Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 12th 2015 Contents A57
Thursday, March 12, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
GENEVA---Choosing the play-
ing dates for the 2022 World Cup
is at the top of the FIFA exec-
utive committee s agenda next
week, with the 2026 hosting
contest also under discussion.
FIFA said yesterday the exec-
utive committee will start talks
at a March 19-20 meeting on a
timeline for 2026 bidders, which
are expected to include Canada
and the United States.
Voting for a 2026 host will now
be by the full congress of FIFA
member federations---a reform
agreed to in fallout from the exec-
utive committee s choice of Rus-
sia as 2018 host and Qatar for
Still, the most important item
on the agenda is confirming that
the 2022 tournament will be
played in November-December
to avoid the heat of June-July.
A FIFA-appointed task force
recommended the end-of-year
option in Doha last month despite
opposition from European leagues
and clubs who object to being
shut down for several weeks in
the middle of their season.
The exact playing dates must
be decided, with FIFA suggesting
a 28-day tournament instead of
the usual 32 days to reduce the
time clubs must hand over play-
ers for national team duty.
FIFA President Sepp Blatter
says he wants the final on
December 18---Qatar s national
day---over UEFA s wish for
Qatar, and its pledges to
improve treatment of migrant
construction workers, will also
be discussed in the "Sports polit-
ical matters" portion of the two-
day meeting. Clubs will take note
of another FIFA discussion next
week on how much money they
are due from World Cup revenues
in 2018 and 2022.
Although FIFA rejects the idea
of compensating clubs for the
2022 disruption, the governing
body is in talks with the 214-
member European Club Associ-
ation to renew a working agree-
ment. The expired accord paid
clubs worldwide $70 million from
the 2014 World Cup in Brazil,
distributed on a daily rate for as
long as players were involved.
FIFA will announce the finan-
cial results of the 2014 tourna-
ment next week. Final revenues
of about $4.5 billion are expected
for the four-year commercial
cycle which ended last year.
The Blatter-chaired executive
committee is meeting for the first
time since candidates for the May
29 presidential election were con-
firmed last month.
Blatter is seeking to extend his
17-year reign against an executive
committee colleague, FIFA vice
president Prince Ali bin al-Hus-
sein of Jordan, plus Michael van
Praag of the Netherlands and Luis
Figo of Portugal.
FIFA should also choose a host
for the 2019 Women s World
Cup. France and South Korea are
competing for the rights, and to
stage the 2018 under-20 women s
World Cup also as a test event.
A single host nation for the
Club World Cup in 2017 and 2018
should also be picked, FIFA said.
LONDON---Almost four years after
revelations of tabloid phone hacking
shook the British media, a new court
case has put it back in the spotlight.
Soap stars, a television executive
and an athlete s girlfriend have all
testified that journalists snooping
left them feeling violated and despair-
ing. Yesterday, former England soccer
player Paul Gascoigne told Britain s
High Court that hacking had
destroyed his life and is partly to
blame for his alcoholism.
"I would like to trade my mobile
phone in for a coffin because these
guys have ruined my life," said Gas-
coigne, a star of England s national
team in the 1990s. "I have no life."
Britain s phone-hacking scandal
erupted in 2011 with the revelation
that staff at the Rupert Murdoch-
owned News of the World had listened
to the cellphone voicemails of celebri-
ties, politicians, crime victims and
even a murdered teenager. The furor
led to the closure of that paper and
the arrests of dozens of journalists.
This time it s not Murdoch s
tabloids that stand accused, but rival
publications owned by Trinity Mirror
Victims lawyer David Sherborne
has said illegal eavesdropping was
"rife" at the Mirror, Sunday Mirror
and People newspapers for almost a
decade from 1999.
Trinity Mirror has admitted hack-
ing, and has set aside millions to com-
pensate victims. A judge is hearing a
lawsuit by eight claimants to dete
mine the amount of damages hack-
ing targets will receive.
In court, the claimants have
described how phone hacking poi-
soned their relationships with friends,
family and colleagues.
Actor Shane Richie said he didn t
speak to a co-star on "EastEnders"
for five years "because we both
thought we were selling each other
down the river with stories, which it
turned out of course wasn t true."
Gascoigne, his voice shaking with
emotion, testified that hacking left
him frightened and paranoid, making
him think friends and family were
"I couldn t speak to anybody. I was
scared to speak to anybody... my par-
ents, my family and kids. It was just
horrendous," said the 47-year-old,
who has battled drug and alcohol
addiction for years.
"And people can t understand why
I became an alcoholic." (AP)
LONDON---British police will ask a court to ban
five men accused of being involved in a racist inci-
dent from travelling to football matches.
Chelsea supporters were filmed singing a racist
song and refusing to let a black man on a Paris subway
train ahead of a Champions League match against
Paris Saint-Germain last month.
The Metropolitan Police in London now says it
has served summons on five men involved in the
incidents to appear at a court on March 25.
Police have applied for football banning orders to
be imposed on the men. Such orders can last between
three and ten years. (AP)
WARRINGTON---The police officer in charge of the
Hillsborough soccer stadium on the day of the 1989
disaster has apologised for telling a "terrible lie"
and then misleading people.
At the FA Cup semifinal between Liverpool and
Nottingham Forest, a crush in an overcrowded stand-
ing-only section at Hillsborough led to 96 deaths.
New inquests are currently being held after the
original verdicts of accidental death were overturned,
and former chief superintendent David Duckenfield
gave evidence yesterday.
In meetings immediately after the April 1989 crush,
Duckenfield admitted to saying that fans had "got
in through gates" which he now says was a "terrible
lie in that everybody knew the truth." (AP)
Paul Gascoigne tells court
phone-hacking ruined his life
FIFA to choose 2022
World Cup dates
Hillsborough police chief
admits to 'terrible lie'
5 to face court
over Chelsea fans'
incident in Paris
Links Archive March 11th 2015 March 13th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page