Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 28th 2014 Contents RENUKA SINGH
Bidders for the heavily-contested Curepe
interchange project may get a second
chance at the multi-million-dollar roadway
construction as the National Infrastructure
Development Company (Nidco) is now
reportedly eyeing other options after failing
to persuade the second-ranked contractor
to reduce its bid price.
The T&T Guardian was informed yes-
terday that Nidco may be forced to quash
the entire tender process for the project
because talks with Lutchmeesingh Transport
Company (LTC) are faring no better than
those with the first-ranked bidder, Vinci
Construction, which also refused to drop
its bid price.
Nidco is still in talks with LTC for some
adjustment on the price and schedule of
work but there has been no resolution to
date and negotiators believe it will end in
a stalemate, the T&T Guardian was told.
Lutchmeesingh Transport was second in
the tender process and was among the three
companies shortlisted for the interchange
But with talks failing to find middle
ground, the already protracted project will
be further stalled if the contract cannot be
awarded and the whole tender process is
Nidco president Dr Carson Charles yes-
terday confirmed talks with LTC were at a
stalemate and Nidco now had two options.
"At this stage there are two things that
could happen: Either we proceed to the
third-ranked bidder (GLF-Coosals) or the
whole thing is quashed and we start over,"
He noted that there was no set deadline
date to begin the project or to complete
negotiations with contractors.
Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Friday, November 28, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Azmon Alexander and his accomplice, a 17-
year-old boy, were last night charged with the
triple murders of a Brasso Seco family.
Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard
gave the green light to charge the suspects shortly
before 8 pm, after reviewing a police file built by
investigators over the last few days.
Alexander was arrested on Saturday in Malabar
and the teenager was held by police on November
15 at Goat Hill, Bypass Road, Arima.
Police investigators said last night they had a
solid case against the two, who are scheduled to
appear before an Arima magistrate today.
They were charged with the murders of Felix
Martinez, 52, Irma Rampersad, 49, and 14-month-
old Shania Amoroso. They were also charged with
gun and ammunition offences, false imprisonment,
shooting at the police, burglary, robbery and other
serious criminal offences. Alexander was also charged
with escaping legal custody, having bolted from the
Mayaro Magistrates Court in January.
Alexander was charged hours after his attorney,
Fareed Ali, complained that his client was being
made to bathe with a hose in the same cell where
he had to defecate and sleep. This was a clear vio-
lation of the Police Service Regulations on people
in custody and to what they were entitled, Ali said.
Alexander was captured on November 23 by the
Northern Division Task Force in a car on Lennox
Yearwood Boulevard, Malabar.
He was deemed a person of interest in the dis-
appearance of Brasso Seco residents Rampersad,
her daughters Felicia, 17, and Jennelle Gonzales, 19;
Amoroso; and Martinez, Rampersad's neighbour.
Rampersad, her daughters and Amoroso were
reported missing on October 26. Martinez went
missing two days later but was initially believed to
have gone hunting. Martinez and Amoroso were
found dead in a blanket in the Brasso Seco forest
on November 8, while Rampersad was found three
days later. Autopsies revealed Martinez and Ram-
persad were strangled, but the autopsy on Amoroso
Felicia and Jenelle were rescued by police from
a makeshift camp on November 14 after a shootout
with two men who were guarding them. The sisters
were treated at hospital and have been in a safe
house since then.
Meanwhile, the police who were involved in the
exercise to catch Alexander and rescue the two girls
yesterday were awarded $300 each at a ceremony
at Police Academy, St James.
Second bite for bidders
LTC reportedly bid $313 million for the
contract while Vinci, the number one
choice in the tendering process, had
reduced its initial $522 million price to
$442 million after Nidco negotiated for
Nidco entered into talks with LTC
after Vinci refused to move under $442
Charles said yesterday the scrutiny of
the project was not new but the
interest in who eventually won the
contract was surprising.
The T&T Guardian also tried to
contact Parsad Lutchmeesingh, head of
Lutchmeesingh Transport Contractors,
but was told he was "out of the office"
Nidco eyes other options on Curepe interchange
The Curepe interchange project has been
under public scrutiny recently after a letter,
written by junior Minister of Works and
Infrastructure Stacy Roopnarine to Prime
Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, was
leaked to the media.
In her e-mailed letter, Roopnarine
detailed her concerns about ministerial
interference in the board-level award of
contacts and questioned her boss Dr Suru-
jrattan Rambachan's influence on board
Roopnarine has since withdrawn her
concern, saying she was only made aware
of the process of award and tender after
her letter was sent.
Before Roopnarine's concerns however,
MP for Diego Martin North East Colm
Imbert had raised the matter in Parliament
In a brief telephone interview yesterday,
Imbert said he had "too much to say"
about the whole matter and was out of
for 27TH NOVEMBER, 2014
CNC 3 News
SEA students during
a function at the
students are Daria
Woo, left, Renaldo
The function was
hosted by the Credit
Links Archive November 27th 2014 November 29th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page