Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 16th 2015 Contents A53
Saturday, May 16, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
LONDON---Colin Graves officially took over
as the chairman of the England and Wales
Cricket Board yesterday --- and marked the
occasion by reigniting a spat with the coun-
try s most controversial player.
Graves chose his first day in the role to
respond to claims by Kevin Pietersen that he
was deceived about a possible recall by the
national team after more than a year out of
the international game.
In a saga that has dominated the sporting
agenda in England this week, Pietersen was
told on Monday he had no chance of getting
back into the England set-up in the short
term because there remained a lack of trust
between him and the ECB.
Pietersen reacted by saying he was misled,
having been told by Graves in March that
there would be a "clean slate" if he signed
for an English county and scored runs.
Pietersen scored 355 not out for Surrey this
week --- a career-high score.
"My integrity has been called into question,
something I can t accept," Graves said in a
statement, marking his first comments as
"I didn t make any promises. There were
no guarantees (to Pietersen)."
Pietersen had his contract terminated by
England after the 2013-14 Ashes series in
Australia, with the ECB saying he became
disengaged with the squad and it wanted a
new team ethic.
Pietersen released an autobiography later
in the year in which he criticised England
players and officials, but he still harboured
a return to the national side.
The appointment of Graves appeared to
give the South Africa-born Pietersen fresh
hope of playing again for his adopted country,
for whom he is the all-time top run-scorer
across all formats.
Graves was quoted by British newspaper
The Daily Telegraph in March as saying if
Pietersen played for a county and scored a
lot of runs, "they can t ignore him, I would
Pietersen secured a release from the start
of his Indian Premier League contract and
signed for Surrey, where he agreed to play
for free with his salary going to charity. He
started the domestic season well, with his
triple-hundred on Monday coming on the
same day he was due to meet the new ECB
director of cricket, Andrew Strauss.
Strauss told Pietersen he would still not be
picked, leading Pietersen to write in a news-
paper column: "I just find it incredibly deceit-
ful what has happened to me."
Graves said: "Given the history and the
book, the simple fact is that bridges have still
not been rebuilt and trust needs to be restored.
That takes time --- as Andrew Strauss made
clear this week.
"Kevin was told on Monday, and I com-
pletely support the decision that was taken.
He may not have liked what he heard but it
allowed him to look at his opportunities.
Despite everything, he can work with us to
rebuild the relationship and make a further
contribution to English cricket."
Graves will move onto other issues, namely
overseeing the appointment of a new coach
following the firing of Peter Moores last week.
There are less than two months until the start
of the Ashes series and the ECB wants to
make the appointment before then.
Graves is also expected to make changes
to the domestic game, including the inau-
guration of a Premier League-style Twenty20
I didn't deceive Pietersen
Shane Warne and Sachin Ten-
dulkar are understood to be
planning a new Twenty20 event
for retired international players
that would involve two teams
playing each other in a series of
Although the plans are not con-
crete yet at least the organisers,
whose identity has not yet been
revealed, have a shortlist of 30
players in mind. It is understood
that they have identified, among
others, Brian Lara, Rahul Dravid,
Jacques Kallis, Ricky Ponting, Anil
Kumble, Brett Lee, Adam
Gilchrist, Muttiah Muralitharan,
Andrew Flintoff, Glenn McGrath
and VVS Laxman.
The plan is understood to
involve a series of matches
around the world over a three-
and-a-half-year period, with
the USA to host the first series
in September. The idea, it is
learnt, is to take the matches to
places where fans are starved of
good quality cricket. The USA,
Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong,
UAE are some of the venues the
organisers are exploring.
A report in the Australian
newspaper said the proposed
tournament, which it said would
be called the Cricket All-Stars
League, had offered contracts
worth US$25,000 a match to ex-
players to be involved in it.
The seeds for this venture are
believed to have been sown last
year during Lord s bicentenary
celebrations, where Tendulkar and
Warne led teams in a 50-over
match. Subsequently both players
and their management teams
fanned around the cricketing
globe to check if recently retired
players were interested in playing
in Twenty20 matches which
would be competitive in nature.
