Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 22nd 2015 Contents A37
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
TUNISIA---With bullets flying and his
heart pounding, Spanish tourist Josep
Lluis Cusido never got a clear look at
the men shooting their way through
the Bardo museum in Tunis as he hid
behind a pillar.
"They looked to see how they could
inflict the most damage possible. I saw
one group who was in the museum who
took refuge in a room... They went in
there and machine gunned them all,"
Cusido said yesterday, stifling a sob.
Tunisia's Interior Ministry has released
security camera footage of the gunmen
walking through the Bardo museum
during the attack that killed 21 people.
The one-minute video posted on the
ministry's Facebook page yesterday
shows the two men walking through
the museum, carrying assault rifles and
One of the attackers is wearing a base-
ball cap and a heavy jacket, while the
other has a red hoodie and track pants.
The video also shows stills of the dead
gunmen, including a picture indicating
that at least one was wearing an explo-
sive belt. (AP)
Day of carnage at Tunisian museum leaves memories, questions
A man who attempted to storm a
checkpoint at New Orleans airport on
Friday was carrying six home-made
molotov cocktails, authorities say.
Richard White, 62, allegedly struck a
security worker with a large knife
after attacking another with spray.
At a news conference yesterday, of-
ficials described him as having mental
White was injured after being shot
three times by security staff.
He was taken to hospital for treat-
ment to his leg, chest and face and re-
mains in a serious condition.
At the news conference, Jefferson
Parish sheriff Newell Normand cor-
rected earlier reports that some by-
standers had sustained injuries, saying
this was not the case.
However, he said a female security
agent was hurt by a stray bullet.
Smoke bombs were also found in
White's car which was parked near
the airport. (BBC)
New Orleans airport
Boko Haram extremists have at-
tacked a Nigerian border town,
killing 11 people who had recently
come home after military forces
ousted the insurgents, witnesses
Resident Mohammed Umara said
Cameroonian forces immediately
crossed the border when gunfire
erupted Wednesday evening and
drove the militants from Gamboru-
"We were terrified when we
started hearing gunshots echoing ...
but everywhere became calm about
an hour later. The soldiers informed
us that it was the Boko Haram ter-
rorists that came back," said Aji
He and Mohammed Umara said 11
civilians were killed on the outskirts
It was the first reported attack on
a town previously occupied by Boko
Haram since a regional offensive
was launched by troops from Chad
seven weeks ago. Nigerian officials
this week said they have taken back
38 northeastern towns and forced
Boko Haram out of two of three
states and freed most of Borno
The extremists had seized Gam-
boru in November and were dis-
lodged February 4.
The offensive comes as Nigerians
prepare for a closely contested
March 28 presidential election.
Boko Haram attacks
Nigerian town, kills 11
US President Barack Obama, left, with his brother-in-law Craig Robinson, right, reacts to
Wisconsin-Green Bay scoring against Princeton during the second half of a women's college
basketball match in the first round of the NCAA tournament in College Park, Maryland, yesterday.
Obama's niece Leslie Robinson, plays for Princeton. AP PHOTO
A hot plate warmed food in the
darkened kitchen in Brooklyn,
allowing an Orthodox Jewish moth-
er to feed her family while observ-
ing the Sabbath prohibition on
lighting a flame. Upstairs, she and
eight children slept.
That small convenience led to the
city's deadliest fire in eight years,
after flames that began in the kitchen
ripped through the home, trapping
seven children ages five to 16 in their
bedrooms, as their mother and a 15-
year-old sister, cloaked in thick
smoke, jumped out of second-floor
windows. They were the only two
The authorities attributed the fire
to an unknown malfunction in the
electric hot plate. Such devices are
often used by observant Jewish fam-
ilies, who turn them on to heat food
before the Sabbath begins Friday
night and keep them going through
the following day.
Mayor Bill de Blasio arrived yes-
terday and walked inside the shell
of the house with firefighters. "You
can literally see what was a home
for a large, strong family and now
it's wiped out, every room empty,
burned and charred," he said, adding:
"This is a tragedy that has very few
examples to look at, it's so painful,
it's so difficult."
Yesterday, investigators found a
smoke detector in the basement of
the home, but had not found any
on the first floor, where the fire start-
ed, or the second, where the family
slept. They were still searching the
The fire was the city's deadliest
since March 2007, when nine chil-
dren and a woman from two families
were killed by a fire in the Bronx.
That blaze started in a cord attached
to a space heater, then raced up a
staircase in a 100-year-old wooden
building. (New York Times)
...city's worst toll since 2007
Brooklyn fire kills 7 children
New York's Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro, centre, arrives to brief reporters at the scene of a fire in Brooklyn, New
York, yesterday. AP PHOTO
Security guards at an Australian immigration pro-
cessing centre on the island of Nauru may have traded
marijuana for sex with refugees and asylum seekers,
investigators have found.
A government inquiry said it was also aware of
three allegations of rape, including one against a
minor, as well as others of "indecent assault, sexual
harassment and physical assault occurring in the cen-
The review said that one of the suspected rapists, a
male detainee, had been given refugee status and set-
tled on Nauru.
"In relation to the allegation 'Nauruan guards have
been trading marijuana with detainees in exchange for
sexual favours,' the review concludes that this activity
is possibly occurring," it said.
One incident in which a guard demanded to see a
female detainee naked in return for allowing her to
take an extra two minutes in the shower with her
young child was confirmed.
Canberra ordered the inquiry last year following al-
legations of sexual and physical assault at the Nauru
camp, and claims that aid workers coached detainees
to self-harm so they could be evacuated to Australia.
Probe reveals sexual
Nauru asylum camp
Links Archive March 21st 2015 March 23rd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page