Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 16th 2014 Contents A54
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, December 16, 2014
ST JOHN'S---The high level task force
commissioned with investigating the ill-
fated recent tour of India says the West
Indies Cricket Board, players union WIPA
and West Indies players, were all at fault
in the controversy.
In their report submitted to the WICB
this weekend, the task force said the while
the board and WIPA had "erred significantly"
in their administration of the new Memo-
randum of Understanding, the players also
needed to shoulder a "significant proportion
of the blame" for the abandoned tour.
The task force, headed by Michael Gordon
QC and including ex-WICB president Sir
Wes Hall and prominent Barbadian attorney
Sir Richard Cheltenham, also laid out eight
recommendations aimed at preventing a
repeat of the debacle.
This follows a month-long investigation
of the crisis which stemmed from the one-
day team s decision to walk off the tour of
India, in a contracts dispute with WIPA and
West Indies players on tour contended
the new MOU would have resulted in a
reduction of up to 70 per cent of their earn-
ings and asked for the agreement to be
When this did not occur, they quit the
tour following the fourth ODI in Dharamsala,
putting paid to the fifth ODI, the one-off
Twenty20 International and the scheduled
The task force concluded there was
"something fundamentally wrong" with
players arriving in India to discover the terms
of their employment had undergone "radical
change", and also said "very real questions"
existed as to whether the MOU was indeed
"Both Michael Muirhead and Dave
Cameron, CEO and President, respectively
of the Board, took the view that it was an
enforceable contract. Wavell Hinds (WIPA
president) on the other hand was equally
firmly of the view that the September MOU
was not in and of itself a contract but rather
an agreed understanding that would lead to
a collective bargaining agreement in much
the same way as the prior MOU/CBA
arrangement had worked," the task force
"This was fundamental. It is trite law that
if two parties to a negotiation do not agree
on the effect of a document coming out of
these negotiations then there is no meeting
of the minds and hence no enforceable con-
"The Board and WIPA were attempting
a sea-change in the financial arrangements
for West Indian professional cricketers with-
out ensuring that there was understanding
and acceptance by the WICB s employees,
the touring cricketers."
The report added: "Having said the above,
we are of the view that whilst WICB and
WIPA can neither be accused of bad faith,
they both erred significantly in failing to
ensure that their vision for the future of
West Indies Cricket with its ramifications
for the sharing of sponsorship money and
the concomitant changes in the level of remu-
neration for both the senior cricketers and
the new class of professional players was
clearly understood and the vision shared."
The task force also contended that the
players, especially the senior players on tour,
also played a key role in the abandonment.
According to the report, ODI captain and
players representative Dwayne Bravo, said
the squad had been aware of the imminent
arrival in India of a joint WICB/WIPA del-
This, the task force said, led them to believe
there were other factors influencing the deci-
sion to abandon the tour, though none were
"A significant proportion of the blame for
the termination of the tour must also lie
with the players, and in particular their lead-
ers. The tour was called off when the players
refused to play the 5th ODI on 17th October
2014. At that time according to Mr. Bravo
the players knew that Mr. Cameron, and Mr.
Hinds were due to come to India to meet
with them on the 21st October some [four]
days later," the report said.
"Their anxiety to bring the tour to a pre-
mature end without waiting the additional
[four] days certainly suggested to the Task
Force that, to use a West Indian phrase, there
was more in the mortar than the pestle .
There was, however, no information on what
the more was, but that it existed, the Task
Force felt certain." CMC
PERTH---Legendary West Indies batsman Brian
Lara stroked typically flashy half-century but failed
to prevent Australian Legends from a 50-run defeat
to Perth Scorchers in an exhibition Twenty20 clash
Chasing 180 to win at Aquinas College, the Legends
XI ended on 129 for five with the left-handed Lara
finishing unbeaten on 51 from 50 balls.
Lara started slowly before easing into his rhythm,
and beginning to find the boundaries with touches
of his old class.
The double world-record holder was the only bats-
man in his star-studded side to pass 20 as Dean
Jones (16), Andrew Symonds (13), Justin Langer (9)
and Adam Gilchrist (1) all fell cheaply.
Despite the loss, former Test star Langer said
playing in the same team as the West Indies great
was satisfaction enough.
