Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 4th 2015 Contents news
January 4, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Sunday Guardian
Senseless was how
Brenda Lewis summed
up the murder of her
nephew Daryl Bastein,
32, after he was shot
three times yesterday
during an altercation
over a cellphone charg-
er. As tears flowed down
her cheeks at her mother s
Quinam, Siparia, home,
Lewis made an impassioned plea to the
Government to reintroduce the hangman.
"They say it inhumane, but shooting
somebody is not inhumane? We have to
go the American way, they have the lethal
injection, the lethal chair. Is the system
here that have the criminals so bold, they
not afraid of getting caught."
She said it was unfair that taxpayers
money was being used to maintain con-
victed murderers in prison.
Describing Bastein as her brother, she
said her mother Josephine, 67, took care
of him after his mother died when he was
just two. Although he lived alone at
Ritoville, Siparia, she said he would eat
his meals and bathe at his grandmother s
house and called her mom.
Recalling the incident, she said Bastein,
who worked with a contractor hired by
WASA, left from his grandmother s house
at Trainline Road around 7 pm and
returned about 9 pm Friday.
She said Bastein and a man
who only began frequenting
the area three weeks ago
had an altercation over a
"Everybody thought that
finish there." But around
5.30 am yesterday, she said
Bastein was on his way to
his grandmother s house to
collect lunch before going
to work when the man
blocked him. The two began fighting and
Bastein s friend intervened and stopped
the fight. "Eyewitnesses say the guy told
Darly when you come up the hill you will
get what coming to you. "
When Bastein got to his uncle s house,
a short distance from his grandmother s
house, she said the man scrambled Bastein
again. When the man fell on the ground,
she said he pulled out a gun and shot
Bastein three times in his neck, side and
back. He died on the scene.
"That was a senseless killing."
And when the police arrest Bastein s
killer, she said she will not get the justice
she wants. "If he get lifetime in prison,
he getting three square meals. Prisoners
have rights but what about the victims
rights?" Jenelle Reyes, 31, who has a six-
year-old son Isiah with Bastein, said
although they were not together he took
care of Isiah and her other son, Laurent,
Getting it right
In yesterday s Guardian, it was
reported that attorney Alvin Pariah
Singh had been retained paraplegic
Robby Ramcharitar to pursue a law-
suit against the state following a
recent incident involving two SRPs
in San Fernando.
We have since been informed that
attorney Rekha Ramjit, of the firm
Rekha P Ramjit, has been retained
to pursue the matter. Our apologies
for the error.
Man murdered over
Jenelle Reyes comforts her sons Laurent and Isiah Bastein following the
death of their father Daryl Bastein, who was murdered at his Siparia home
yesterday. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Exactly nine months ago today,
Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal
was ambushed and assassinated
in Woodbrook, Port-of-Spain,
while on her way home.
With this anniversary in mind,
Seetahal s family and friends are
now "extremely concerned" that
the police investigation into her
murder may have gone cold.
Seetahal s sister, Financial Intel-
ligence Unit (FIU) head Susan
Francois, yesterday said the family
was worried that the investigations
would fall off the police radar hav-
ing continued into another year.
"It has been nine months," Fran-
"The family is extremely con-
cerned that we have not been
apprised of any progress leading
to the arrest of the person or per-
sons involved in this."
Francois also said the family was
initially informed of the progress
of the police investigations but
have since been kept out of the
"We have not heard anything
for quite some time," she said,
adding that the investigators used
to meet with the family "from time
to time" but no longer did.
The investigations were initially
headed by former Assistant Com-
missioner of Police Wayne Dick,
but have since been transferred to
Acting Deputy Commissioner
Francois said she was not even
aware if the person with respon-
sibility for heading the investigation
had been changed.
"The family was not informed
of any such transfer. We really do
not know what is the status of the
investigation," she said.
The Sunday Guardian under-
stands that Seetahal s family is
meeting next week to decide on
their next course of action.
No word from investigators in months
Family fears Dana
case will go cold
Seetahal was murdered in the early
hours of May 4, 2014, after leaving the
Mau Pau casino in Woodbrook.
Reports on the incident stated that
Seetahal was ambushed by attackers in
two vehicles at the corner of Hamilton
Holder Street and O'Connor Street,
Woodbrook, and shot to death at close
range with a small handgun.
Early media reports noted that as many
as 15 spent shells were collected at the
site, but autopsy reports revealed she was
shot five times. Seetahal's murder rocked
the legal fraternity, country and the region.
In the days immediately following her
assassination, speculation and rumour ran
wild, and several sectors of the society
were incriminated in her murder.
Reports initially pointed to Muslim
members of an East-based mosque,
whereas later in the year reports claimed
that the triggerman behind her murder
was killed in a police shootout.
By June 2014, published reports put the
investigations at a "critical high point."
A LOOK BACK
Acting Commissioner of Police Stephen
Williams, former lead investigator Wayne
Dick, and current investigator on the case
ASP Kenrick Edwards have described the
investigation as "sensitive" and "at a critical
point." The three men also refused to reveal
any details of the investigation.
Williams said the case dominated media
interest last year, which led to all kinds of
theories being ventilated in the public
"I cannot say which are true and which
are not because to do that would be to
dissect the evidence available to us and say
which is correct and which is not correct,"
"And I cannot do that."
He said, however, the details of the
probe were not for public consumption.
"The fundamental issue is whether the
police can solve the case or whether it will
remain unsolved. That is the issue. And I
can tell you that investigators are working
assiduously to solve this murder," he said.
Asked how many times investigators
had met with the Director of Public
Prosecutions (DPP) for guidance, Williams
said that was not an important issue.
"It does not matter how many times
because it is not like the investigators go to
the DPP with a pool of clues and
leads...some cases they could meet with
the DPP once and solve the case, other
investigations require much more
meetings," he said.
However, the Sunday Guardian
understands that the officers have held
several hours-long meetings with DPP
Roger Gaspard over the past few months
and have recently been guided by him on
the case. The investigations are "far from
cold," police sources said.
Edwards, in a brief interview yesterday,
also refused to comment on the case.
"I am not at liberty to discuss or disclose
any information because of the stage that
the investigations are at right now," he said.
Dick confirmed that he had handed over
the case to Hackett, but also said he was
not at liberty to discuss the case.
"Yes, I have handed over the case but I
cannot venture into any information that
may have a detrimental effect on the
investigations," Dick said.
CoP: PROBE AT SENSITIVE STAGE
Links Archive January 3rd 2015 January 5th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page