Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 5th 2015 Contents A62
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, May 5, 2015
out of Gold Cup
with ACL tear
...joins Hector on sideline
Orlando City and T&T international stand-
out, Kevin Molino has taken an optimistic
approach in dealing with the devastating ante-
rior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, which he
sustained while in action for City on Saturday
night, although it effectively ruled him out of
the rest of the MLS campaign, as well as the
Concacaf Gold Cup, which takes place in July.
The injury occurred around 15 minutes into
a friendly clash between Orlando City and Brazil-
ian club Ponte Preta. Molino was on the receiving
end of a tackle that initially appeared harmless
and was he soon taken off for treatment. How-
ever, within moments of his return to the pitch,
the extent of the injury became apparent and
he was withdrawn.
According to a media release issued by the
T&T Football Association (TTFA) yesterday,
Molino's situation is currently being monitored
by Orlando City medical staff and Dr Mario
John, a Orlando-based Trinidadian orthopedic
The release stated: "John relayed that the goal
is to restore the player's range of motion and
get the swelling down in order to have the best
possible outcome from the surgery."
The media release went on to quote Molino
who said that although he is disappointed, his
focus is on a return to full fitness.
"It's devastating, but this is the game," he
"I've known players who have had serious
knee injuries before like Carlos (Edwards), Ken-
wyne (Jones), Cornell (Glen) and most recently
Robert Primus, and they came back from it."
"Hopefully, I will be back and be able to con-
tinue my career and push on to becoming the
player I've been aiming to be."
Molino, a two time USL player of the year
for Orlando City, has not yet scored in the MLS
but has had an assist or a hand in most of City's
goals this year.
He has also been a consistent and reliable
feature for the T&T team in recent years and
was expected to be among the key players in
head coach Stephen Hart's plans for Concacaf's
premier event, which runs from July 7-26.
Hart, who took over as T&T coach just before
the last Gold Cup two years ago, said was deject-
ed for Molino, especially given his age and the
impressive progression of his career.
"This is extremely sad for Kevin. This is always
difficult for a young player now attempting to
establish his career. I wish him the very best
and a full recovery," Hart said, noting that Moli-
no's health and return to football "at the appro-
priate time" should be the focus ahead of his
participation at the Gold Cup.
Unfortunately for fans of the Soca Warriors,
the national team will also be without Hughtun
Hector, who lost the opportunity to play in his
first Concacaf Gold Cup after suffering a rup-
tured Achilles tendon during Vietnamese league
match for Hanoi T&T earlier this month.
Hector was operated on yesterday. However,
according to his doctors, Hector will face at
least five months on the sidelines, before recov-
Hector missed the last Gold due to a decision
by his former club Song Lam Nghe (also of Viet-
nam) not to let him attend a pre-tournament
BRIDGETOWN---West Indies head coach
Phil Simmons has praised the character
of the regional side after they beat England
by five wickets in the third Test on Sunday,
to steal a share of the three-Test series.
Set 192 for victory, West Indies reached
their target late in the evening at Kensington
Oval, to record their first win over England
in six years and only the third in the last
And Simmons, who took over at the helm
of the squad just prior to the start of the
series, said the victory meant a lot to the
side especially following the results in the
first two Tests.
"I can't say about [what it means for]
West Indies cricket in general but I know
for the Test team it's been huge because the
guys have worked hard for the last four
weeks," Simmons told a post-match media
"To have played so well in Antigua and
Grenada and not come out with anything,
you saw the determination of the guys --
especially the bowlers -- to come out of this
with something so it's huge for us."
He added: "That's the biggest thing I can
take from it that everybody showed character
because for the bowlers to bowl out England
for such a low score in the second innings,
just shows massive character coming out
at this early stage of my tenure so it's great
for me to see."
West Indies came in for criticism before
the series, with England and Wales Cricket
Board (ECB) chairman Colin Graves describ-
ing the Caribbean side as "mediocre" and
saying he expected England to easily win
Simmons, a former Test player, said the
team had not taken on the criticism and
noted the victory now sent a strong signal
to the critics.
"Let him decide that (mediocre comment)
now, I'll leave that for him to judge," Sim-
"I think when he's walking out he'll see
a few signs going out there with the meaning
of it so I'll leave that for him."
