rescued from their abduc-
tors by police.
The T&T Guardian visited the
Hibiscus Ward yesterday and was
told Felicia, 17, and Jenelle Gon-
zales, 19, had been discharged
just before visiting hours began.
A close relative said the girls
were feeling much better, con-
sidering the ordeal they went
The relative added that the
sisters, who have finally been told
of the deaths of their loved ones,
are now being kept at an undis-
closed location under police
guard for their safety, given that
Azmon Alexander, the man
labelled this country s most
wanted and the key suspect in
the abduction and murders of
the family and their neighbour,
is still on the run.
Police were still hoping the
public will assist them in cap-
turing Alexander yesterday. On
Monday his mother, Mary, sister
Vanessa and former girlfriend
Amelia Hosein appealed to him
to surrender, saying they would
rather he lived in jail than be
killed by police.
The teens were taken along
with their mother, Irma Ram-
persad, 49, and Jenelle s 14-
month-old daughter, Shania
Amoroso, from their Bleu Road,
Brasso Seco, home last month.
Sometime later, a neighbour,
Felix Martinez, 52, also went
missing but residents thought he
had gone hunting.
On November 8 Martinez s
body was found wrapped in a
sleeping bag with baby Shania.
On November 11 Rampersad s
decomposed body was found
near a tree. All three were found
in the Brasso Seco forest.
Rampersad and Martinez had
been strangled and the autopsy
on the toddler was inconclusive
owing to the advanced stage of
Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Taxi drivers working the Mayaro to Sangre
Grande route have increased their fares by $28 a
passenger as they now have to use an alternative
route after flood waters washed away about four
miles of the Manzanilla/Mayaro Road on Sun-
The hike came even as members of the commu-
nities continued their clean-up operations and the
Disaster Management Unit of the Ministry of Local
Government shut down their operations in Mayaro
after the Level Two alert for the eastern community
The T&T Guardian spoke to taxi drivers who
were awaiting passengers to go to Sangre Grande
in Mayaro yesterday and one of them, Gerry Audain,
explained the reason behind the price hike.
"Well, the fare was $12 when we used the Man-
zanilla stretch but now we are charging $40 because
we have to pass through Rio Claro and Biche to get
to Grande," he said.
Audain said while some customers have com-
plained about the increase others just bear it.
"One trip down used to take about 45 minutes
on the Manzan road. Now it taking us one hour
and 45 minutes to reach Grande."
He said out of the 20 drivers who usually ply the
route, only ten have been working since the road
was washed away.
"Most of the fellas not coming out. They don t
want to work their cars on the bad roads.
"For the day now, where we used to make four
and five full trips (back and forth), now we lucky
to make one," he said.
Audain said the increase in the fare was also for
the convenience passengers are afforded in not hav-
ing to take multiple taxis to get to Mayaro or Sangre
But passengers using the route, like school teacher
Velda Henry, said they did not know how much
longer they could afford to pay the steep fares.
Henry, a Food and Nutrition teacher at Guayagua-
yare Secondary School, who lives in Arima, said
her travelling costs have doubled since the increase.
"Normally I spend $70 a day on transport, now
I spend $130 every single day just to come to work,"
With an asthmatic daughter to take care of, Henry
said the cost was just too high for her to bear.
"I don t have a choice. I have to come to work
but now three-quarters of my salary going in trav-
elling," she lamented.
During the interview with Henry, a PTSC bus
drove into Mayaro, with a sign saying "Mayaro/San-
gre Grande." The PTSC yesterday implemented a
free service to Sangre Grande and Mayaro to provide
some relief to commuters.
Henry and another commuter, Gloria Marcano,
expressed joy upon seeing it, as the bus driver con-
firmed the service was free.
The driver, who did not want to give his name,
spoke to the T&T Guardian briefly, explaining that
yesterday was the first day of the free service.
"It s only today we started. We are supposed to
make five return trips for the day, I think. A lot of
people are glad to save that taxi fare," he said.
fares hiked to $40
Cops organise safe house as...
The funeral for the three
will be held after DNA tests
confirm their identifies. The
samples were sent to the UK
last week and it is expected
to be another two weeks
before the results are known.
The teens were rescued on
November 14, three days after
their mother s body was
found. They were found in
the Lalaja forest in a makeshift
camp guarded by two men,
who escaped after a shootout
with police and soldiers.
A 17-year-old, who police
said was involved in the
shootout, surrendered to them
the following day. He and five
other people, including rela-
tives of the family, are now
assisting police with their
Police said they have now
extended their search from
the Brasso Seco forest to the
Arima borough for Alexander.
Police say they are working
closely with relatives of
Alexander in the hope he sur-
for 18TH NOVEMBER, 2014
Police yesterday arrested a 20-year-old
man after he stormed into the Scarborough
RC School armed with a knife and sexually
assaulted a nine-year-old student.
According to police, around 1.30 pm the
man walked into the unguarded compound
and grabbed the child.
He then took her to a toilet cubicle where
he assaulted her. Other student who saw
what occurred called their teachers who
notified the police.
Cpl Cook and PC Henry of the Scarbor-
ough Police Station responded, held the man
and rescued the child. The girl was taken to
the Scarborough General Hospital. School
was dismissed early as other students were
said to be traumatised by the attack.
In a media release yesterday, Tobago House
of Assembly Secretary of the Division of
Education, Youth and Sport, Huey Cadette,
said a full investigation would be launched
and they would work closely with the Roman
Catholic Board to ensure the safety of the
pupils in future, as that was paramount.
Cadette said they also were reviewing the
security arrangements at all schools on the
island and a support team, comprising school
supervisors and social workers, would provide
counselling to parents, teachers and students.
The school will remain closed for the
remainder of the week as security arrange-
ments are looked at and to facilitate coun-
selling for those who require it.
Man sexually assaults girl, 9, in school
A passenger exits
one of the free
by PTSC for
affected flood areas
Links Archive November 18th 2014 November 20th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page