Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 13th 2015 Contents A5
Friday, February 13, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
The explosion that injured six men who were
removing parts from a ship on the Port-of-
Spain port was not the first technical problem
the workers encountered.
Yesterday T&T Guardian visited the Port-of-
Spain General Hospital during visiting hours
where four men are warded.
Wilton Nicholas, the supervisor of the injured
workmen, was at the hospital to see how the
men were doing. He said on Sunday the workers
were sent home due to technical difficulties
with under-performing extractor fans.
"Sunday we came out to work but we could
not work because it was unsafe. It did not have
any blowers. Something with the power supply
was not working properly so we had to leave
the work and we came back out yesterday
(Wednesday) to start up the work," Nicholas
The six injured workers were employed with
Maritime Preservation Shipping Yard where
they were hired to remove two silos on the port
and starboard side in the bow.
Nicholas said last year they were hired to dis-
mantle the entire ship but that job was cancelled.
Two of the injured men---Keith Matthews
and Junior St Louis---were warded in Ward 43
of the hospital. They received burns about their
body. St Louis suffered burns on his face.
Matthews was burnt on his arms, neck and
The other victims are Cyril Robinson, Josiah
Glasgow, Anthony Hospedales and Junior St
Louis. Robinson remains in the Intensive Care
Unit while Glasgow was discharged.
Mathews said yesterday doctors would check
his arms to see if he needed any skin grafts.
After the explosions, Matthews said, men
from the work site took some of the injured
men in a truck to the hospital.
"I just heard boom and that was it. I cannot
say I saw or smelt anything. I hope that we get
compensated. It is horrible. I think it is neg-
ligence on the company s part. We started the
job a couple days before. We had issues and we
corrected it," he said.
Their job, which started last week Friday, he
said, was to remove the silos which were large
storage tanks. Nicholas said the silo previously
contained water as the ship was a storage vessel.
"Our job was to take the silo out, put it in
the land and they would take it from there.
Taking out the silo would take about three to
four days. We had six extractors which were
doing the job fine, pulling out the smoke and
letting in fresh air, fine," Nicholas said.
He said on Wednesday the extractor fans were
working fine and he had no idea why there
would have been an explosion.
"The fellas and I were doing the job we were
working comfortable. I don t know what it was...
we were working fine. I would like to know
what is going on," he said.
Recounting the events that led up to the
explosion, Nicholas said he wanted to view all
of the reports to understand what happened to
Nicholas said he was liaising with the health
and safety officer and other officials in the com-
pany during the investigation.
When asked if he had an idea what caused
the explosion, he said he was not an expert in
the matter and could not answer that question.
However, he added that previous reports in the
media that it was another gas explosion were
A A A
There will be more police
officers and soldiers than last
year on the streets of Port-of-
Spain and other areas where
Carnival celebrations are held,
National Security Minister Carl
Alfonso assured yesterday.
He said so at yesterday s post-
Cabinet media briefing.
He added the security sector
aimed to provide a safe and
secure Carnival and he had spo-
ken to the Police Commissioner,
Chief of Defence Staff and head
of the National Operations Cen-
tre.He said they assured him
things "will be much better than
they were last year."
Alfonso said while there had
been some problems with the
Police Social and Welfare Asso-
ciation having challenges, and
wanting to take action, he said
he had spoken to the association s
general secretary Insp Michael
Seales and hoped to have a meet-
ing last evening on the issue.
He hoped the officers would
turn out for duty, but if not,
Alfonso assured "things will be
He was confident and happy
to know the security personnel
wanted to do what they were
trained to and he wanted to
encourage masqueraders that
things would "hopefully be better
than last year."
"There are no guarantees peo-
ple won t misbehave but we want
to minimise that, (so) have a ball,
a good time and enjoy yourself."
Alfonso also assured that peo-
ple could use glass bottles. He
said whatever applied on that
last year and obtained now
remained in place.
"There won t be any law that
prevents drinking from a bottle.
Having glass bottles off the road
is a noble idea but more consul-
tation is needed and government
has decided, we will take it up
after Carnival, perhaps Ash
Wednesday, but for 2015 , drink,
feel free to drink from your bot-
Alfonso said he served in the
Defence Force for 36 years and
for the most part, never saw a
Carnival Tuesday as he was
always working on that day.
Injured after ship explosion:
w w y
Meanwhile, Alfonso said he
believes law enforcement
officials were continuing
investigations into the death of
Chadee was shot dead at her
Chaguanas home on January 17
and the killer is yet to be
In a report, the mother of the
victim, Waheida Khan-Chadee,
claimed the suspect was being
protected by the police.
Speaking at yesterday's post-
Cabinet press conference,
Alfonso said: "I frown upon
such behaviour from all
enforcement agencies. I am
sure the police administration is
taking action as I speak." (CC)
Two men from Santa Cruz
and Belmont were arrested on
Wednesday after they were held
with pure cocaine with an esti-
mated street value of $4.5 mil-
According to police reports
the men, aged 54 and 66, were
travelling along the Golden
Grove Road, Arouca, when their
vehicle was intercepted by mem-
bers of the Northern Division
Task Force led by Insp Pam-
The NDTF, along with mem-
bers of the Criminal Gang Intel-
ligence Unit, had earlier been
given information about the
men s illegal activities and had
them under surveillance.
Sgt Pitt and Cpl Bedasie,
along with Pamponete, inter-
cepted the car around 1 pm after
monitoring the men s activities
for most of Wednesday morning.
When the vehicle was
searched three packets of cocaine
weighing three kilograms were
The men will be placed on
several identification parades
before being taken to court.
The exercise was spearheaded
by Snr Sup David Abraham.
2 rr r $ .5
C r r y r r r r $ 20,000 r r r ry 20 5
A m y ( A) m m w r C m x y .
PHOTO COURTESY THA INFO DEPARTMENT
A C A
Links Archive February 12th 2015 February 14th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page