Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 14th 2015 Contents A60
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Saturday, February 14, 2015
SAO PAULO---Fifa doesn t like the choice
of Manaus as a football host city for the
2016 Olympics, saying it prefers games be
played at cities closer to games centre Rio
Football s governing body said yesterday
it does "not consider Manaus as a suitable
first option for a hosting venue."
Fifa s statement came a day after Rio
organisers announced they were adding
Manaus to the list of proposed host cities
to "integrate all of Brazil" in the games. The
city is about 3,000 kilometres (1,800 miles)
from Rio in the Amazon jungle.
The other proposed cities, beside Rio, are
Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Salvador and
Brasilia. All of them hosted matches during
last year s World Cup.
Fifa said the organisers proposal will be
discussed in March, when Fifa s Olympic
organising committee meets in Zurich.
"Fifa has always been in favour of using
the Fifa World Cup stadiums since all of
the infrastructure is already in place," the
governing body said.
"Given that the Olympic Football Tour-
nament is only two weeks long, Fifa s pref-
erence has also always been on short dis-
tances between the other football venues
and the Olympic city Rio de Janeiro to pro-
vide the participating teams with the best
possible Olympic experience."
In addition to the distance from Rio, Man-
aus could also be a problem because of the
heat and humidity in the region. There were
complaints during the World Cup because
of the weather conditions in the city, includ-
ing from the international players union,
Football is the only Olympic competition
that will be played outside of Rio.
A veto of Manaus would come as a blow
to Rio Olympic organisers and the Brazilian
football federation, which have been praising
the city as a good choice and as being fully
capable of hosting matches.
"The Amazon rainforest is one of the
country s most emblematic symbols and
we would like very much to include Manaus
in our proposal to integrate all of Brazil in
"The five cities we have approved were
great successes during the World Cup," said
Carlos Nuzman, president of the local
Olympic organising committee.
Fifa s stance against Manaus appeared to
come as a surprise to Brazilian organisers.
Before Fifa released its statement, Manaus
officials made public comments already
considering the city as an Olympic venue.
Fifa also said Friday that it "welcomes"
the choice of using two venues in Rio de
Janeiro---the Maracana, where the World
Cup final took place, and likely the Engenhao
stadium, which will also host the athletics
competitions at the Olympics.
Sao Paulo also wants to use two venues.
One is expected to be the Itaquerao stadium,
which opened the World Cup. (AP)
MADRID---Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu
was questioned by a National Court judge for
more than three hours yesterday, as a suspect
in a tax fraud probe linked to the signing of
Bartomeu emerged from the court in Madrid
accompanied by a legal representative, and declined
to comment. The club later said in a statement
that Bartomeu answered all of Judge Pablo Ruz s
questions, and defended "the correctness of the
decisions taken in this matter, always under the
guidance of the club s tax advisers."
The citation arises from a request by State Pros-
ecutor Jose Perals that Ruz investigate Bartomeu
and the club over an alleged fraud committed in
the signing of Neymar.
Perals submitted his request to Ruz based on
a tax official s audit of Barcelona s accounts that
appeared to show the club failed to pay the correct
amount of taxes on the deal.
Ruz is trying to determine whether Bartomeu,
as club president, defrauded Spain s Tax Office
of 2.8 million euros ($3.2 million).
Barcelona has lodged 13.5 million euros with
the tax office, and hopes the case will be settled
out of court. In its statement, Barcelona said "there
has never been the intention of defrauding the
Neymar s transfer fee has been under scrutiny
since his presentation at the Camp Nou on June
3, 2013. When he was named a suspect in the
case, on February 4, Bartomeu blamed Real Madrid
and the Spanish state. He said: "All this comes
from someone who did not want (Neymar) to
come to Barca." (AP)
MILAN---Serie A has approved goal-line technology
for next season.
League president Maurizio Beretta made the
announcement following a meeting yesterday, saying
the approval was unanimous.
Beretta adds that three different systems are being
considered---one that is used in the English Premier
League, one that was used in last year s World Cup,
and a third "innovative technology."
Beretta says that once the system is chosen it could
be tested in this season s Italian Cup final on June
7 or in the Italian Super Cup in August.
Italian football federation president Carlo Tavecchio
is also a proponent of full instant replay use, and
has offered FIFA to use Serie A as a test for the tech-
nology. However, no decisions on full replays have
been made yet. (AP)
LONDON---West Ham manager Sam Allardyce
expects to be without striker Andy Carroll for at
least a month with a knee ligament injury.
Carroll was forced off in Wednesday s 0-0 draw
at Southampton. A full diagnosis was due later Friday,
but Allardyce believes Carroll will be out "four to six
weeks if we are lucky."
Allardyce explained that the "medial ligament on
the side of his knee has a tear in it from a fairly
innocuous collision." Having missed the start of the
season and much of last year with injuries, Carroll
is set for another setback.
Allarydce says: "it is traumatic when someone is
going through a period when in a short time they
overcome one injury and another occurs."
West Ham is eighth in the Premier League. (AP)
Fifa: Manaus not 'suitable'
option for 2016 Rio Games
Barca pres quizzed
in court over
Goal-line tech approved
for Serie A next season
West Ham's Carroll
out for at least a month
Links Archive February 13th 2015 February 15th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page