Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 13th 2015 Contents Qos
Write about any one (1) of the following:-
1. As you prepare to sit your SEA Examination,
what do you think you will be looking forward to
do while you await your results? Would you
want to read more, catch up on some more
sleep, play some games or do other things that
you could not do before? Write a letter to a
close friend that begins with the following
words: "I am certainly looking forward to (name
at least two things) after I sit my S.E.A..."
2. Have you ever been in a situation where there
was an emergency and you had to do something
as quickly as possible? Suppose: You are with
some friends fishing on a boat in the sea or in a
river when all at once, a problem occurs. What
did you do to help and what eventually hap-
pened? Write a story that begins with the fol-
lowing lines: "Without any warning, our small
boat started to leak. I knew that I had to do
3. You will agree that being a mom or dad can be
very difficult and challenging. Suppose you were
able to switch places with your mom, dad or any
one of your guardians, how do you think this
would be? Write a story that begins with the
following lines: "Being my (write which one)
today, promises to be quite challenging. I just
hope that it will be a most useful experience..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Choose one (1) of the answers in the brackets
to complete each of the following sentences.
One of the three books that are on the table
(belong; belongs) to me.
1. Neither the tomatoes nor the basket of fruits (is;
are) for sale.
2. There, high up in the tree, (was; were) the bunch
of ripe cherries.
3. Recently, a few areas in Port of Spain (has;
have) been affected by smoke.
B. Write in the blanks, the plural form of each
word in brackets to complete the following
The (corbeau) corbeaux were flying high,
around, in the sky.
4. There were two (radio) _____________ on the
5. All the (daughter in law) ___________________
had been invited to the party.
6. The net was filled with (salmon) _____________
7. He drank three (cupful) _______________ of
water before eating.
C. Insert a suitable word in the brackets to
replace each underlined part in the following
(S1) Junior and I (We) will wash dad's car,
tomorrow. (Subject Pronoun)
(S2) They met their aunt (her) at the store,
yesterday. (Object Pronoun)
8. Each day, the trainer exercises (the two horses)
_____________ at six o'clock.
9. I finished reading ("Gullivers' travels") last night.
10. (Her eldest daughter) _____________ lives
abroad, in Jamaica.
D. Write 'Trans' ( Transitive) or 'Intrans' (Intransi-
tive) to describe each of the underlined verbs.
(S1) Jimmy caught many fishes in the river.
(S2) Some beautiful music was playing on the
11. The player slammed the ball into the high net.
12. While chasing the bandit, the dog jumped over
the fence. (____________)
13. The attendant washed the cars then parked
them in the huge garage. (____________)
E. Rewrite the following sentences in the Passive
(S1) The girl assisted the elderly woman in
crossing the road. (Active voice)
(S2) The elderly woman was assisted by the
girl in crossing the road. (Passive voice)
14. Tomorrow, our team will play the final cricket
15. In our Literature period, today, Julia wrote a most
F. Fill in the blank in each sentence with one (1)
of the following phrases.
inspired by ; opposed to ; part with ; lenient
towards ; complained of
The visitors had complained of the excessive
heat, during the day.
16. The union was _______________ the plan to dis-
miss some of the workers.
17. We are always _________________ the fine
achievements of our heroes.
18. Some parents are quite __________________
G. Write the longer form of each phrase within
the brackets to complete the following sen-
(Can't we) Can we not meet you there, instead?
19. (Shouldn't you) ________________ tell them that
you are leaving?
20. (We'd) ________________ help you, if we could.
H. The following sentences each contain an error.
Read each sentence well, underline the error
then rewrite only the correction.
The prisoner only received a sentence of one
year. ("a sentence of only one year")
21. There were less spectators at the match, this
22. "Please enter," said the host "And have a seat"
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, May 13, 2015
Links Archive May 12th 2015 May 14th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page