Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 2nd 2015 Contents CAMILLE CLARKE
Five T&T nationals who continue
to languish in a Venezuelan prison
are calling for Government s inter-
vention to assist in their release.
Since March last year, Dominic Clive
Pitilal, 33, Andre Joseph Battersby, 56,
Asim Luqman, 34, Charles Wade, 36,
and Leslie Daisley have been in jail on
suspicion of terrorism.
They were among 22 Trinidadians
who were taken into custody after items
were allegedly found in their hotel
The items consisted of books and
The men have maintained that they
were in Venezuela to obtain visas in
order to travel to Saudi Arabia for Hajj.
As Saudi Arabia does not have an
embassy in T&T and its Caracas
embassy has jurisdiction for T&T, the
visas are issued there to T&T nation-
als.In an interview spokesman for the
families attorney Nafeesa Mohammed
said the Government needed to step
in and assist in their release.
She said the men have not been offi-
cially charged as former reports have
"Winston Dookeran has been silent,
he assisted in the release of the Iman.
They (Venezuelans officials) making
up a case as they go along. First it was
terrorism and now it is money laun-
dering. Nobody is following it up," she
Mohammed said the families of the
men are facing hard times since they
have been incarcerated.
"Oh God these people are suffering
and one of them is not doing well
health wise (In the jail) and they are
pleading for help for their release. We
wish our government will engage in
serious in dialogue with the Venezuelan
authorities," she said.
Mohammed said the men have not
been formally charged but there is an
intention on behalf of prosecution.
"It is a highly political process there.
We are cognisant that you can t inter-
fere with another country s system.
We want them to engage in dialogue
with our Venezuelan neighbours. We
saw other political prisoners being
released in other countries," she said.
However, she said National Security
Minister Gary Griffith met with the
When contacted, Dookeran said:
"This is a delicate matter and the min-
istry has taken all steps to provide coun-
cil and support to all those detained."
Friday, January 2, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
The Arima Vendors Associa-
tion held a ceremony on Wednes-
day to publicly express gratitude
to Arima mayor George Hadeed
and the Arima Borough Corpo-
ration for the mayor s interven-
tion which saw a designated
additional shopping area on
Green Street for expanded vend-
ing facilities in the borough.
The presentation to the mayor
and officials of the Arima Borough
Corporation was made by the
president of the Vendors Associ-
ation, Nestor Barahzer, in the
shopping area on Green Street,
In an expression of their grat-
itude the vendors presented
plaques to Hadeed, as well as
Inspector Erica Prieto of the Bor-
ough Police for accommodating
The borough police maintained
consistent patrols in support of
both the vendors and the con-
sumers who patronised the vend-
Hadeed said his decision to
approach the council to support
the vendors was based on his
belief in the importance of
encouraging small businesses
which the facility had managed
to do. He noted that plans were
already afoot to seek an alternative
area for Christmas 2015 to accom-
modate the growing number of
Taxi fares from the South Quay
taxi stand to the Port-of-Spain
General Hospital will now be raised
officially on January 5. The fares
will be increased from $3 to $4.
In an interview yesterday, pres-
ident of the Port-of-Spain Hospital
Taxi Drivers Association, Alastair
Saunders said there are a few "PH"
and "H" taxi drivers who were
increasing the fare during the past
"The "PH" cars are using the $4
structure to the hospital but the
fares were never increased. On the
way down from Observatory Street,
it is the same $4.
"They doing the same thing and
saying they are a Belmont car. This
is illegal and wrong what they are
doing. There are some "H" cars that
were also raising the fare and this
was conflicting to passengers," he
Arima Vendors Association president Nestor Barahzer, left, presents a plaque to Arima mayor George
Trinis detained in
call for govt help
Hike in fare from South Quay to PoS hospital
Arima vendors thank mayor
for Christmas shopping
A 15-year-old boy is expected
to appear before a Sangre Grande
magistrate today charged with
possession of a firearm.
Police said Cpl Vialva and other
Eastern Division Task Force officers
were on a patrol on Wednesday
afternoon around 5 pm.
The police said the teenager,
who was sitting in the front seat
of a car, was travelling from
Coalmine to Sangre Grande.
They said the boy had a black
bag on his lap which they searched
and found a shot gun.
He was taken to the Sangre
Grande Police Station and charged
by PC Nanan.
Boy, 15, held with shot gun in taxi
Links Archive January 1st 2015 January 3rd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page