Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 24th 2015 Contents A10
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, February 24, 2015
23rd - 27th February
2nd - 6th March
7th - 8th March
9th - 13th March
16th - 20th March
To Be Announced
6.1000 6.2435 6.3933
4.7307 4.9797 5.2536
9.0993 9.5782 10.0954
6.7095 7.0626 7.4510
****** 0.0525 0.0557
2.1051 2.2881 2.4483
* 2.5600 ****** 3.2610
for FEBRUARY 23TH,2015
Please be advised that ALL branches
TEACHERS CREDIT UNION
will be CLOSED
Friday 27th February, 2015
To facilitate a Legally Required Workshop
Any inconvenience is regretted
By order of
The Board of Directors
Teachers Credit Union
Faced with upcoming exams and no tutelage,
students of the fire-razed Barrackpore West Sec-
ondary School yesterday joined their parents in a
protest as they called for the immediate resumption
The students also called on Education Minister Dr
Tim Gopeesingh to say why their school was still
closed, three weeks after the fire razed ten classrooms
at Block E.
Saying they were not prepared for the upcoming
CXC and CAPE exams, the students complained they
were only half-way through their syllabus.
One parent Shasta Ann Ramkissoon broke down
in tears, saying she could not understand why the
ministry had not repaired the fire-razed building.
"When I am upset I cry. I don t know what to do.
It will cost me $700 to send my child for extra lessons.
I am worried about his exams and why they are not
opening the school," Ramkissoon said. She said her
son, Alex Sonnylal, was also worried since the school
was shut down.
Diane Lewis also said that only one block was
affected by the fire yet all classes were terminated.
"Why did they shut down the entire school? There
are places on the compound where classes could be
held. This is not right," Lewis said. She also said not
all parents could afford to send their children for
Sherwin Cyrus said that extra lessons cost $50 an
"The school has to put something in place for
these children. They have to allow Forms Five and
Six to come to school. We want the minister to do
something about this now," Cyrus said.
Namdeo Samaroo said if the minister continued
to delay, parents would have no choice but to take
"We are peaceful people in Barrackpore but if they
want us to burn tyres and get on we will do that,"
Samaroo said. Licensed electrician and former vice
Southern Division police have
captured one of the two men who
had been described as persons of
interest in the disappearance of 12-
year-old schoolgirl Jade Peters.
Peters, of Dow Village, California,
went missing last December 26, 2014,
after leaving her home to purchase a
phone card at a nearby parlor.
On Sunday, two officers from
Southern Division Task Force were
on patrol along the M2 Ring Road in
Diamond Village, San Fernando, when
they spotted the man coming out of
some bushes on the side of the road.
Police said he appeared to have been
living in the bushes for sometime.
He was arrested and taken to the
San Fernando Police Station where
he was put on several ID parades yes-
terday, as police say he is wanted for
a string of robberies which took place
in the Southern Division in the last
two months. The man, who in his
late 20s, has several previous convic-
tions for robbery.
Investigators from the Central Divi-
sion police were also expected to inter-
view the man yesterday concerning
Jade s disappearance.
Pearl Narine, the mother of missing
12-year-old schoolgirl, said while
tomorrow would mark two months
since her daughter disappeared, she
was not giving up hope her child
would be returned to her safely.
Speaking to the T&T Guardian yes-
terday, Narine said her family planned
to visit a well-known church over the
weekend to spend the day praying for
"We will visit the church and spend
the day, just praying and fasting for
her," said Narine.
She admitted that she had begun
to have fears that Jade may be dead.
"It s been so long now, I just can t
keep those thoughts out of my
president of the school s PTA Doodnath Ramdial said
before the fire he warned school officials about the
Male suspect held for
their SBA's as
they were not
allowed to enter
Three weeks after fire...
Parents, students upset
over school's closure
Contacted yesterday, Gopeesingh said he was
engaged in meetings and directed queries to his
communications officer Vishham Ramsaywak. In a
telephone interview, Ramsaywak said a stakeholders
meeting would be held today to discuss concerns.
Ramsaywak confirmed that no official closure notice
was issued by the ministry. However, he said the OSH
Agency visited the school and recommended that
blocks E and F be off limits.
He said a report from the Fire Services also
highlighted electrical concerns with block C.
Ramsaywak said once the reports were submitted, the
Education Facilities Company Ltd would send a team
today to do scoping works. A tender would then be
issued and a contractor selected.
TTUTA president Devanan Sinanan was not
available for comment yesterday as calls to his cellular
phone went unanswered.
Links Archive February 23rd 2015 February 25th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page