Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : April 30th 2015 Contents A62
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Thursday, April 30, 2015
West Indies spinner Sunil Narine has
been banned from bowling his off break
deliveries in any match sanctioned by the
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
after undergoing tests on Tuesday.
Narine, who was reported twice last year
during the Champions League T20 tourna-
ment in India, was reported again for a sus-
pect bowling action after playing for the
Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier
League against Sunrisers Hyderabad on April
22.Following tests at the ICC-accredited Sri
Ramachandra Arthroscopy and Sports Sci-
ences Centre, the BCCI suspect bowling
action committee claims that Narine s off
break delivery is illegal.
However, the West Indian spinner is per-
mitted to bowl the knuckle ball and his quick-
er straight ball. Former West Indies cricketer
Bryan Davis believes this is an opportunity
for Narine to develop other areas of his game.
Davis said Narine becoming a leg spinner or
a frontline batsmen is not out of the question.
"He is professional cricketer, he could develop
other deliveries and work on his batting. He
is young enough still, people can t write him
off so quickly."
Davis added that Narine being limited to
certain deliveries will affect him. "He would
not be the same bowler, the off break is his
stock (main) delivery. If batsmen know he
can only bowl one way he will be less effective.
His off breaks give batsmen the most trouble,
that s the danger. It will affect him badly."
The former West Indies cricketer used the
example of West Indian off spinner Shane
Shillingford. Shillingford, who was reported
for an illegal bowling action in 2013 was
allowed to continue bowling, but is not per-
mitted to bowl the doosra in international
cricket. Davis stated Shillingford has not been
as successful since then.
Davis ruled out the possibility of Narine s
career being in jeopardy. "That s jumping to
conclusions. He can work on it, I don t think
(it is the end of his career) but it will limit
Narine can still however bowl for the West
Indies. Davis said if Narine is confident enough
he should play for West Indies. Narine decided
to withdraw from the West Indies tour of
India last year and the World Cup earlier this
year to focus on remodelling his action.
Narine travelled to the University of Lough-
borough in England where he was cleared.
However, the BCCI informed him to get
tested at the Sri Ramachandra University in
Chennai. He was then cleared by the BCCI
and played five matches for Kolkata in the
current tournament before being reported.
...TTCB sends letter to Narine
Narine s bowling action has only been
reported in India, but T&T Cricket Board
executive member Patrick Rampersad is not
sure if he is being targeted. Rampersad said:
"I don t know if he is being targeted."
The TTCB sent a letter to Narine yesterday
expressing its support immediately following
the news. The letter stated the Board is in
full support of Narine and is confident he
will come through this. The TTCB offered
any assistance in the matter as was done
with previous matters concerning Narine.
The Board still believes he is a threat to inter-
national batsmen around the world and the
local fraternity is backing him.
Willis Plaza came off the bench
to set-up the equaliser and then
fire home the winner as Central
FC came-from-behind to defeat
Japs North East Stars 2-1 and
claim a maiden Digicel T&T Pro
League at the Ato Boldon Stadi-
um, Couva on Tuesday.
With the win, Central FC com-
pleted its 24-match campaign with
55 points, six more than last year s
winners DirecTV W Connection
which earlier on the night, also
won 2-1 over Police FC in its penul-
timate match of the season.
Central, winners of this season s
First Citizens Cup and Rawle
Fletcher (Round One) and Akeem
Adams (Round Two) trophies under
previous head coach Zoran Vranes,
who was replaced last month by
Terry Fenwick, also made certain
of capturing the Kevon Carter
(Third Round) trophy and cash
prize to go along with the
$1,000,000 for the league win-
With a match left to complete
its schedule, W Connection is
assured of second spot and
$300,000 with Defence Force, tak-
ing home $150,000 for third, while
every over team down the ladder
In the night s opener, W Con-
nection needed to beat Police FC
to keep alive its faint hopes, but
found itself trailing to a seventh
minute Makesi Lewis item.
However, inform W Connection
forward Hashim Arcia equalised in
the 44th minute, hitting past goal-
keeper Adrian Foncette off a Jerrel
Britto cross, just a minute after
Police coach Richard Hood was
ejected by referee Rodphin Harris.
In the second half, Police trainer
Brian Headley was also banished
from his team s bench and with a
minute left in the match, Arcia
netted the winner with a classy
finish into the bottom corner off
substitute Devaughn Elliot s feed
at the top of the box to keep pres-
sure on Central FC.
Stars did it best to spoil the
occasion with national Under-20
player Neveal Hackshaw beating
goalkeeper Jan-Michael Williams
on his first post to put the visitors
ahead after only four minutes
which his team took into the break.
