Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 27th 2015 Contents A8
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, January 27, 2015
January 26, 2015
January 26, 2015
January 26, 2015
January 26, 2015
January 26, 2015
A ten-year old boy of Enterprise,
Chaguanas, who was being phys-
ically abused by relatives, and his
seven-year old brother have been
placed by the police in a safe house
in Point Fortin.
Insp Michael Sooker of the
Chaguanas Police Station said after
the boys were taken from the home
of their mother and stepfather in
Crown Trace, Enterprise, on Friday,
they were kept at the station until
they found the safe house for them
on Saturday in Point Fortin
"It was the only one we found.
They were with us in the station
the whole of Saturday and we fed
them pizza and other food," he
Sooker said the police received
the report of the medical done on
the boys and found evidence of
physical abuse on the elder but they
were not recent.
He said two relatives, held by the
police on Friday after a viral video
showed the ten-year-old crying and
cleaning a big piece of overgrown
land with a garden tool, were
released pending further enquiries.
"We have to interview neighbours
and other people," he added.
The boys may not be returned to
their parents since relatives have
called the police asking for custody
of them, Sooker said.
"The children are for different
fathers which could have compli-
cated the situation. Their mother
has no children with the stepfather.
"The grandmother of the elder
boy called us and asked if she could
"She also said she communicated
with the father of the seven-year
old and he is willing to take him,"
Sooker said social workers, the
Ministry of Gender, Youth and Child
Development and the Victims Sup-
port Unit from the Chaguanas sta-
tion were involved in the case.
He said the police were also seek-
ing legal advice on the matter and,
in the meantime, the boys were
The video of the exhausted-look-
ing ten-year old cleaning the land
was filmed by concerned Crown
Trace resident Desiree Cabrales-
Cupidore and posted on Facebook.
A bass player from Siparia Deltones is about to hit a note
while playing Ola sung by Olatunji Yearwood during the
South Central Region small conventional Panorama
preliminaries at Skinner Park, San Fernando, on Sunday.
PHOTO: TONY HOWELL
The impasse between lec-
turers of the University of
the West Indies St Augus-
tine Campus has ended.
Members of the West
Indies Group of University
Teachers (WIGUT) have
accepted the accord Minister
of Tertiary Education Fazal
Karim. In Parliament, last
Friday Karim said the min-
istry and UWI campus man-
agement said the lecturers
would be paid in tranches by
The UWI lecturers, senior
administrative and profes-
sional staff are owed $87
million for their revised
terms and conditions from
August 1, 2011 to July 31,
Dr Russell Ramsewak,
president of WIGUT, said:
"The accord that was
reached had been agreed to
and accepted by the mem-
bership of WIGUT.
"WIGUT has agreed and
accepted the proposal out-
lined scheduled agreed to
from the ministry."
For the past month lec-
turers have withheld stu-
dents grades as part of their
leverage for receiving their
due backpay. In response
students held protests
demanding that the lecturers
release their grades.
Ramsewak said as the
agreements were accepted,
the students would receive
their grades within 48 hours.
President of the Guild of
Students Council Matthew
Peters said the guild was yet
to be formally informed of
the end of the impasse but
said if it was true he was
happy that the students reg-
istration process would final-
ly be completed.
"I am glad to know the
impasse is over, paticularly
for the students. Now we can
concentrate on registration,
particularly with the regional
students who needed their
registration fees," Peters said.
Two relatives released pending probe
UWI impasse ends
Lecturers accept Govt's offer
HITTING THE NOTE
After spending a weekend in prison, a 42-
year-old accountant accused of defrauding
her employer of $1.5 million has been
released on bail.
Joanne Gobin, of Upper Bournse Road, St
James, was granted $400,000 bail when she
reappeared before Magistrate Christine Charles
yesterday in the Port-of-Spain Magistrate s
Court yesterday morning.
Charles had refused bail Gobin last Friday,
as police had not processed her criminal record
for her court appearance. During yesterday s
hearing, the record, which showed that Gobin
did not have any previous conviction or pend-
ing criminal charges, was presented.
As a condition of her bail, Gobin was
ordered to surrender her passport. She is also
to give the court two week s notice if she ever
decides to move from her current home.
Gobin, an employee of SMJ Limited, faces
515 fraud and larceny charges.
The company, based at the Fernandes
Industrial Estate, Eastern Main Road, Laven-
tille, operates an employment outsourcing
service for supermarkets.
Half the charges are for allegedly stealing
the money in tranches, ranging from $500 to
$15,000, while the rest were for making fraud-
ulent entries in the company s accounting
records. The charges carry maximum sen-
tences of ten years and five years in prison,
respectively. Gobin is accused of registering
fake staff into her company s payroll database
and of withdrawing their corresponding
salaries from the company s account.
The offences are alleged to have taken place
from January 2011 until the discrepancies were
discovered by the company and reported to
the Fraud Squad last year. She is being rep-
resented by Criston J Williams.
Meanwhile, a 35-year-old credit union
manager charged with effecting a fraudulent
$50 million wire transfer is having difficulties
in accessing his bail.
Last week, Darren Singh, a manger at
Cement Workers Credit Union (CEMCU),
was granted $3.5 million bail for the charge.
When he reappeared in court yesterday,
his lawyer Martin George claimed the clerk
of the peace at the St Vincent Street court-
house, twice refused to accept documents
presented by Singh relatives. George claimed
that the public servant then advised his client
that she would not be entertaining any further
attempts to access the bail.
Magistrate Charles expressed shock upon
hearing George s claims as she stated that
such a decision by the clerk was not allowed.
George also applied to vary Singh s bail
condition barring him from contact with a
colleague, the State s main witnesses against
him. George stated that the witness was
Singh s tenant and Singh wished to evict him
from the property.
After the claim was verified by police pros-
ecutor Sgt Callistas Charles (no relation),
Charles decided to permit the communication,
albeit only through George.
Singh is accused of using a fraudulent doc-
ument to transfer a substantial sum from the
Unit Trust Corporation (UTC) to an account
at Republic Bank s branch,Tropical Plaza, Point
The transfer allegedly took place on January
18, 2013. UTC has claimed that the discrepancy
was detected by its staff shortly after and the
transfer was reversed.
Singh will reappear in court on February
for woman on
Links Archive January 26th 2015 January 28th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page