The organisers are also keeping
powerful boards like the BCCI,
Cricket Australia and ECB in the
loop and are expected to make a
formal announcement in the next
two months to make the plans
An ICC spokesman said it had
not yet received any communi-
cation and had seen nothing other
than what had been reported in
the media. "There is a process in
place with regard to activities
such as this and the ICC will deal
with it once it is approached," the
Lee s manager, Neil Maxwell,
said Lee had received an offer and
would be seeking permission from
Cricket Australia to play.
"I can t see anything wrong
with it," Maxwell told Fox Sports.
"It s a group of retired blokes
playing a game of cricket."
The reports come as the Indian
Essel Group also considers
launching a T20 league, although
the two ventures are unrelated.
There has been no comment
from Warne or Tendulkar,
although in January, Warne
tweeted that "Sachin & I have an
exciting announcement soon".
Warne, Tendulkar linked to
veterans' exhibition-match series
ISLAMABAD---Zimbabwe Cricket has offi-
cially confirmed it will be sending its team
to Pakistan as per schedule next week, a Pak-
istan Cricket Board spokesman said yester-
Agha Akbar said that ZC has confirmed the
tour "in writing" to the PCB late yesterday
and the tourists will arrive in Lahore early
Tuesday for two Twenty20s and three ODIs.
Earlier, PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan and
his ZC counterpart Wilson Manase talked three
times by telephone since confusion arose on
Thursday when Zimbabwe canceled the tour,
then deferred the decision to yesterday.
Khan said Manase told him the tour will go
ahead, and Khan asked him to send confir-
mation in writing.
"Wilson Manase told me he has got the
clearance from his government to go, and he
will send it in writing too," Khan said.
Khan said on all three occasions, Manase
reassured him about the tour, the first by a
Test-playing nation to Pakistan in more than
six years. Manase also said he will accompany
The tour was jeopardised after militants
killed 45 minority Shiite on a bus in the south-
ern port city of Karachi on Wednesday.
On Thursday, the Zimbabwe government,
which must clear all sports tours, recommended
the cricketers not go to Pakistan over security
concerns. Zimbabwe Cricket initially announced
the tour was canceled, but less than 30 minutes
later said there was no decision yet.
Test teams stopped visiting Pakistan after
the Sri Lanka team bus was attacked by gun-
men en route to a test in 2009 in Lahore. Six
police and a driver were killed, and several Sri
Zimbabwe had already gone against the
advice of the international players association
in agreeing to the tour.
ZC managing director Alistair Campbell was
just in Lahore last week with a delegation from
Zimbabwe, and said they were excited about
the tour, and that Pakistan "left no stone
unturned to make sure that we will be safe."
A meeting of organising committee of the
series was held at Gaddafi Stadium yesterday
and the ticket sales will begin from today.
"The preparations for the tour are in full
swing and this morning we had a meeting of
the organising committee to tie all the loose
ends," PCB chief operating officer Subhan
Ahmad said in a statement.
"From the inquiries and feedback that we
are getting, people are really eager to come
and watch the revival of international cricket
in Pakistan." (AP)
Sachin Tendulkar, left, and Shane Warne at Lord's last year.
Rajiv Shukla, the IPL chairman, has said
the BCCI is looking to scrap the Champions
League Twenty20. The issue was discussed
at the board s governing council meeting in
April as a result of limited interest from fans
Shukla said there are thoughts of conducting
a different tournament in its place, and that
he and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur are
weighing possible options.
"Yes, we are planning to do away with the
Champions League T20," he told PTI. "In
place of that, we are considering an alternative
league. But at the moment all this is at the
"Several ideas are coming and honourable
secretary and myself are considering those
ideas. We will sit together after the IPL gets
over and try and plan out something.
"At the moment we don t have anything in
hand, but yes we are in the process of bouncing
off ideas. When something concrete comes
up, we will certainly bring it to everyone s
There have been six editions of the CLT20
so far pitting the top teams of various countries
against each other.
India, Australia and South Africa are the
primary stakeholders of the tournament, while
teams from West Indies, Pakistan and Sri
Lanka have been regular competitors.
The major fallout for the teams would be
the loss of monetary benefits. CLT20 appear-
ances are included in IPL teams sponsorship
deals and the non-Indian teams receive
There have been reports of the top-four
IPL teams who make the playoffs this season
to play a league-based event leading into a
knockout stage to be played in the UAE.
Shukla: BCCI planning to do away with CLT20
Links Archive May 15th 2015 May 17th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page