Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 25th 2014 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
for 24TH NOVEMBER, 2014
Acting Police Commissioner Stephen
Williams yesterday signalled his intention
to give the investigation into the murders
of German couple Hubertus and Birgid Keil
top priority by naming an experienced team
to handle the case.
A reward of $100,000 is also being offered
to the public for assistance in catching the
perpetrator/s and a hotline has been set up
to accommodate the provision of such infor-
mation. The hotline numbers are 708-9302,
708-9142 or 800-TIPS.
Speaking at a joint news conference at the
Tobago House of Assembly s (THA) Division
of Tourism in Scarborough, Williams said
although the incident was clearly a one-off
type event it was not a norm on the island
and police would give the case their highest
attention due to the implication for the
island s tourism thrust.
"We have put together a team of inves-
tigators, comprising numerous units of the
Police Service, including the Criminal Gang
and Intelligence Unit and the CID, and we
are in fact treating this matter as our highest
priority. It is being treated this way because
we know the implications of an incident like
this in Tobago," Williams said.
The team would be given the necessary
resources to ensure the crime was solved
effectively and efficiently, he added.
"I have given that assurance to the Assistant
Commissioner that all the available resources
that he requires we will be providing it to
ensure that this matter is extensively inves-
tigated, speedily investigated and not com-
promised in the investigation, by the way of
speed but treating with the matter so that
we can bring a successful closure to this
investigation with the arrest of whoever is
responsible for this heinous crime," he added.
Reward, hotline for Keils' case...
Special team to probe killings
From left, Tourism Minister Gerard Hadeed, acting CoP Stephen Williams, THA Chief Secretary Orville London, Secretary of Tourism Tracy
Davidson-Celestine, Tobago Tourism and Hotel Association president Christopher James and THA Chief Administrator Raye Sandy at yesterday's
press conference at the Division of Tourism, Scarborough.
The Keils --- Hubertus,
74, and Birgid, 71 --- were
discovered shortly after
passerby who called the
They had been hacked
to death and their
approximately one mile
east of the beach at
Bacolet Bay near the
mouth of the river.
There were chop
wounds about their
necks, hands and bodies.
The couple was last
seen on Thursday but
that the incident may
have occurred shortly
before the bodies were
found. Police later found
their villa locked and in a
pristine condition with
The T&T Guardian was
told the Keils lived alone
and have been visiting
Tobago annually for the
past 20 years during the
LONDON STILL STUNNED
IMPACT ON TOURISM
THA Chief Secretary Orville
London, having extended his
condolences, described the
incident as a horrendous crime.
He said the THA had decided to
involve all the various
stakeholders, inclusive of the
Central Government, THA, Police
Service and the private sector, to
ensure the issue was resolved.
He said there would be a co-
ordinated approach, co-ordinated
strategy and they would speak
with a co-ordinated voice
throughout the process
He added: "This horrendous crime
is not indicative of the Tobago
environment nor indicative of the
Tobago people and it is
something that we take very
seriously and something that we
intend to pursue with all
professionalism and all the rigour
that we can over the next couple
of weeks until this crime is solved
and the perpetrators brought to
"We want to send a powerful
signal to all the local, regional and
international communities that
this particular situation is going
to be treated at the highest level
and given the highest priority."
He urged: "I want to take the
opportunity to make an appeal to
the people of Tobago that they
have a responsibility to
collaborate in this process and
any information which they have,
even if it is mild suspicion, ensure
that information is handed over
to the relevant authorities."
Condolences have been expressed
to Chargé d' Affaires of the
German Embassy in Port-of-Spain
Dr Michel Freudenberg.
The German Embassy told the
THA it had been in contact with
the couple's daughter, Annegrete
Keil, to inform her of the situation.
Tourism Minister Gerard
Hadeed says the Government
had pledged full support to the
THA in the case but notes that
Tobago was still a safe place for
He said: "We in the Government
condemn this incident. The
uncharacteristic nature of this
type of incident does not fall in
line with the peace-loving,
happy people of Tobago.
"The Government of Trinidad
and Tobago will work hand-in-
hand with the Tobago House of
Assembly, with the police and
with everyone to ensure that
the safety and security of all
our citizens, the citizens of
other nations and the visitors
would be held in the highest
"This is uncharacteristic,
Tobagonians and Trinidadians
are not this way."
Hadeed said afterwards it was
unfortunate that every time the
tourism sector was set for a
bumper season something like
that happened to destabilise
In a statement issued through
his ministry earlier, Hadeed said
he had sent a message of
support and condolences to the
family members of the couple.
The release said the
Community Comfort Patrols
(CCP) would be expanded in
Tobago from December 1.
The release added: "The
increased visibility of the CCP
represents another layer in the
law enforcement strategy for
Tobago, with the emphasis on
prevention through deterrence."
Links Archive November 24th 2014 November 26th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page