And like Graves, Simmons said he believed
West Indies were underestimated by the
media, who were now likely to heap pressure
on his opposite number Peter Moores.
"I suppose the criticism will come because
the media will see it as number three playing
number eight ... I think we were [under-
estimated] by the media and Colin Graves'
statement showed it that there was an
underestimation of what we can do," the
"I don't think it was done by the [England]
team but he's going to come into that sort
of criticism because it's number three playing
West Indies drew the first Test at the
Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium before los-
ing the second at the Grenada National Sta-
dium last week by nine wickets. (CMC)
CHENNAI---Both West Indies opener
Dwayne Smith and teammate Dwayne
Bravo failed with the bat but Chennai Super
Kings did just enough to beat Royal Chal-
lengers Bangalore by 24 runs in the Indian
Premier League yesterday.
Playing at the MA Chidambaram Stadium,
the right-handed Smith made a six-ball
nought while Bravo managed just two as
Chennai rallied to 148 for nine off their 20
overs, after opting to bat first.
Bravo then played a key role with the ball,
snaring two for 17 from 3.4 overs to help
limit RCB to 124 all out, with two balls
remaining in the innings.
Chenna suffered the worst possible start
when Smith was bowled by Australia left-
arm seamer Mitchell Starc off the last ball
of the game's first over, without a run on
His partner, New Zealander Brendon
McCullum fell for 20 in the sixth over, leaving
Suresh Raina to rebuild the innings in a 64-
run, third wicket stand with South Africa's
Faf du Plessis.
The left-handed Raina top scored with
52 off 46 balls with five fours and a six while
du Plessis struck 24 from 20 deliveries.
Once du Plessis was bowled by Harshal
Patel in the 15th over, wickets fell steadily,
with Bravo among the collapse -- falling with
two balls left in the innings to a catch at
cover off Starc.
Without Chris Gayle in the line up, RCB
were powered by captain Virat Kohli who
stroked 48 off 41 balls at the top of the order
in a 63-run fourth wicket stand with Dinesh
Karthik who got 23 off 20 balls.
Bravo got the breakthrough when he ran
out Kohli in the 14th over, after the right-
hander squeezed out a yorker back to the
Trinidadian seamer who threw down the
wicket with the batsman out of his crease.
Struggling on 97 for four, RCB then lost
a slew of wickets with Bravo picking up two,
to help the visitors' demise.
At Eden Gardens in Kolkata, there was
also little success for West Indies all-rounder
Andre Russell even though his Kolkata Knight
Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 35 runs.
Russell scored just one in his team's total
of 167 for seven and took one for ten from
two overs, as Sunrisers stumbled to 132 all
Simmons thrilled with Windies
character after victory
Newly appointed West Indies coach Phil Simmons gave a final pep talk to his players
before the start of the third and final Test match against England. The match started last
Friday and ended on Sunday with victory for the Caribbean side by five wickets at the
Kensington Oval, Barbados. WICB PHOTO
Smith, Bravo, Russell on winning sides despite failures
Jonathan Trott today announced his
retirement from international cricket.
Speaking today he said: "This was a tough
decision to make but I don't feel my game
is at the level you need to be at to play for
England. I was honoured to be given the
opportunity to come back and play inter-
national cricket again and I'm disappointed
it didn't work out.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank
everyone who has helped me and given me
the chance to represent England and to
thank supporters for all their backing over
the years. I also want to wish the lads all
the very best for what will be an incredibly
"I've had incredible highs and some real
lows in an England shirt but wouldn't change
a thing. I look forward to continuing my
career at Warwickshire and hopefully helping
us win more silverware."
England Test captain, Alastair Cook, said:
"It has been an absolute honour to play
alongside Trotty in every one of his 52 Tests.
He can be incredibly proud of all he has
achieved in his career and it is no coincidence
that his time in international cricket has
seen the team achieve some very special
things, often with Trotty at the heart of our
success on and off the field.
Jonathan Trott made the last of his 19
Test fifties, to go with nine format tons,
during England's win in Grenada last month.
Trott has played 52 Tests, 68 ODIs and
seven T20s in an international career that
began in 2007. The 34-year-old batsman
made his Test debut during the Ashes in
2009 and made an immediate impact scor-
ing the first of his nine Test centuries.
Trott announces international retirement
Links Archive May 4th 2015 May 6th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page