Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 20th 2015 Contents PALERMO, Italy---As many as
700 people were feared dead
after a fishing boat packed with
migrants capsized off the Libyan
coast overnight, in what may
be one of the worst disasters of
the Mediterranean migrant cri-
sis, officials said.
EU foreign policy chief Fed-
erica Mogherini said foreign min-
isters would discuss urgent action
on the migrant issue at a meeting
in Luxembourg today.
Twenty-eight people were res-
cued and 24 bodies recovered
from the 20 meter-long vessel,
which sank around 70 miles from
the Libyan coast, south of the
southern Italian island of Lampe-
dusa, the Italian coast guard said.
If confirmed, the death toll
would bring the total number of
dead since the beginning of the
year to more than 1,500 as the
flow of migrants seeking to flee
poverty, war and insecurity in
sub-Saharan Africa and the Mid-
dle East has continued.
The new deaths fueled calls
for a stronger response from
Europe to the increasingly deadly
migrant crisis playing out in the
Mediterranean. International aid
groups and Italian authorities
have criticised the European
Union s "Triton" border protec-
tion operation, which recently
replaced the more comprehensive
Italian search-and-rescue mis-
sion "Mare Nostrum".
"A tragedy is unfolding in the
Mediterranean, and if the EU and
the world continue to close their
eyes, it will be judged in the
harshest terms as it was judged
in the past when it closed its
eyes to genocides when the com-
fortable did nothing," Maltese
Prime Minister Joseph Muscat
"They are literally trying to
find people alive among the dead
floating in the water," Muscat
There was still no decision on
where the survivors and the bod-
ies that had been recovered
would be taken.
The boat is believed to have
capsized when the migrants
shifted to one side of the over-
crowded vessel as a merchant
ship approached. (Reuters)
AMMAN---Jordan launched a
competition among elite anti-ter-
rorism squads from 18 countries
The 7th annual Warrior Compe-
tition is being held at a time when
Jordan is stepping up its military role
in the region, as part of a U.S.-led
campaign against Islamic State and
a Saudi-led battle against Shiite
rebels in Yemen.
The five-day competition offers
a chance for team leaders to "meet
and to know each other, as the ter-
rorists have become international,"
said Col Khaled Abu Hamad, a
spokesman for the King Abdullah
Special Operations Training Center
on the outskirts of Amman, where
the event is being held.
The competition opened with a
drill by Jordanian special forces who
rescued mock-hostages from a pas-
senger plane and rappelled from a
helicopter into a five-story building
to chase militants. The opening cer-
emony also included skydivers and
Teams compete in ten events,
including shooting. Among those
participating are the US, Russia,
Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Bahrain
and China---which won the count-
er-terrorism competition in 2014.
Jordan assumed a more high-pro-
file role in the coalition against the
Islamic State group after the militants
released a video in February showing
a captured Jordanian pilot being
immolated while trapped in a cage.
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
MEXICO CITY---Mexican security
officials say they've captured the man
accused of running the Juarez drug
cartel following last year's arrest of
Vicente Carrillo Fuentes.
National Security Commissioner
Monte Alejandro Rubido says Jesus
Salas Aguayo was caught Friday in the
municipality of Villa Ahumada, about
130 kilometres south of the border
metropolis of Ciudad Juarez. He says
one of Salas' bodyguards was killed and
another arrested. Rubido said Sunday
Salas Aguayo is linked with a 2010 car
bombing in Ciudad Juarez as well as a
2012 bar attack that killed 15.
Last month was the hottest March
worldwide since record keeping began in
1880, and the first three months of 2015
also set a new heat record, US
government scientists said Friday.
"During March, the average temperature
across global land and ocean surfaces was
1.53 Fahrenheit (0.85 Celsius) above the
20th century average," said the report by
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
"This was the highest for March in the
1880-2015 record, surpassing the previous
record of 2010 by 0.09 F (0.05 C)."
More than 300 people have been arrested in
South Africa in connection with a wave of violence
against immigrants from other parts of Africa, the
minister of home affairs says.
Malusi Gigaba issued a warning to those respon-
sible, saying that they would be subject to "the full
might of the law."
At least six people have been killed in the past
Armed groups have targeted shops run by African
immigrants, accusing them of taking jobs from locals.
Thousands of foreigners have fled their homes
to shelter in makeshift camps, and neighbouring
Zimbabwe, Malawi and Mozambique have
announced plans to evacuate citizens.
Speaking during a news conference, Mr Gigaba
said 307 people were arrested in connection with
"Everything is being done to restore peace and
order," he said. "The government will enforce the
laws of the country and will not hesitate to act
speedily and decisively.
"We also want to issue a stern warning to those
who lend themselves to acts of public violence: We
will find you, and you will be dealt with to the full
might of the law."
In Durban on Saturday, President Jacob Zuma
told a group of people displaced by the violence
that the unrest went against South African values
and that he would bring it to an end, but he was
jeered by some in the crowd who accused him of
acting too slowly.
Migrants, mostly from other African states and
Asia, have moved to South Africa in large numbers
since white-minority rule ended in 1994. Many
South Africans accuse them of taking jobs in a
country where the unemployment rate is 24 per
Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has been accused
of fuelling the attacks by saying that foreigners
should "go back to their countries". However, he
says his comments were distorted.
Official data suggests there are about two million
foreign nationals in South Africa, about 4 per cent
of the total population. But some estimates put the
number of immigrants at five million. (BBC)
Jordan hosts international competition of anti-terror squads
in South Africa
sinks off Libya
Up to 700 feared dead
In this photo taken at the Palermo harbor on April 15
and made available April 19, migrants receive relief
after disembarking in Palermo, Sicily, Italy. AP PHOTO
Pope Francis, who has
spoken out repeatedly on the
migrant crisis, repeated his
call for quick and decisive
action from the international
"They are men and women
like us, our brothers seeking
a better life, starving,
exploited, victims of war.
They were looking for a
better life, they were looking
for happiness," he told tens
of thousands of people in St
Peter's Square for his
Sunday noon address.
Aid groups have called for
the opening of a
"humanitarian corridor" to
ensure the safety of the
migrants but there were also
calls for action to prevent the
boats from leaving.
Around 20,000 migrants
have reached the Italian
coast this year, the
for Migration (IOM)
estimates. That is fewer than
in the first four months of
last year, but the number of
deaths has risen almost
A BETTER LIFE
March was hottest worldwide since 1880
Mexico officials capture alleged cartel leader
Links Archive April 19th 2015 April 21st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page