Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 20th 2015 Contents CAMILLE CLARKE
Executive officer of the T&T Blind Wel-
fare Association Kenneth Surratt is calling
on the Ministry of Education to act speed-
ily to have the School for the Blind re-
The School for the Blind at Paxvale,
Santa Cruz remains closed displacing
around 18 blind and visually impaired chil-
dren since September last year.
In a telephone interview yesterday, Surratt
said electrical works have been completed
at the San Fernando and Port-of-Spain
branches of the Blind Association.
"Fire Service came and identified the
areas and this work was completed so we
would like to hopefully open those branches
on March 2nd," he said.
However, the school is still in need of
certificates from the public utility inspector
and Fire Service.
"We had a walk through and meetings
with the school supervisors in January and
were given recommendation. The Ministry
of Education did not contact us for them
to complete the work. Since last year the
children who are visually impaired are not
given an education. As a result of that,
agents on behalf of the ministry are breaking
the law which states every child under 12
must be in school," he said.
Surratt said the affected parents attempt-
ed to enrol the children in other schools.
"Parents who have blind children
approached other schools and were refused.
What you want the children to do? School
is closed and other schools refuse them,"
President of the Public Services Associ-
ation (PSA) Watson Duke said that is a
matter for the OSHA authorities and the
building was not safe.
"You can't have blind people in a building
without a fire certificate. How they suppose
to react? Safety is important in this country.
It is the employers responsibility to ensure
that they are safe and the State has to ensure
that they live a particular life. This is the
right of all employees to work in a safe
environment. The State cannot deny that.
Fix it," he said.
Officials at the Ministry of Education
said the ministry did all they were required
"The Watson Duke issue is a part of it
and payment. We did what we are suppose
to do. Some students are attending school
but some are affected by issues posed," the
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Friday, February, 20, 2015
6.1000 6.2239 6.3733
4.7584 5.0088 5.2843
9.1340 9.6147 10.1339
6.7458 7.1008 7.4913
****** 0.0524 0.0555
2.0984 2.2809 2.4406
* 2.5519 ****** 3.2507
for FEBRUARY 19TH, 2015
School for the Blind remains
closed since September
not cold says
Acting Police Commissioner Stephen Williams
said the Police Service is the organisation respon-
sible for operational matters and any reports regard-
ing investigations must come from the Police Serv-
ice.Williams's statements came in wake of comments
made on Tuesday by National Security Minister
Brigadier Carl Alfonso who was reported as saying
he had not yet received a briefing on the murder
investigation of Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal.
Alfonso was also reported as saying he did not
know the reason he was not given a report on the
probe as it had been more than 280 days since Seetahal
Williams, who spoke at Wednesday's media briefing
held at the Police Administration building, Port-of-
Spain, said he had not heard Alfonso's statements
but if he (Alfonso) did make those comments then
it was "rather unfortunate."
"I could tell you that whatever information by way
of direct dialogue the minister would seek out from
the police by way of update we would generally give
it but the operational side of the business is vested
in the Police Service and that's what we pursue.
"I know the media generally would target the min-
isters to ask them about operational things and I am
sure overtime the minister would point you to the
Police Service and those persons who have the oper-
ational responsibility to addressing those crime matters
as against the minister seeking to answer those crime
matters," Williams said.
He said the probe was one which required intensive
work adding that results would be given due course.
Pressed further as to when an arrest would be
made Williams said, "It is in that context of intensive
and extensive work that we are looking forward to
the completion of that investigation and the kind of
results that the society is anticipating.
"The investigation is not a cold investigation. It
is actively being pursued."
Seetahal was shot dead by gunmen on May 4 last
year while driving her Volkswagen SUV along Hamil-
ton Holder Street in Woodbrook after leaving Ma
Pau Members Club.
A $1 million reward was offered by Crime Stoppers
for information leading to the arrest and conviction
of those involved in her murder.
Probe into St James
house fire ongoing
Investigations are still continuing
to determine the cause of a fire which
destroyed a house at Henry Pierre
Street, St James on Tuesday night.
Senior fire officials said yesterday
although investigators returned to the
scene of the fire on Wednesday, they
were unable to determine the cause, as
further checks were still being done.
Additionally, damage are also to be
The two-bedroom dwelling house
belonging to Jerry Evelyn was destroyed
by the blaze which reportedly began
around 7.15 pm on February 17.
Police have also launched a criminal
investigation into the matter, after fire
officials reported smelling an accelerant
at the scene--- leading them to believe
the fire was deliberately set.
Preliminary investigations revealed
claims that a music truck pulled down
electrical wires, which ignited the blaze,
Evelyn's property is located next door
to the house which is used by the Asy-
lum Family as a band room and record-
An attendant of the Emergency Health Service stabilises an unidentified man who crashed into the Diego Martin river near Crystal
Stream on Wednesday. PHOTO COURTESY REACT TEAM 4928
Links Archive February 19th 2015 February 21st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page