Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : February 24th 2015 Contents B16
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, February 24, 2015
Usually when we think about diversity, we think
about categories such as race, ethnicity, religion,
gender, or age. But what about personality type?
A workforce that includes a mix of extrovert and
introvert types balances the strengths and weaknesses
of both groups.
If you are an introvert looking for work, take the
opportunity to present those strengths in the course
of your search - not by using the label itself, but by
providing examples of the value you bring.
Highlight the successes you've had precisely because
of the qualities that come from your introvert personality
type. For example:
• Do you, like many introverts, tend to be cautious
before jumping into an activity or moving forward
in a potentially risky direction? If so, that has prob-
ably resulted in avoiding some undesirable out-
comes. Tell that story in your networking, resume,
cover letter, and job interviews.
• Do you, like many introverts, tend to deliberate
before offering an opinion or proposing an idea or
action plan? If so, perhaps you saved time or money
for your employer by having a fully-formulated
plan, ready for implementation, with the bugs and
kinks already worked out. Tell that story in your
networking, resume, cover letter, and job inter-
• Do you, like many introverts, project a calm
demeanor? If so, your calm may have enabled you
to handle crises very effectively or served to reassure
others and keep them focused on the task at hand.
Tell that story in your networking, resume, cover
letter, and job interviews.
BOTTOM LINE: Showcase the successes you've had
because of your introverted nature to demonstrate the
value of having a personality-diverse workforce.
The Montserrat Volcano Observatory is the agency responsible for monitoring the Soufriere
Hills Volcano on Montserrat. The role of the MVO is to advise the authorities on the volcanic
activity and its associated hazards and risks.
SCIENTIFIC SOFTWARE ENGINEER:
The Scientific Software Engineer is responsible for the maintenance of existing software and
development of new software. This requires working closely with MVO scientific and technical
1. Collaborate with local and visiting scientists and engineers to design systems to collect, store and
disseminate local and remotely telemetered data
2. Develop batch and interactive programs in multiple languages such as C, Perl and PHP. Use Object
oriented Perl and modules on Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) to maintain develop
3. Develop, maintain and troubleshoot internal/intranet Web site, primarily in Perl with file based
configuration and data, and with PostgreSQL RDBMS.
4. Develop, maintain and troubleshoot external/internet www.mvo.ms Web site, supporting scientists and
staff with content management, primarily using JOOMLA content management system, PHP and
5. Interact with Government of Montserrat system administrators to manage network, file systems and
1. University degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualification is preferred. Candidates without
such qualifications, but with extensive relevant professional experience will also be considered.
2. Relevant experience in design and development of systems in Perl, PHP, Java or C.
3. Demonstrated experience performing systems administration on one or more Linux operating systems,
such as Ubuntu and Redhat.
4. Experience of design, maintenance, troubleshooting and maintenance of RDBMS systems, preferably
PostgreSQL and/or MySQL, plus ability to batch load/process data to tables, and be well versed in
SQL, for ad-hoc reporting, etc.
5. Web development on LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP/Perl/Python) and/or
PHP/Perl/Python on Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
6. Ability to work closely with a small international team.
Salary will be up to EC$122,220.00
Candidates should submit a full curriculum vitae and covering letter outlining their experience, including the
names and addresses of two referees to:
The Operations Manager
Montserrat Volcano Observatory
P.O. Box 318, Flemming's,
Montserrat, West Indies
The deadline for the submission of applications is March 16, 2015. For further details, please refer to the
MVO web site at www.mvo.ms
A workforce that includes a
mix of extrovert and introvert
types balances the strengths and
weaknesses of both groups.
Links Archive February 23rd 2015 February 25th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page