Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 17th 2015 Contents ANNA-LISA PAUL
Deputy Police Commissioner, Operations,
Glen Hackett, yesterday heaped praises on
law enforcement officers for their commit-
ment and devotion to duty, which has been
described as mainly crime-free.
Police officers had threatened a boycott
for Carnival but agreed to come out and
work once their salary negotiations are
resolved after the festival.
Except for a few minor incidents, none of
which were life-threatening, Hackett also
commended the members of the public for
adhering to law and order.
Admitting that they had been surprised
with the lack of attendance during the J Ou-
vert celebrations, Hackett and other senior
police officials admitted that this might have
resulted from the numerous anti-crime ini-
tiatives such as the stop-and-search exercises,
as well as roadblocks set up at various
entrance points into Port-of-Spain, and the
body searches conducted at City Gate, the
main pedestrian hub.
Hackett said these initiatives were nec-
essary to apprehend people carrying weapons
and other illegal items.
Also full of praise for the masqueraders
as they publicly showcased their talents to
the international community, Hackett sur-
mised that the police exercises had "acted
as a deterrent" to those thinking of using
the revelry as a cover to carry out illegal
Although the J Ouvert celebrations came
off as scheduled during the early hours yes-
terday, other police sources said by 8 am,
the celebrations had come to an end, as many
revellers retuned to their homes to prepare
for Monday s mas.
Providing an update around 11.30 am yes-
terday, Hackett said a total of 32 people had
Of this number, 12 were arrested in Port-
of-Spain---one for malicious wounding,
four for marijuana possession, four on
inquiries and three prohibited immigrants.
The remaining 20 included people held
since Friday night, throughout the district,
for various offences.
Informed that there had been reports
of a shooting at the Queen s Park Savannah
around 9 am yesterday, Hackett said
despite numerous investigations, "There
was no evidence to support this claim."
Police officers assigned to the Casualty
Department at the Port-of-Spain General
Hospital, also reported that there was
nothing to support this claim as up to
midday, no one had been brought to the
facility seeking treatment for gunshot
Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Six months after he survived after an
assassination attempt, Keston Alexis was
found dead in Penal with multiple gunshot
Alexis, police said, was a state witness in
a murder, but also had several criminal matters
pending in the courts. Police reports said his
body was found by a passerby around 10.30
pm on Sunday.
Police said the body was lying in a pool of
blood at a two-storey carpark at Ramkissoon
Alexis, 28, was shot multiple times including
in his head, chest and abdomen.
He lived with his 23-year-old common-
law-wife in Penal.
Police are yet to ascertain a motive.
Last year August, Alexis was liming with
friends in Penal when an occupant of car fired
several shots at him. He was struck in the
Detectives of the Homicide Bureau of Inves-
tigations South are continuing investigations.
The burnt corpse found in La Brea on Thurs-
day night has been identified as car salesman
Toolsie s parents were able to identify him by
his feet and shoes which were not burnt.
An autopsy is expected to be performed
tomorrow at the Forensic Science Centre, in St
A passerby discovered the body around 7 pm
off Southern Main Road, La Brea, and contacted
The police found a white Hyundai Tucson
van parked at the side of the roadway a short
Investigations are continuing. ---SW
killed in Penal
A Form Three student was shot on Sunday
at La Horquetta.
Police said around 2.10 pm, Carnelle Hinds,
a student of Mt Hope Secondary, was in a car
when another vehicle approached them.
Two men came out and opened fire, police
The gunmen escaped in the waiting car.
The student was taken to the hospital where
she remains warded.
Investigations are continuing. ---Camille Clarke
Student shot at
in La Horquetta
DCP Hackett praises officers
Police officers attend to an injured man on Piccadilly Street, Port-of-Spain, yesterday.
PHOTO COURTESY TTPS
Murder in Morvant
Following a mid-morning shooting in the
Morvant district yesterday, police also began
searching for a suspect after one of the
victims succumbed to his injuries at hospital.
The deceased was identified as Antoine
Anton, 29, of Las Lomas.
Hackett stressed that the shooting was
not Carnival-related. Anton and a female
companion were injured in the incident.
Hackett assured that investigations were
continuing as the suspect was known to the
Officers from the Morvant Police Station
said Anton was visiting a woman at Leon
Street, Morvant, when they were attacked
and shot several times.
The two were taken to the Port-of-Spain
General Hospital, where the woman was
treated and warded, while Anton underwent
emergency surgery. He died around 12.30 pm.
Hackett said while many people chose not
to participate in the revelry within the capital
city, close monitoring of the crowds indicated
that there had been "shift" towards the west,
as more and more people headed towards
Ariapita Avenue, Tragarete Road and St
Assuring the public that the police were
prepared for all contingencies, Hackett said
additional officers had been deployed to
these areas to ensure law and order were
Public Information Officer, Supt Joanne
Archie confirmed Hackett's information that
the anticipated numbers of people visiting the
capital for J'Ouvert were "far less than
She too commended the officers for their
diligence and dedication to preserving law and
order, and ensuring the public enjoyed an
Highlighting an incident at the Piccadilly
Greens which occurred around 8 am
yesterday, Archie said officers had to assist an
elderly man who was assaulted by two men
and later pushed into the path of an oncoming
Unable to provide the man's name and
address as he had no personal documents on
his person, Archie said the injured man, who is
of East-Indian descent, was taken to the Port-
of-Spain General Hospital as he had been
experiencing black-outs since the incident.
Anyone with information can contact the
authorities at the hospital to assist in
identifying the victim.
a huge success
Links Archive February 16th 2015 February 18th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page