Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 8th 2015 Contents • Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
SUNDAY, MARCH 8, 2015
At least five blasts have killed 50 people
and injured 56 in the city of Maiduguri in
north-eastern Nigeria, an official has told
Two crowded markets and a busy bus
station were targeted by suicide bombers,
Witnesses in one of the markets described
gory scenes with men, women and children
lying on the ground.
Maiduguri was once the stronghold of
the militant group Boko Haram, which is
seeking to establish an Islamic state.
The Islamist group has not yet comment-
ed on the latest attacks, but it has used sui-
cide bombers before.
After being pushed out of Maiduguri last
year, the Islamist fighters retreated to the
nearby Sambisa Forest from where they
launched attacks on villages and towns in
the north-east, taking over swathes of ter-
'Detonated at security gate'
The attacks took place over about three
hours---the first one targeting the city s Baga
The explosion was caused by a suicide
bomber in a rickshaw, eyewitnesses told the
It was not clear if the bomber was male
Later Monday Market came under an
attack. A trader there told the BBC that two
other female bombers seemed to have
One had a bomb strapped to her body
that detonated as she was being scanned
at the gate leading into the market, he said.
Another woman exploded the bomb she
was carrying in a bag a few feet away, he
It was difficult to know how many people
had died as body parts littered the area.
The third blast was at the Borno Express
bus station where it is reported that there
were two explosions.
A survivor of the first blast said it occurred
when a boy aged about 16 moved into a
crowd by the gates holding what looked like
a remote control.
Security officials were about to stop the
teenager when there was a blast, he told
The witness said he was blown over by
the impact and when he came to he saw
at least six dead bodies.
Muhammad Kanar, the co-ordinator of
the National Emergency Management
Agency in the north-east, told the BBC that
his rescue workers had counted a total of
49 people dead from all the blasts.
Last week, Nigeria s President Goodluck
Jonathan said the tide has "definitely turned"
against militant Islamists as Nigerian troops
and their regional allies recapture territo-
ry.Nigeria s presidential and parliamentary
elections have been postponed by six week
to 28 March to give troops more time to
beat back Boko Haram. (BBC)
Dozens killed in
Nigeria city blasts
Boko Haram at a glance
• Founded in 2002, initially focused on
opposing Western-style education---Boko
Haram means "Western education is for-
bidden" in the Hausa language
• Launched military operations in 2009
to create Islamic state
• Thousands killed, mostly in north-east-
ern Nigeria---has also attacked police and
UN headquarters in capital, Abuja
• Abducted hundreds, including at least
• Controls several north-eastern towns
• Launched attacks on neighbouring states
HAVANA---Colombia s government and the
country s biggest rebel movement announced
an agreement Saturday to begin a pilot program
for removing land mines as part of efforts to
lower the intensity of a conflict that has lasted
a half century.
The announcement came at the end of the
latest round of peace talks that began in Cuba s
capital since in November 2012.
Under the agreement, the Colombian army
battalion that specialises in removing mines will
clear explosives at a selected number of sites
while working under the supervision of a team
that will include two members each from the
government, the Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia and affected communities.
"The proposal for demining is a first step,
but a giant step toward making peace," said
Humberto de La Calle, spokesman for the gov-
Ivan Marquez, the chief rebel negotiator, said
the deal would help remove unexploded mines
--- explosives that "have taken the dreams of
thousands of people living in our country."
Government figures say land mines caused
11,043 deaths and injuries to its people over the
past 15 years. Of those, 4,226 were civilians.
agree to remove
KINGSTON, Jamaica---Authorities in Jamaica
have charged a man with murder and arson
following a fire that killed two teenagers and
a young girl.
The three died early Friday after a fire con-
sumed several homes in the capital of Kingston.
A police statement released Saturday identifies
the suspect as Phillip McLeod and says he lived
in the same community as the victims.
A motive has not been released. (AP)
J'ca police charge
man with murder
in fire that killed 3
VIENNA---Fighters from the Islamic State group
attacked an oil field in Libya, killing several
members of the security detail at the site and
nine foreign workers are missing, European offi-
Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin
Weiss said the Friday afternoon attack occurred
at the al-Ghani oil field, south of Sirte. Security
teams retook the site, but nine foreign workers
are unaccounted for, including one Austrian, one
Czech and seven non-EU citizens.
No demands have been made by any group or
individual for their return.
The Czech Foreign Ministry confirmed that a
Czech national was missing after the attack. Min-
istry spokeswoman Michaela Lagronova said the
ministry is in contact with the family of the missing
person and is co-operating with Austria. (AP)
9 foreigners missing
after Isis attacks
Libya oil field
People gather at the site of a bomb
explosion at a market in Maiduguri,
Nigeria, yesterday. Two blasts killed more
than ten people yesterday in a busy
marketplace in Maiduguri, the biggest
city in northeastern Nigeria, say
witnesses. AP PHOTO
Links Archive March 7th 2015 March 9th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page