Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 15th 2015 Contents A5
Thursday, January 15, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Three teenagers, including a university
student, were each granted $35,000 bail
on a charge of allegedly assaulting a man
in an attempt to rob him.
A 16-year-old and two 18-year-old boys
pleaded not guilty when the charge was
read to them by Senior Magistrate Nanette
Forde-John in the San Fernando court.
It is alleged that on Sunday at Blitz Village,
Pleasantville, they assaulted Michael Francis
with intent to rob him.
They were represented by attorney Martin
Asking for bail, Jadoonanan said the
teenagers who live in Pleasantville had no
previous convictions nor pending matters
and they had strong family support.
He said the 16-year-old was a Form Five
student at a secondary school in San Fer-
One of the other teenagers was at uni-
versity pursuing studies in psychology, while
the third accused was undergoing skills
training at a tertiary institution.
The magistrate granted them bail with
their parents as surety.
The matter was adjourned to February
Participants go through an exercise routine during the first Yoplait/Nature Valley Soca Get Fit burnout session, held at the Queen's
Park Savannah, yesterday. PHOTO: SHIRLEY BAHADUR
JENSEN LA VENDE
The T&T Police Service says it is illegal to enter
your vehicle when it is being towed and such action
can result in a $10,000 fine or a two-year prison
sentence upon conviction.
In a media release yesterday, public information
officer Supt Joanne Archie said the police were "con-
cerned by the unacceptable practice."
She added that once a car has been hooked up to
the wrecker and the driver appears and claims the
vehicle the police shall release the vehicle and ticket
the driver for violating the traffic law. Archie was
responding to a video of two police women dragging
a woman out of her car which was being wrecked.
Asked why was the vehicle wrecked when the owner
had clearly returned to it and therefore the car should
have been released and the owner ticketed, Archie
said the wrecker might have moved the car. She added
that once the vehicle had been moved, no matter the
distance from its parked position, the owner could no
longer claim it and have it released.
She added that based on the video it was difficult
to say whether the car had been moved or not but
urged citizens not to continue the practice of entering
their vehicles once it had been connected to the wrecker.
She added that this was tantamount to obstructing
police in the execution of their duty. "This practice
can result in serious injury to persons," she said.
Addressing concerns that officers were abusive when
they dragged the woman out of her car, Archie, in her
release said, "In addition, Section 4(1) of the Criminal
Law Act 10:04 authorises a person to use such force
as is reasonable, in the circumstances, in the prevention
of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest
of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons
unlawfully at large."
She added that if police abused their powers or
used excessive force, then citizens were asked to lodge
a report "and the matter would be thoroughly inves-
A 56-year-old businesswoman has been placed
on bail after appearing in court on two criminal
charges arising out of her alleged response to the
wrecking of her vehicle on Charlotte Street, Port-
of-Spain, on Tuesday.
Julia Persad, of Sangre Grande, pleaded not guilty
to both charges when she appeared before Magistrate
Carl Quamina in the Port-of-Spain Third Magistrates
Court yesterday morning.
After the charges were read, Persad s lawyer Nigel
Floyd requested that Quamina endorse the temporary
$500 bail bond granted by a Justice of the Peace
which allowed her to be released from the Central
Police Station on Tuesday evening.
While court prosecutor Rawle Ramharack did not
object to Persad s bail, Quamina said the sum was
insufficient to cover both charges. He then increased
the bail bond to $5,000.
Persad, the owner of a store in downtown Port-
of-Spain, became an Internet sensation after a short
video clip of the incident was recorded by a curious
onlooker, who later posted it on social media Web
Persad is charged with obstructing WPC Joanne
Brown in the execution of her duties and resisting
Both charges carry a maximum fine of $10,000
and up to two years imprisonment.
Persad was told to reappear in court on February
17, when a date for her case will be set and prosecutors
are expected to disclose the evidence against her to
Against the law to
enter towed vehicle
on bail for 2 charges
Three Sando students on bail for assault
Several ministries, including Tertiary
Education, Housing, National Security
and Health will not face any cuts in
expenditure as Government begins
restructuring its budget following a dras-
tic decline of global energy prices.
Although calls have been made by Inde-
pendent Senator Helen Drayton to abandon
the proposed $41 million constituency
fund, there has been no official word on
whether this will be done. However, major
subsidies including the Government Assis-
tance Tertiary Education (GATE), will con-
A government source revealed over the
past two days, ministers have been meeting
to discuss expenditure cuts.
Some of the areas where cuts will be
made is expected to be disclosed today at
the weekly post-Cabinet briefing.
In an interview yesterday, Minister of
Works Dr Suruj Rambachan confirmed
he has already started rescheduling con-
struction projects which fall under his
He reiterated that those projects were
not being abandoned but were being
"rescheduled and re-prioritised."
"One of the things we are doing at my
ministry is we are adjusting the projects.
All of these projects are important and we
will keep the construction sector going.
"We have quite a number of jobs coming
out of these projects so we have to keep
the retail construction sector going," Ram-
Asked whether he intended to reduce
expenditure by cracking down on inflated
contracts, Rambachan said: "We have dealt
with that. Contractors do measured work
which are done at market rates and open
tendering projects so we have curtailed
inflated contracts considerably."
He said some projects, including the
coastal erosion project at Mosquito Creek
and several box drains along the Beetham
Highway will go on.
However, he said other construction
projects would be rescheduled after con-
Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal
also said major projects under his ministry
These include construction of the Couva
Children s hospital, the University of the
West Indies south law campus in Debe
and several housing estates.
However he said further scheduled
upgrades for the Brian Lara stadium would
be put on hold.
Health Minister Dr Fuad Khan said there
would be no expenditure cuts to his min-
istry and major projects such as the Point
Fortin Area hospital will continue.
Govt expenditure cuts
to be disclosed today
Links Archive January 14th 2015 January 16th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page