Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : December 21st 2014 Contents RESULTS
December 21, 2014 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
National badminton player Nicholas
Bonkowsky could not repeat the same
performance in round two of the men s
singles at the Puerto Rico International
tournament in San Juan on Friday, losing
to Brazilian Alex Yuman Tjong in straight
On Wednesday, Bonkowsky eased his
way to a 21-5, 21-7 win over Jose Figueroa
Justiniano of Puerto Rico in round one.
Against the fourth seeded Tjong, the Cana-
dian based Bonkowsky did not have as
much luck going down 12-21, 10-21.
On Friday in round one of the women s
singles, T&T player Kamasha Robertson
lost to American Christine Look 16-21,
Robertson and Bonkowsky were sched-
uled to play in the first round (quarterfinals)
of the mixed doubles yesterday against
the second seeded pair of Nelson Javier
and Vibieca Beronica from Dominican
There are only eight teams competing
in the mixed doubles category.
Quinton de Kock has been ruled out
of the rest of the series against against
West Indies with an ankle ligament
The wicket-keeper will miss the
remaining two Tests, and all of the lim-
ited-overs matches which includes three
T20s and five ODIs, with an eye on
making a recovery in time for the World
He requires between six and 12 weeks
of rehabilitation but South Africa s first
match of the tournament is in eight
weeks time, which team manager
Mohammed Moosajee said will "hope-
fully afford a sufficient recovery peri-
De Kock rolled over his ankle during
the warm-ups on the morning of the
third day of the Centurion Test and
was unable to keep wickets for the rest
of the match.
AB de Villiers, who did the job before
de Kock debuted in Sri Lanka, was
handed the gloves and will keep them
for the rest of the series. Cricket South
Africa said a player "to act as cover will
be announced in due course."
That would likely mean a Test debut
for the only reserve batsman in the
squad, Temba Bavuma.
The Lions No.3 has played 68 first-
class matches and an average of 35.95
and would likely bat in de Kock s posi-
tion in the lower middle-order.
If he plays, he will be the first black
African batsman to ever represent South
Africa and the first black African player
to turn out for the team in almost four
years, after Lonwabo Tsostobe was part
of the New Year s Test in 2011.
Alternatively, South Africa could
search outside the squad but that would
against their policy of promoting players
who have been non-playing members
of the squad before casting the net
A batsman who may come into con-
tention would be Farhaan Behardien,
who is currently second on the this
season s first-class competition run-
Rilee Rossouw, the Knight s batsman.
is injured, while Colin Ingram, who is
the third on the run-scorers list, has
accepted a Kolpak deal at Glamorgan.
More worryingly for South Africa will
be whether de Kock will return to full
fitness before the World Cup.
Since November last year, he has been
both the first-choice opener and wick-
etkeeper and has formed a successful
partnership with Hashim Amla at the
top, while also relieving AB de Villiers
of the workload.
Although de Villiers could find him-
self back behind the stumps, if de Kock
is not available for the World Cup, South
Africa will have to look for another
Morne van Wyk, who played at the
2011 World Cup and currently captains
the Dolphins, would be one option but
South Africa will hope de Kock is fit
in time. (ESPNCRICINFO)
ST JOHN'S---In-form Guyana left-hander
Narsingh Deonarine has been named to
replace fellow countryman Assad Fudadin
on the West Indies tour of South Africa.
Fudadin, also a left-hander, fractured a
finger during warm-ups on the opening day
of the first Test at Centurion last Wednesday
and was ruled out of the series.
He was forced to undergo surgery that
Deonarine has been rewarded for his good
form in the early rounds of the WICB Pro-
fessional Cricket League where he has com-
piled 306 runs at an average of 61, with two
The 31-year-old last played for West Indies
a year ago on the dismal tour of New Zealand
when West Indies lost heavily.
Overall, he has played 18 Tests at an average
of nearly 26, with five half-centuries.
Ironically, Fudadin was a replacement for
Darren Bravo, who pulled out of the tour
because of personal reasons. (CMC)
CENTURION---Left-arm seamer Kenroy
Peters or fast bowler Miguel Cummins
could be called up to replace Kemar Roach
who will miss the Boxing Day Test against
South Africa through injury.
Media reports in Barbados have indicated
that Cummins is almost certain to replace
fellow seamer Roach who limped out of the
first Test here on Wednesday s opening day
after injuring his ankle, and played no further
role in the contest.
West Indies crashed to an innings and
220-run defeat on the penultimate day yes-
However, it is understood that the 32-
year-old Kenroy Peters is under serious con-
sideration by selectors, especially after a
superb first class campaign last season, when
he finished as the leading wicket-taker with
40 scalps at an average of 12.75, earlier this
The Vincentian, who is yet to play for
West Indies, has also made a bright start to
the new WICB Professional Cricket League,
with 13 wickets in four outings for Windward
Cummins, meanwhile, managed paltry
returns of five wickets from five matches
last season, and has taken just a single wicket
in two matches in the current season.
However, at 24, the Barbadian is seen as
one for the future, reflected in his inclusion
on recent West Indies A tours.
Meanwhile, Roach remains bothered by
the injury, even though MRI scans revealed
no major damage.
Media manager Philip Spooner said yes-
terday the player experienced severe dis-
comfort whenever weight was placed on
Roach had been the most impressive of
the Windies attack with two for 52 before
he picked up the injury while running up
to bowl in the final session of the opening
A decision will be made shortly on his
availability for the remainder of the series.
De Kock ruled out
of the WI series
Fudadin in Test squad
in mix to replace
Women's Singles Round One
Christine Look (USA) def
Kamasha Robertson (T&T) 21-16,
Men's Singles Round One
Nicholas Bonkowsky (T&T) def
Jose Figueroa Justiniano (PUR)
Men's Singles Round Two
Alex Yuman Tjong (BRA) def
Nicholas Bonkowsky (T&T) 21-12,
Bonkowsky eliminated in second round
National badminton player
Nicholas Bonkowsky lost in
the second round of the
men's singles at the Puerto
tournament in San Juan,
Puerto Rico, on Friday.
Links Archive December 20th 2014 December 22nd 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page