Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : November 29th 2014 Contents A8
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, November 29, 2014
Has gone GREEN
OZONE FRIENDLY UNITS (410 GAS)
12000 BTU $2595.00
18000 BTU $3795.00
24000 BTU $4795.00
Cut electricity cost with our
12000 BTU $3900.00
18000 BTU $5200.00
24000 BTU $6900.00
R22 UNITS ALSO AVAILABLE
12000 BTU $2395.00
18000 BTU $3495.00
24000 BTU $4495.00
36000BTU $ 6895.00
PRICES INCLUDE INSTALLATION
Call 688-9229/email: coolinteriorstt@gmail
UNTIL STOCKS LAST
Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar urged
motorists to refrain from drinking and driving.
She was speaking at the formal opening of the
Valencia By-Pass Road yesterday.
She pleaded with motorists to abide by the traffic
laws and observe road safety regulations, especially
during the Christmas season.
“If you must drink, do so, knowing that you
won’t be driving and putting yourself and others
at risk,” she added.
She said the Government had spent $5.6 million
to install cable barriers along the Uriah Butler and
Solomon Hochoy Highways, beginning in 20111,
and since then they have been hit 425 times.
The barriers were erected to prevent cross-median
crashes which have led to multiple road deaths.
“While this may appear to be quite a lot of
money, it has been worth it because of the lives
of people have been saved,” she said.
The designs for the project had been done by
the PURE Unit of the Ministry of Works and Infra-
structure, Persad Bissessar said, and local contrac-
tors—namely Jusamco, Coosals, Lutchmeesingh’s
and Seereeram Brothers—completed the job.
She said a number of local subcontractors also
were involved in the project.
The PM said the project would bring ease to
commuters and provide a much safer road network
to support business expansion and growth.
The road was constructed because of the snarling
traffic at the Valencia intersection. Motorists will
be able to bypass the intersection by travelling from
the Valencia stretch directly to Antigua Road.
PM opens new Valencia link
The criminal charges against
hunger striker Dr Wayne
Kublalsingh was yesterday put
off until March next year.
Kublalsingh who completed
his 75th day without food and
water turned up at the Siparia
Magistrates Court in a wheelchair
on charges of obstruction, assault
and resisting arrest which arose
during a protest in September
last year at the Debe to Mon
Desir leg of the highway.
The leader of the Highway Re-
route Movement has been con-
fined to his home for weeks as
he became weaker and aban-
doned his strike camp outside
the Office of the Prime Minister,
Kublalsingh had to be lifted
into court by two HRM members
because the newly-refurbished
court had no access ramp for
When he appeared before Sen-
ior Magistrate Ejenny Espinet his
attorney, Lennox Sankersingh,
asked for an adjournment.
He said there were certain con-
stitutional matters that were con-
nected to the case and he wanted
time for those matters to be
Police prosecutor Sgt Drid-
genath Sookraj did not object to
the request. However, he
informed the magistrate three
witnesses were present, including
Inspector Anderson Pariman who
Espinet made a note of the
witnesses and agreed to the
adjournment. Kublalsingh was
told to return to court on March
27 next year.
Kublalsingh, who spoke briefly
with reporters after his court
appearance, said although using
the wheelchair looks “very cum-
bersome I am not suffering at
He extended his gratitude to
his supporters and especially
thanked President Anthony Car-
mona, chairman of the Mediation
Board of T&T Justice Vasheist
Kokaram, Transparency Interna-
tional T&T chairman Deryck
Murray, the Project 40 Group,
all of whom “are calling for
mediation” to resolve the dispute.
Kublalsingh said he wanted
everyone to know he was “in a
very happy place.”
However, he said he believed
his body was giving up but he
remained firm in his purpose.
Wayne’s case put
off to next March
Hunger striker mocked in song
Highway Re-route Movement (HRM) leader Dr Wayne Kublalsingh is assisted by
its members as he arrives at the Siparia Magistrates Court yesterday.
PHOTO: KRISTIAN DE SILVA
Paying tribute to residents of east
Trinidad for their fortitude, grit, courage and
patience following the recent floods, which
damaged homes, disrupted lives and
destroyed sections of the
Manzanilla/Mayaro Road, Persad-Bissessar
assured her government was working to
deliver a “quick, lasting solution.”
Follow us on
Outside the court, chutney
singer Kamal ‘D Complainer’
Sookdeo held on to Kublals-
ingh’s hand and began to ser-
enade him with a version of
Lord Pretender’s classic, Never
Initially, the song appeared
to be a show of support but
it quickly became a taunt as
Sookdeo remixed the lyrics
“Never ever worry, I say to
never ever worry. If you feel
you lost, always remember
Kamla is yuh boss, yuh boss.”
Kublalsingh quickly pulled
away his hand and his sup-
porters wheeled him away.
Sookdeo did not give up as he
continued singing the song as
Kublalsingh left the court-
Links Archive November 28th 2014 November 30th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page