Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 22nd 2015 Contents A19
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
A Serbian inquiry has found that the
president's jet went into a sudden plunge
on a flight to Rome last week when the
co-pilot tried to mop up a coffee spill.
President Tomislav Nikolic and other
passengers were reportedly thrown
around the Falcon 50's cabin before the
captain managed to regain control.
Coffee was spilt on the control panel
and the co-pilot mistakenly disengaged
the autopilot when trying to mop it up.
The jet later turned back to Belgrade.
President Nikolic had been heading to
Rome on 17 April for a meeting with
Co-pilot Bojan Zoric has been
suspended after the inquiry found he
had "accidentally activated the
emergency switch." That caused the
plane to plunge from a height of 34,000
One of the Falcon's three engines shut
down because of the sudden drop in
altitude, but it was quickly restarted.
Serbian scare on president's plane after coffee spill
South Africa s army
is being deployed to
volatile areas to prevent
attacks on foreigners,
Nqakula has said.
The army was inter-
vening because an
"emergency" had devel-
oped, she said.
have strongly criticised
South Africa for failing
to protect their nation-
als.At least seven people
have been killed and
5,000 left homeless since
the attacks started about
three weeks ago against
other Africans and
Troops are being
despatched to flashpoints
in South Africa's KwaZu-
lu-Natal province and the
economic heartland of
Gauteng, which includes
haze over Reno and
parts of the eastern Sier-
ra is coming from wild-
fires in Siberia more
than 5,000 miles away.
The National Weather
Service says the smoke
has been travelling across
the Pacific Ocean since
Farmers set the fires
burning grass in their
fields as they do each
spring in Khakassia, a
region of southeast
But the flames spread
out of control due to
strong winds, killing
more than a dozen peo-
ple and destroying hun-
dreds of homes.
Greek Coast guard officers and locals look at a capsized sailboat with migrants onboard, who are trying to
reach Greece, near the coast of the southeastern island of Rhodes April 20, 2015. A wooden sailboat
carrying dozens of immigrants ran aground on Monday off the coast of the Greek island of Rhodes and at
least three people have drowned, the Greek coast guard said. REUTERS
Details have emerged about the
capsize of a migrant boat in the
Mediterranean on Sunday that
killed more than 800.
Prosecutors in Italy say the cap-
tain, who survived and faces mul-
tiple homicide charges, crashed the
boat by mistake against a merchant
The capsize is the deadliest
recorded in the Mediterranean, the
The International Organisation
for Migration (IOM) says deaths in
2015 are 30 times higher than the
same period last year and could
rise to 30,000.
The 28 survivors of the weekend
capsize arrived in Catania, Sicily,
late on Monday.
Italian police said they issued an
arrest warrant for the Tunisian cap-
tain of the boat, Mohammed Ali
Malek, 27, and crew member Mah-
mud Bikhit, a 25-year-old Syrian,
as soon as the coastguard vessel
Bruno Gregoretti docked.
More than a dozen survivors of
the weekend shipwreck are being
guarded in a house inside the Mineo
They've become the most impor-
tant witnesses in an official criminal
investigation into the wreck of their
Capt Malek was accused of caus-
ing a shipwreck, multiple first
degree homicides and being accom-
plice to clandestine immigration.
Bikhit was accused only of the third
charge. The pair will appear in court
The Italian prosecutors said there
appeared to be two causes of the
They said the migrant boat cap-
tain had tried to come alongside
the rescue vessel and "accidentally
caused the small fishing boat to
collide with the bigger merchant
The second cause was the "over-
crowding of the fishing boat, so the
boat was tipped off balance by the
wrong manoeuvre, causing the
migrants on board to shift. It then
Chief prosecutor Giovanni Salvi
said the huge death toll was as a
result of so many migrants being
locked below on the three-deck
The prosecutors said it appeared
the merchant vessel, the Portuguese
ship King Jacob, was not to blame.
About 350 on board were
believed to be Eritreans, with
refugees from other nations includ-
ing Syria, Somalia, Sierra Leone,
Mali, Senegal, Gambia, Ivory Coast,
Ethiopia and Bangladesh. (BBC)
hits rescue ship
Mohammed Ali Malek and Mahmud
Bikhit, two survivors of Saturday's
migrant boat disaster, arrested on
suspicion of people trafficking, are
seen as they arrive by Italian
coastguard ship Bruno Gregoretti in
Catania's harbour, Italy, Monday.
An Egyptian court has sentenced ousted Pres-
ident Mohammed Morsi to 20 years in jail for
ordering the arrest and torture of protesters
during his rule.
It is the first verdict he has received since his
overthrow and is one of several trials he faces.
Morsi was deposed by the military in July 2013
following mass street protests against his rule.
Since then, the authorities have banned his
Muslim Brotherhood movement and arrested
thousands of his supporters.
Morsi and 14 other Brotherhood figures escaped
a more serious charge of inciting the killing of
protesters, which could have carried the death
Most of the other defendants were also given
20-year prison sentences.
Five men have been sentenced to prison in
Norway for organising an illegal wolf hunt, in
the country s first prosecution of such a case.
The group's ringleader was sentenced to one
year and eight months in prison, while four others
were ordered to serve between six months and
The landmark case has set Norwegians' hunting
rights against the survival of Europe's smallest
The men were all prosecuted for attempting
to trap wolves in February 2014.
They were tried under Norway's organised
crime laws following a high level police operation
involving telephone wiretaps.
As well as the prison sentences, the men all
received hunting bans of various lengths.
Norway is believed to have one of the smallest
population of wolves in Europe with perhaps as
few as 30. Wolves were hunted to near extinction
in southern Scandinavia until a hunting ban was
imposed in the 1970s.
RIO DE JANEIRO---A tornado battered a city in
southern Brazil, killing two people, injuring 120
others and forcing more than 1,000 people from
their homes, officials said yesterday.
The National Institute of Meteorology said a
supercell storm produced the tornado that struck
Xanxere city in the state of Santa Catarina on
The storm damaged about 500 homes and
knocked down lampposts, leaving many residents
without electricity. Two people were killed, appar-
ently inside their homes, and 120 have been taken
to hospitals, including 15 who were seriously
injured, said Santa Catarina's civil defense director,
Luciano Peri. Tornadoes are rare in Brazil, but
the region where the country meets Argentina
and Uruguay is prone to supercell storms that
can give birth to tornadoes. (AP)
Egypt's ousted President
Morsi jailed for 20 years
Norway jails 5
over wolf hunting
Tornado kills 2 in Brazil
Links Archive April 21st 2015 April 23rd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page