Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 1st 2015 Contents SBG14 FINANCE
SUNDAY BUSINESS GUARDIAN www.guardian.co.tt FEBRUARY 1 • 2015
Ultra-Pharm Marketing Limited
Tel: (868) 640-4276
Relieves joint pain and osteoarthritis symptoms
Supports vital joint and bone health
Builds and protects cartilage
Relieve your joint pain for good and get on with life.
Do you know if you are
an investor? Before
answering, ask yourself
• Do you own stocks or shares in a company
registered on the T&T Stock Exchange?
• Do you participate in a mutual fund?
• Have you ever taken part in a government
If you answer yes to any, then you are an
investor and you need to be aware of and
understand your rights and responsibilities.
Your right to information
All consumers have a right to receive truthful
information about any product that they intend
to purchase. As an investor you are a consumer
of financial services and you also have the
right to receive:
• information about an entity s history,
expertise and its advisers;
• complete information about the risks,
obligations, benefits and costs of any potential
• investment advice that is consistent with
your personal objectives and your risk toler-
Your responsibility to ask
Connected to this right is the responsibility
• Ask questions of the broker-dealer;
• Research the background of any financial
professional with whom you intend to conduct
• Get information on the entity s perform-
ance and track record.
Your right to choose
Before selecting a product, you should always
compare competing alternatives. It is important
• Explore all of your options
• Choose the investment products that best
satisfy your goals
• Choose the investment provider that can
help you achieve your goals.
Your responsibility to comparison
It is your responsibility to:
• check the TTSEC s Web site for a list of
individuals and companies registered to offer
various investment products
• verify that the investment intermediary
with whom you are dealing, is registered with
• review the prospectus of every investment
opportunity in which you are interested
• ensure that you fully understand the
Your right to redress includes:
• The right to receive information on the
process for raising and resolving complaints
regarding the provision of investment advice
• The right to receive information about
alternatives available to you if the entity is
unable to resolve a dispute to your satisfac-
• The right to change investment advisers
if you are dissatisfied with the service you
• The right to lodge a complaint with the
T&T Securities and Exchange Commission
(TTSEC) in relation to any securities matter.
You are entitled to complain and receive
some form of redress, if you have a problem
with an investment product that you have
purchased or the service that you have received.
As an investor, you have the responsibility
to be aware of the process for redress which
is listed below.
1. The first step is to consult the entity so
that they can address your concern or prob-
2. If that process fails to resolve the issue,
then the TTSEC should be informed and may
adjudicate upon the matter in accordance with
the securities legislation.
However, a loss on your investment due to
prevailing market conditions is not a legitimate
basis for a complaint since all investments
carry some element of inherent risk!
Remember, the best way to protect yourself
is to always verify everything that you are told.
Scams can be very convincing. (If something
sounds too good to be true, it usually is!)
Also, always remember it s your money.
• Don t be afraid to ask questions.
• Make sure your questions are answered
to your satisfaction.
• Take notes during conversations with
• Beware of high-pressure sales tactics.
• Never assume a salesperson is an "expert."
Always get a second opinion perhaps from
an attorney or other professional adviser.
• Never accept a verbal agreement; get it
• Never sign any document before reading
• Take your time to make decisions. Don t
allow anyone to rush you.
Educate and empower yourself! If in
doubt, contact the TTSEC.
Visit our Web site, Facebook or YouTube
pages; read our blogs or call 624 2991.
Links Archive January 31st 2015 February 2nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page