Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 3rd 2015 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
POST YOUR VIEWS ON ANY OF TODAY'S STORIES @ WWW.GUARDIAN.CO.TT
Saturday, January 3, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Shoppers crowd the entrance to a clothing store on Henry Street, Port-of-Spain, during the store's closing down sale yesterday.
PHOTO: JEFF MAYERS
Charges of misbehaviour in public office,
assault and malicious damage are to be
laid against two south Special Reserve
Police (SRP) officers for the alleged abuse
of a wheelchair-bound man last week.
Officers of the Professional Standards
Bureau received instructions yesterday from
the Director of Public Prosecutions to lay
charges against two suspended officers, aris-
ing out of the December 27 incident involv-
ing paraplegic Robby Ramcharitar.
They will both appear before a San Fer-
nando Magistrate on Monday to answer the
charges. The male officer will be charged
with misbehaviour in public office, while
the woman officer will be charged with
assaulting Ramcharitar and maliciously
damaging a car which was parked on High
The car was damaged when Ramcharitar s
wheelchair collided with it after he allegedly
was pushed away by the woman police offi-
cer.The alleged incident shot into the
national spotlight last week and created a
social media firestorm after a video of the
officers allegedly assaulting Ramcharitar,
46, on High Street, San Fernando, surfaced
on Facebook. The video showed Ramchar-
itar being violently slapped and pushed
Both police officers were expected to
attend identification parades and be inter-
viewed by officers at the Professional Stan-
dards Bureau s San Fernando office at 10
The woman police officer turned up for
the interview, which lasted for two hours.
She later attended the identification parade.
The male officer, citing advice from his
attorneys, declined to attend the identifi-
cation parade and interview session at the
San Fernando Police Station.
However, around 4 pm yesterday, officers
from the Professional Standards Bureau
detained the 32-year-old man at a house
in Princes Town and took him to the San
Fernando Police Station.
Ramcharitar was interviewed by Cpl Joe-
Up to late yesterday, Joefield was inter-
viewing the male officer.
victim suing State
The 17-year-old boy who captured on his
cell phone two Special Reserve Police (SRP)
officers allegedly assaulting paraplegic Robby
Ramcharitar says he does not know how to
"Just how I tape it, it s just how I upload it,"
the teenager said at High Street, San Fernando,
Responding to a claim by a relative of one the
accused officers that the video was edited to
omit Ramcharitar cursing and threatening to
spit on the officer, the teenager said whatever
his phone recorded was loaded to social net-
working site Facebook days after the incident.
He said it was the same video that investigators
from the Professional Standards Bureau got from
his phone when they took his statement at the
San Fernando Police Station yesterday.
Clarifying last Saturday s incident again, the
teenager said he was not expecting anything like
this to happen. He claimed a man was using
obscene language while talking to the police. He
said another man came out of a van and con-
fronted Ramcharitar. The teenager said he never
saw the man before that day.
Despite the video going viral and generating
heavy criticism against police brutality, the
teenager said he regretted capturing the incident
as it was frustrating giving interviews everyday
since last Monday when the video went viral.
"Everyday people coming to bother me. Next
time I am not taping anything. Whatever hap-
pens, happens," he said. Asked why he recorded
it, he said, "because it seemed funny at the
Police marking us
Co-workers of the teenager claimed that since
the video was captured, police officers have been
marking their movements and trying to intimidate
them. One of the men said a dougla police officer
had been constantly passing their workplace,
looking at them.
They said last Saturday, he followed them
from the top of Lord Street to Library Corner,
San Fernando, and eventually lined them up
against a wall and searched them, but found
"Police have been marking us since the day
it happened. They have been talking to us, asking
us questions to see if we will say something out
of the way. Look, I really don t want to say any-
thing more because they are passing right through
and they will see us talking to the Guardian."
Southern Division Senior Supt Cecil Santana
said he would not tolerate any officers interfering
with witnesses, and he would investigate any
claims of threats or intimidation taking place.
He said, "We are not going to tolerate that
kind of behaviour, certainly not in this division.
We are not going to encourage that kind of
behaviour. I want those guys to come into my
office on Monday morning where I will interview
"We will pay some attention to what is hap-
pening and whatever action has to be taken will
be taken. We are not going tolerate that kind of
the behaviour from police officers. They can t
interfere with witnesses. That is an offence."
...denies editing it
Wheelchair-bound paraplegic Robby
Ramcharitar says he will be initiating legal
action against the State, even though
charges are to be laid against the two
officers accused of abusing him last week.
Ramcharitar's attorney Rekha Ramjit,
instructed by attorney Alvin Pariag Singh,
confirmed she had received instructions to
initiate proceedings on Ramcharitar's
She said by Monday she would issue a
pre-action protocol letter to the Attorney
General's office and the two officers
signalling her intention to take legal action
on Ramcharitar's behalf.
"We are exercising his right to take
action against the Government because
the police officers are servants of the
Government and he has the right to sue
them. The pre-action protocol letter is the
first aspect of that (course of action),"
She said if the officers were charged
that criminal matter would have no impact
on the civil proceedings being initiated by
"They are two separate matters. The
State can charge the officers, but the civil
action for the assault and battery and
humiliation that he was subjected to is a
separate (legal) action," she said.
Ramjit said Ramcharitar remained a
patient at the San Fernando General
She gave the assurance that the
wheelchair-bound man was not seeking
"The San Fernando General Hospital is
not the safest of places, but we have no
reason to believe that the officers are
going to do anything further or untoward.
We would not be going down that road at
this point in time (to seek protective
custody)," Ramjit added.
RAMCHARITAR TO SUE STATE
Links Archive January 2nd 2015 January 4th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page