Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 17th 2015 Contents A8
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, March 17, 2015
The Government of Trinidad and Tobago
Ministry of Tertiary Education and Skills Training (TEST)
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
The Government of Trinidad and Tobago invites citizens to apply for
financial assistance pursuing post-secondary or undergraduate studies.
resident of any other country.
tertiary level institution.
GPA of 2.00 if they have been enrolled in the
programme of study for more than one academic year.
NOT hold a previous bachelor's degree.
MUST be accredited by the Accreditation
Council of Trinidad of Tobago (ACTT).
institutions provided that:
relevant to the current development needs of the country
provide supplementary financial support in circumstances of need and
is not intended to be a student's main source of funding and is a ONE
TIME ONLY assistance:
MUST BE at the post-secondary or
Trinidad and Tobago are not eligible for funding under this
with the Government of Trinidad and Tobago and sign an undertak-
ing to serve and undertake employment within Trinidad and
Tobago for a period as determined by the agreement upon
successful completion of the programme of study.
with a duration of nine (9) months and over.
6. Approved financial assistance is non-transferable to another
programme of study or academic institution.
Committee shall accord priority to applicants undertaking studies
undertaking studies in areas identified as a high priority for
publish the names of applicants selected for financial assistance.
Applicants must consider and accept the terms and conditions of
the financial assistance being provided.
official visit to the applicant's home to verify information.
Applicants are assessed based on the following:
expenditure and commitments.
to pursue the programme of study.
financial assistance please visit the
Application forms can also be collected at:
APPLICATION FORMS ARE NOT TO BE COPIED.
LATE APPLICATIONS, AS WELL AS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS,
WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Energy Minister Kevin Ramnarine
says he does not know whether the
National Gas Company (NGC) hired
preferred government contractor
Super Industrial Services (SIS) to
backfill the Caroni swamp to stock
pipes for the $1 billion Beetham
Wastewater Treatment project.
NGC was named as the State
agency involved in the scandal which
was highlighted exclusively by the
T&T Guardian last month. The land-
fill is now being cleared but it is
uncertain whether taxpayers are foot-
ing this bill.
In an interview yesterday, Ram-
narine said he had launched an inves-
tigation to determine whether NGC
was involved in the project.
"I have no information about this.
All I know is from what I read in the
newspapers but now that you have
raised it, I will investigate," Ramnarine
In an immediate response, pres-
ident of NGC Indar Maharaj denied
its involvement, saying it never gave
permission to any contractor to back-
fill the swamp.
Maharaj said he did not know why
NGC was named in the issue.
"It is political season so all kinds
of things are being said. I want to
reiterate that NGC has no role in that
project. We have nothing to do with
the backfilling of the swamp. I don t
know what the details are about the
costs because we have nothing to do
with that," Maharaj said.
Asked whether SIS was acting on
its own, Maharaj said: "As far as I
am aware SIS has the contract to do
the Beetham recycle project.
A source, who requested anonymi-
ty, said NGC had hired SIS to backfill
the swamp to stock pipes for the
Beetham project, a contract which
SIS won even though its bid was
$400 million more than the closest
When the T&T Guardian high-
lighted the destruction of the swamp,
the EMA gave instructions for the
project to be terminated as it con-
travened environmental laws.
EMA chairman Dr Allan Bachan
said an order was given for the entire
area to be rehabilitated.
He said once the landfill is
removed, the road on the boundary
of the Caroni River will be removed
as that was facilitating illegal activity.
He also said squatting would not be
tolerated in the swamp and man-
groves would be replanted.
Since the EMA shut down the site
and ordered the removal of backfill
material, more than a dozen sub-
contractors have been removing the
landfill but it is unclear who is shoul-
dering the costs. Workers at the site
said they were being paid by SIS.
NGC stays out of
backfilling in swamp
Energy Minister Kevin Ramnarine Indar Maharaj
Dr Allan Bachan
Meanwhile, John Mc Leod, a
farmer who has been planting
watermelons on the boundary of
the backfilled area denied illegal
activity was taking place at the site.
He said before SIS entered the
area, he had watermelons and
coconuts on the State-owned land.
"I am not the only squatter here. I
had about 50 to 60 coconut trees
here and when SIS came they
bulldozed everything. A man named
Mr Jones told me he will backfill a
part on the eastern side for me to
plant. He said he had big
connections with the government,"
Mc Leod said.
He added: "Our parents and
grandparents have been planting in
the swamp for more than 50 years
and the road they now want to dig
up was there long time."
Mc Leod said he intended to plant
on a big scale. "Right now I have
about three quarter of an acre with
watermelons. I already plant back
the coconut trees," Mc Leod added.
He also said since the gravel road
on the northern boundary of the
river was built more people have
been able to camp, fish and plant in
Contacted for comment
yesterday, SIS director Terrence
Lalla said he was in a meeting and
could not answer any questions
about the matter.
Links Archive March 16th 2015 March 18th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page