Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 13th 2015 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Monday, April 13, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
for 10TH APRIL, 2015
NCBA president David Lopez s
appointment as a commissioner
on the National Carnival Commis-
sion has been revoked by Arts and
Multiculturalism Minister Lincoln
Sources close to Douglas said the
appointment was revoked on Friday
because Lopez refused to heed two
requests to submit the NCBA s status
report on Carnival 2015 to the min-
istry. Carnival took place on February
16 and 17.
The T&T Guardian was informed
that Lopez did not heed the request
for the report from the minister and
a subsequent one from the min-
The law governing the NCC pro-
vides for six commissioners to be
appointed to the NCC board by the
minister and three to be appointed
by special interest organisations, the
Trinbago Unified Calypsonians
Organisation (Tuco), Pan Trinbago
and the National Carnival Bands
Association (NCBA), the authorised
organisation to represent mas bands.
Contacted for comment yesterday,
Lopez confirmed the minister wrote
him but in his "personal capacity"
indicating that his appointment was
revoked. That letter was received
on Friday, Lopez added. Lopez said
he was not on the NCC board in
his personal capacity, adding that
he was there as chairman of NCBA.
"He can t move me," Lopez said
yesterday, asking "on what grounds
he wants me to go."
Lopez said Douglas also wrote a
second letter to the NCBA secretary
asking that another person be rec-
ommended to represent the organ-
isation on the NCC board.
An emergency meeting of the
NCBA is being held today to discuss
Lopez said he wanted to know
"what are the grounds under which
the minister wants me to go?"
Lopez said he operates at the NCC
"only at the level of the board, so
what wrong have I done against the
board, what infringement have I
committed at the NCC board?"
He also said he wanted Douglas
to say "at what meeting was the
decision taken to revoke my
appointment and was I given any
opportunity to defend myself? No,
I was not."
Lopez said the minister was mis-
guided on this matter, adding that
the law gave the NCBA the authority
to remove him. He insisted that he
was not on the NCC board in a per-
sonal capacity but was there in his
capacity as chairman of the NCBA.
Lopez said he was seeking the inter-
est of the mas fraternity.
He said under the law "if the min-
ister wanted my appointment
revoked he was supposed to write
to the NCBA indicating the reason
or reasons and it would be up to
the NCBA to have my appointment
revoked. The NCBA can remove me,
not the minister."
Douglas was unavailable for com-
ment when the T&T Guardian
attempted to reach him yesterday.
Lopez: He can't move me
Three-year-old Andrew Mascal was
spared death yesterday morning as he
slept between his parents when a car
ploughed into their bedroom landing
on top of their bed and killing his moth-
er on the spot.
Andrew, his mother Donna Mascal, 39,
and his father Anthony were asleep
around 1 am yesterday in her family s of
Palmiste Main Road, Longdenville rented
apartment when the incident occurred.
The family had been renting the apart-
ment for the past three years.
The trio remained trapped under the
car, a white AD wagon, for over an hour
as fire service officials tried to remove
the car. A hiab was eventually used to
remove the car through the roof of the
bedroom, but Donna was pronounced
dead on the scene.
Andrew suffered burns to his forehead
and other parts of his body and his father
suffered a broken collarbone.
They were both taken to the Chaguanas
Health Facility and then transferred to
the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Com-
plex, Mt. Hope were they remained ward-
ed up to last night.
Donna s other three children, Saman-
tha, 17, Shania, 13 and Sean, 10 were
asleep in another bedroom and were not
hurt in the incident.
The wagon was driven by a 22-year-
old man of Fleming Street Longdenville,
In an interview with the T&T Guardian
neighbor Charles Seeraj, recalled hearing
Anthony crying out for his wife and child.
"I heard the bang, went outside and
saw the car inside their bedroom," he
said. "I saw two guys in the road and
when I went across I heard the father
asking over and over, where my son,
where my wife? ."
Surrounded by relatives at her grand-
parents Pokhor Road, Longdenville yes-
terday, Donna s eldest child Samantha
recalled that her mother s dream was for
her Housing Development Corporation
(HDC) application to be successful as
she wanted to move her family away from
the busy roadway.
"She always used to say she can t wait
to get a HDC house cause people does drive too
hard in front by us and there used to be plenty
accidents," said Samantha. "She say she wanted
to move out from there because she didn t know
what could happen."
Donna s mother, Carmen Wellington, 60, sat
in a state of shock, unable to believe her daughter
was dead. Wellington said she last saw Donna
alive around 9.40 pm on Saturday night.
Mother killed in bed, baby burned by engine
Donna Mascal and her husband Anthony
Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Lincoln Douglas
Links Archive April 12th 2015 April 14th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page