On the resumption, Fenwick
turned to his bench and introduced
Plaza and he made his presence
felt when he set up Ataulla Guerra
for the equaliser in the 68th minute
past goalkeeper, Cleon John with
his 15th league goal of the season.
And with two minutes left in
the contest, John, who had kept
his team in the match with a num-
ber of crucial saves could do little
to deny Plaza, who rifled the ball
low into the far corner from the
top of the 18-yard-area with his
tenth item since returning to the
club in the January transfer win-
Speaking after the match, an
elated Plaza, who had won the Pro
League twice as a member of San
Juan Jabloteh in the past said, "It
was the game plan to let Dwight
Quintero run their (North East
Stars) legs out, then I would come
in and finish the job."
The 27-year-old Plaza, who
dedicated his winning goal to his
mother, Isadora Torres, who was
seated amongst the hundreds of
Central FC supporters added, "This
year I wanted us to prove a point
by winning the league."
He added. "We had a good
opportunity to win the league last
season but took our foot off the
pedal and ended in second spot,
but this year it was about showing
we are the best by coming first."
Fenwick while happy to clinch
the title was also high in praise for
former coach Zoran Vranes.
A former England World Cup
defender, Fenwick said, "A great
job has been done here, but first
and foremost I d like to thank
Vranes. The reason we brought
him down from the stands is
because he is very much a big part
of this. He deserves it and has been
here for the long period of the sea-
son. But I came in and got it over
the line in the end.
Commenting on the exciting
finish to the league season, Pro
League Chief Executive Officer,
Dexter Skeene said, "Up to the last
and second to last day we had two
teams competing for the million
dollar prize and that says a lot for
W Connection still has a chance
to pick up a title as it will begin
defence of the Digicel Pro Bowl
BCCI bans Narine's off break ball
Plaza guides Central FC million $$$ to title
Central FC captain, Leston Paul, (#6) raises the Digicel T&T Pro League
trophy in jubilation with his team-mates after defeating Japs North
East Stars 2-1 at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on Tuesday night to
claim the $1 million league prize. PHOTO: ANTHONY HARRIS.
W Connection 2 (Hashim Arcia 44th, 89th) vs Police FC 1 (Makesi
Central FC 2 (Ataulla Guerra 68th, Willis Plaza 88th) vs North East
Stars 1 (Neveal Hackshaw 4th)
WConnection 23 15 4 4 45 17 49
DefenceForce 23 11 3 8 45 29 39
PtFortinCivic 23 10 3 10 45 40 33
N/EastStars 23 9 6 8 24 24 33
Remaining Pro League matches:
Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo:
Defence Force vs St. Ann's Rangers, 6 pm
San Juan Jabloteh vs W Connection, 8 pm
A valiant effort by the Central top
order was not enough, as Cavan Byrne s
destructive spell led North to first
innings points and the title in the final
of the BG T&T Under-19 Interzone two-
day match at the National Cricket Cen-
tre in Balmain, Couva, yesterday.
After North posted a mammoth 393/8
declared batting first earlier in the day,
Byrne grabbed 8/55 in 16.4 overs to dis-
miss Central for 273.
The national duo of Dejourn Charles
and Crystian Thurton got Central off to
a positive start, putting on 98 for the
first wicket. Charles who represented
the national U-17 team last year scored
50, while former national U-15 player
Crystian Thurton top scored with 59.
More firepower came to the crease
for Central as former national U-17 cap-
tain Bryan Boodram (49) and former
national U-15 player Saiba Batoosingh
(50) helped push the score to 229/3 at
one stage. However, Central then lost
seven wickets for 44 runs as leg break
bowler Byrne took over the match to
hand North the winning draw.
Earlier in the day North added 66
runs after resuming the day on 326/7.
West Indies U-19 player Amir Jangoo
resuming on 142 not out went on to get
154, while Jean-Paul Rocke cracked an
unbeaten 68 to boost North s total.
Varindra Jagrup finished with 5/127 for
After the match Byrne was happy with
his effort saying, "I am very proud, it
was tough going for the bowlers." With
Central on 229/3 Byrne decided to stay
disciplined. "I decided to bowl in one
area and the wickets started to tumble."
At National Cricket Centre: North 393/8
(Amir Jangoo 154, Jean-Paul Rocke 68
not out, Jordan Warner 64, Sean Persaud
40, Varindra Jagrup 5/127, Emilo Gopaul
2/42) vs Central 273 (Crystian Thurton
59, Dejourn Charles 50, Saiba Batoosingh
50, Bryan Boodram 49, Cavan Byrne
8/55) North won first innings by 120
runs to win title.
Links Archive April 29th 2015 May 1st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page