"This is so much fun," the left-hander said. "To
be on the same field as Brian Lara -- I used to idolise
him. Even when I played against him I loved watching
Earlier, Ashton Turner thumped a top score of 75
from 38 balls while Englishman Michael Carberry
stroked 28, in his debut match for Scorchers ahead
of the Big Bash League starting later this week.
Marcus Harris chipped in with 23 and Sam White-
man got 22, while Scorchers seamer Yasir Arafat,
who played for Legends, was the best bowler with
two for 30 from four overs.
Symonds (1-43) and Andy Bichel (1-50) were
roughed up by the Scorchers batsmen but Michael
Kasprowicz proved miserly with one for 22 off his
four overs. CMC
Darren Bravo, Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine and
Kevon Cooper have been included in the T&T train-
ing squad in preparation for the Nagico Super50
which is carded to take place in T&T from January
15 to 25.
Bravo asked not to be considered for selection for
the T&T four-day team for the West Indies Cricket
Board (WICB) Professional League. Bravo did not
represent T&T in the first four rounds of the WICB
League, which is now on a break until February. The
left-hander was also chosen for the West Indies Test
team for South Africa which starts tomorrow, but
asked to be excused, citing personal reasons.
Fast bowler Rampaul who was left out of the 30-
man provisional West Indies squad for the ICC World
Cup in February, has also not featured in the four-
day competition this season due to personal reasons.
The pair will add strength to the T&T team which
has struggled in the four-day competition. T&T cur-
rently lies fifth in the six-team standings with only
Spin bowler Narine, who was reported for a suspect
bowling action in the Champions League T20 tour-
nament in India earlier this year has been included.
Narine has been doing remedial work on his action,
including sessions at the Queen s Park Oval.
Cooper s medium pace also came under scrutiny
earlier this year during the Indian Premier League.
The training squad held its first training session
yesterday at the National Cricket Centre in Couva
and the team will play its first practice match tomorrow
at Gilbert Park, California from 9 am.
....but all parties to blame
Lara stars in losing effort
for Aussie Legends
chief selector Clive Lloyd
believes the Caribbean side can
overcome their shortage of
preparation matches and excel
in the three-Test series against
World number one South
The legendary former West
Indies captain, who has lament-
ed the lone warm-up match on
the tour, said he hoped the
younger players especially
grasped the opportunity pre-
sented and capitalized on it.
"Not playing a lot of games
leading up to the Test match is
fident they will do very well.
We saw how Marlon Samuels
and Devon Smith played so
beautifully in the warm-up
match and that has given the
team confidence," said Lloyd,
appointed to his new role last
"It is the younger batsmen I
want to see take this opportu-
nity. We have the batsmen, and
if they apply themselves, this
will be a very good series. We
want to play against the best
and do well against the best.
"We are missing some of our
seasoned players and I want to
see the youngsters come out
and fight. Representing your
country is probably the most
important thing you can be
called upon to do."
West Indies suffered two
major blows to their batting
prior to the tour, with veteran
opener Chris Gayle and high-
class top order batsman Darren
Bravo both opting out for vary-
Devon Smith, who has played
33 Tests in a chequered career,
was called up to replace Gayle
while another left-hander Assad
Fudadin, with three Tests to his
name, replaced Bravo.
Kraigg Brathwaite, though slowly
cementing himself as the side s
number opener, is touring South
Africa for the first time while
Leon Johnson and Jermaine
Blackwood have played only four
Tests between them. CMC
West Indies physio CJ Clarke does work on fast bowler Jerome Taylor during the West Indies training
session at SuperSport Park yesterday. COURTESY WICB MEDIA.
Lloyd urges rookies to grab chance
T&T quartet in Nagico
Mark Deyal, Jason Mohammed, Marlon Barclay, Lendl
Simmons, Kjorn Ottley, Marlon Richards, Darren Bravo,
Nicholas Pooran, Adrian Ali, Rayad Emrit, Kevon Cooper,
Shannon Gabriel, Derone Davis, Yannick Ottley, Ravi
Rampaul, Jeremy Solozano, Navin Stewart, Yannic Cariah,
Justin Guillen, Evin Lewis, Ricky Jaipaul, Steven Katwaroo,
Kavesh Kantasingh, Akeal Hosein, Daron Cruickshank,
Imran Khan, Sunil Narine, Bryan Charles, Ancil Bhagan,
Samuel Badree, Jahron Alfred, Sherwin Ganga, Nicholas
Links Archive December 15th 2014 December 17th 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page