Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : March 31st 2015 Contents VACANCY
A distinguished Law Firm is seeking to recruit a qualified professional Financial Accountant
for the Firm's Port of Spain office.
The Financial Accountant is required to ensure the accurate preparation of the financial and man-
agement accounts of the firm, coordinating the annual audit, making recommendations for allocations
within the general ledger and maintaining the accuracy of all accounting records; based on account-
ing standards and statutory requirements; whilst ensuring that optimal service levels are met.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Compiles the financial statements in accordance with schedules.
2. Compiles the annual budgets. Prepares management reports as required, analyses the
accounts and reports on and accounts for variances.
3. Coordinates the annual audit and complies with the audit schedules and requirements.
4. Identifies and implements initiatives to improve the quality of the accounting function including
documenting and updating systems and procedures; ensuring optimal use of accounting
software applications and compliance with international financial reporting standards.
5. Reviews the accuracy of the payables and receivables functions and ensures the reconciliation
of the bank accounts.
6. Ensures the accuracy of the payroll administration.
7. Reviews the insurance coverage on all assets to ensure containment of risks.
8. Supports the Treasury Management function, financing of asset acquisitions and management
of funds held in trust.
9. Manages the responsibilities of the accounting department, makes recommendations for the
allocations within the general ledger and institutes checks and balances to ensure the integrity
of accounting practices.
10. Supervises all direct reports, monitors performance to achieve a high-performing work team,
appraises performance and develops and implements performance improvement plans.
11. Any other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• ACCA qualification or equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree In Accounting or Administration would be an asset.
• Five (5) years' experience in financial accounting.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Sound knowledge of accounting standards and practices.
• Excellent knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements.
• Good analytical and problem solving skills.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Confidential, honest, responsible.
• Results oriented.
Applicants who meet the criteria outlined above should forward their curricu-
la vitae together with the contact details of two referees by the:
31st March, 2015 to:
The Human Resource Manager
P. 0. 80X 75, Port of 5pain,
Trinidad and Tobago.
Tuesday, March 31, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Applications, including comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and
the names of three (3) referees should be sent to:
Human Resource Manager,
Institute of Marine Affairs
Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
Applications should reach the IMA no later than
April 10, 2015.
Unsuitable applications would not be acknowledged.
The Institute of Marine Affairs is an agency of the
Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources
One of the most commonly asked interview questions is "What
are your greatest strengths?" Prior to any interview, brainstorm
a list of your own---and resist the urge to be too humble. With a
comprehensive list, interviewees can focus on their top strengths
to tailor their résumé, draft their elevator speech, and build
appropriate social media profiles. It s also important to
showcase examples of how your personal experiences, as an
interviewee, exhibit these strengths.
Master your elevator speech
Perfect an elevator speech by
developing a summary of skills
and background; then practice
delivering the speech in less
than two minutes, or the time it
takes to ride an elevator. Be clear
and concise on why you would
be a strong candidate for the
available position and highlight
key strengths relevant to the
opportunity. The same strategy
applies to a résumé. Recruiters
typically spend less than 30
seconds scanning a résumé to
determine if a candidate is a
potential fit for the position.
Make your résumé short but
complete, and highlight the
necessary skills and background
needed for the posted position,
specifically using key words
from the job description.
Update social media
Social media is increasingly
used by HR professionals to
screen job candidates. Make
sure identified strengths in a
résumé and elevator speech are
reflected in content across all
social media platforms. This
includes professional social
media platforms such as
LinkedIn, as well as personal
social media platforms such as
Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.
Also, Google yourself and if
inappropriate content comes
up, change or remove what you
Searching for an entry-level
position can be difficult, time
consuming, and stressful, but
following the job search tips
outlined here can help you
optimize your job search and
land the perfect career
Links Archive March 30th 2015 April 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page