Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 25th 2015 Contents Minimum wage still to be reviewed --- McLeod News --- Page A6
Saturday, April 25, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
JENSEN LA VENDE
Police say they will be increasing their
patrols along the Lady Chancellor Hill, St
Clair, after a woman was shot while walking
along the popular training spot.
According to police reports, the woman, who
will not be identified because she is currently
in a home for battered women, was walking
down the hill around 10.30 am yesterday when
she was attacked.
The woman told police she noticed a man
bending over as if he was tying his shoe laces
as she was walking along the road. But when
she got close to the man, he grabbed her by
her shoulder and shot her once in the leg. The
man then jumped into a white Nissan Tiida
and drove off.
Police said the woman could not identify her
attacker, but told them she believed that it may
be linked to her being at the home. Following
the shooting, the woman was taken to the Port-
of-Spain General Hospital where she is currently
warded in a stable condition.
PC Hinds of the St Clair Police Station is
Speaking with the T&T Guardian yesterday,
public information officer of the T&T Police
Service, ASP Michael Pierre, said the police
would increase patrols at the popular training
spot. However, he denied the increased police
presence was due to the fact that wealthy per-
sons lived and also exercised in the area.
Cricket legend Brian Lara and business mogul
Arthur Lok Jack live in the community.
"When things like this happen patrols are
usually heightened in the area. There are a
number of people who jog and exercise along
the roadway, so there is that need to assure
them that the police have things under control,"
Meanwhile, police are also investigating the
murder of Jason "Point" Williams Jr, who was
shot in his car a mere 100 metres from his
Augustine Lane, Belmont home on Thursday
According to police reports, Williams was
ambushed by a gunman while driving his Nissan
Wingroad along Belle Eau Road around 7.45
pm. Williams, a garbage truck driver and part
time PH taxi driver, was on his last trip for the
night when he was killed.
Police said a woman and her child were in
the back seat while another woman was in the
front seat when the gunman opened fire. The
car was found crashed into a wall with Williams
slumped over onto the front passenger seat.
The gunman calmly walked away after the
Speaking with the media at the Forensic Sci-
ence Centre, St James, yesterday, Williams sis-
ter-in-law, Joy Phillip, described him as an
easy-going man who usually didn t go into the
Belle Eau Road area. She said Williams was the
father of two boys, seven and 13.
Grace Phillip, Williams wife, said the 38-
year-old had just moved back into the family
home two months ago and was focused on car-
ing for his family.
Phillip questioned why Williams was killed,
as he was not in any gang or affiliated with
any gang and had moved out of the area initially
to remove himself from a war between two
rival gangs in the community who sought to
claim him as one of their "soldiers."
"He was about his family and providing for
his family so he had a good reason not to get
involved," Phillip said.
In an unrelated incident, police said 27-year-
old Hassani Wharwood was killed during a
drug deal that went sour on Thursday. According
to police reports, Wharwood, of Sixth Avenue,
Malick, Barataria, was in a Toyota Yaris with
Nathaniel Guerra along Pundit Street, El Socorro,
San Juan, when a gunman approached and shot
the duo. Wharwood, a labourer with the San
Juan Regional Corporation, died at the scene
while Guerra was taken to the Eric Williams
Medical Complex, Mt Hope, where he is cur-
rently warded in a stable condition.
The killings have taken the murder toll to
119 for the year. The toll was 143 for the same
period last year.
Finance and the Economy Minister
Larry Howai yesterday accused Oppo-
sition Leader Dr Keith Rowley of trying
to bring him down via a motion of no
confidence in Parliament.
But Howai said he could not be brought
down so easily, adding the information
brought to the House was a fraud.
Rowley s motion was based on an
unsigned document which he referred to
in his presentation yesterday. (See page
A6)Howai, however, denied a claim that
while he was CEO at First Citizens Bank
(FCB) he had signed a notice of price-
sensitive information to Cemex in its 2002
attempted bid to take over Trinidad
Cement Limited (TCL).
Howai said he wrote to Cemex on Feb-
ruary 4, 2015, to determine if the claim
was true. He said the company s attorney
replied to his letter saying it did not have
a notice of price-sensitive information
signed by him.
Howai said he didn t have any such
notice in his possession, the bank didn t
have any and the attorneys did not have
He also dismissed a claim that he
attended meetings on the proposed
takeover in 2002.
In fact, he said, his passport records
showed that he was in Canada at the time
of the alleged meeting.
Howai said he also received a letter from
attorney for Sir Henry Forde QC denying
that he had any report relating to Howai
in the said takeover bid. He described the
"report as a fraud."
"What we are dealing with is the work
of ruthless fraudsters who are criminals,"
He said the matter occurred about 13
years ago and he was already interviewed
by the Securities and Exchange Commis-
He said the motion was brought against
him because "people think that maybe I
boosted the government s image."
As far as he could see, Howai said, the
motion was brought for the singular pur-
pose of raising questions about him or
destroying his name.
But he recalled a Sunday school lesson,
which said, "What is built on rock and
has a solid foundation cannot be brought
down so easily by a strong wind far less
by a foul breeze."
He said he "dismissed this particular
report. I dismiss all the allegations in there."
Opposition MP Colm Imbert said
despite Howai s response he had not
answered the issues raised in Rowley s
based on fake
Man killed crossing
Cops start patrols at Lady Chancellor...
Woman shot while walking
Female soldiers from the T&T Regiment march along the Main Road in Point Fortin during the military parade marking the start of Point
Fortin Borough Celebrations 2015, yesterday. PHOTO: TONY HOWELL
Links Archive April 24th 2015 April 26th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page