Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : January 30th 2015 Contents A10
Friday, January 30, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:
FEBRUARY 06, 2015
Senior Magistrate Debra Quin-
tyne yesterday ordered police to
return the quantity of TT and US
currency and a Toyota Hilux pick-
up they seized during the arrest of
attorney Sharma Boodram, son of
deceased drug lord Dole Chadee.
This as Boodram, of Pascal Road,
Piparo, who is also a farmer, reap-
peared before the Princes Town First
Court on charges of gun and ammu-
nition possession and possession of
one gramme of marijuana yester-
Boodram s attorney Richard Valere
had applied to have the items, as
well as two cellphones, returned to
his client if they are not being used
as part of the prosecution s case.
He requested Quintyne make a
formal order instructing the police
to return TT$16,340 and US$1230,
the pick-up and the cellphones
seized from Boodram on January 19,
when he was arrested along Atkin
Valere also made an application,
under section 63 (1) of the Summa-
ry Court (Amendment) Act, for
Quintyne to allow his client to prof-
fer a formal admission that the
firearm allegedly seized is in fact a
firearm, so that the weapon would
not need to go to the Forensic Sci-
ence Centre for testing.
He said this would allow for the
matter to go to trial.
Richardson did not object to the
Quintyne accepted Valere s appli-
cation and ordered that he put the
admission in writing. She said that
the law is available to attorneys to
do the same and "it ought to be
used more often."
However, she hastened to add that
the admission would apply to the
firearm only in the matter.
Prosecutor Sgt Roger Richardson
did not object to returning the items,
since he said it did not form part
of the case against Boodram.
He said Boodram s relatives were
free to come to the police and
retrieve the items, as Boodram was
yet to secure bail.
No bail for Chadee's son but
Cops ordered to
return seized items
However, Quintyne contended that
she could not make any order for the
release of anything, since a report on the
seizure of the items was not laid before
"Where is the report? This is the first
time I am hearing that there is a car
seized and cellphones," she lamented.
She said there must be some evidence
or statements before the items are
released to Boodram or a person
designated by him. She said she must
have the particulars of the items and
hear from both Boodram and the
prosecution before a formal order is
Boodram then took the witness stand,
where he testified that on January 19
after his arrest police seized his white
Toyota Hilux, a quantity of cash and his
Samsung S5 and Ram cellphones.He
asked that the items be returned to him
or his common-law wife Anisa Dindial.
Constable Devon Andall, who arrested
and charged Boodram, confirmed that
the items were seized and were not
being used for any charge or matter
before the court.
Quintyne then made the formal order
for the release of the items.
She also told Valere the fact that the
admission will be done "does not mean
he will get a trial date. The court has to
be space ready."
ACCUSED TAKES STAND
Almost six years after a
retired police inspector was
assaulted and wrongfully arrest-
ed by security officers at the San
Fernando General Hospital, the
security firm has agreed to pay
him $60,000 in damages plus
his legal costs.
After being assaulted, arrested
and charged, Christopher Reid,
71, sued the Innovative Security
Technologies Ltd and on May 9
last year before Justice Andre des
Vignes, the security firm admit-
ted liability. He was represented
by attorney Kevin Ratiram.
When the assessment for
damages came up before Master
Marissa Robertson yesterday, an
order was made by consent for
the security firm to pay Reid
$60,000 in damages and $7,500
However, a 28-day stay of
execution was ordered.
Reid, an outpatient of the San
Fernando General Hospital, went
to the hospital on June 15, 2009
because he had a clinic appoint-
When he arrived at the
entrance of the hospital s car park
in his vehicle around 9 am, a
female security guard told him
to drive up, turn around and
return to car-park entrance to
He complied with her instruc-
But, when he returned Estate
Constable Darren Maharaj
allowed three vehicles in front
of Reid to enter the car park and
told him to go back down the
hill to the compound s entrance,
turn and come back up the hill.
According to court documents,
Reid told Maharaj he had an
appointment, but he was
ignored. The EC then allowed
two vehicles that were behind
Reid into the car-park.
Reid again informed Maharaj
that he had an appointment, but
Maharaj responded angrily and
refused to allow him to park.
Reid then drove into the car
park and parked his vehicle.
When Reid came out and was
locking his vehicle, Maharaj
approached him from behind,
grabbed his arm, tripped him and
pushed him face-down to the
Reid s face, forehead and
mouth struck the ground.
Maharaj then placed his knees
on Reid s back. Two other secu-
rity officers then handcuffed
Reid. After pleading for medical
treatment, Reid was taken to the
hospital where he was treated for
abrasions and bruises to his face,
right knee, left knee, left shoulder
right hand and multiple soft tis-
Reid was then walked while
handcuffed to the police station
where he was charged with
resisting arrest, obscene language
and assaulting EC Maharaj.
The charges, however, were in
May 2010 dismissed by San Fer-
nando Magistrate Alicia Chankar
for want of prosecution.
Retired cop gets $60,000 for wrongful arrest
Links Archive January 29th 2015 January 31st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page