Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 19th 2015 Contents Man collapses
A 59-year-old man remained in police custody
yesterday after another relative died during a strug-
gle with him on Sunday in Sangre Grande.
Police said Hyland Chunisingh, 61, of Sangre
Chiquito, died soon after a struggle with a rel-
A report said around 11.30 am, Chunisingh and
the relative had an argument over water flowing
through their joined property.
During a struggle Chunisingh collapsed, police
said. He was taken under his house to relax but died
shortly after, police said.
Relatives immediately notified the police.
Sgt Lutchman, Cpl Jones, PCs Franka and officers
of the Crime Scene Unit and the Homicide Bureau
visited the scene.
The body was viewed by the district medical officer
who ordered its removal to the Forensic Science Cen-
tre, St James, for an autopsy.
Investigators said Chunisingh suffered from heart
and diabetic problems.
Up to late yesterday, police were awaiting the results
of the autopsy. Investigations are continuing.
Less than 24 hours after 18-month-old Rojel Jer-
imiah Hillaire-Farrow allegedly died after falling
off a chair, police have arrested a 20-year-old
woman for his murder.
An autopsy by pathologist Dr Eslyn Mc Donald-
Burris yesterday revealed that Rojel died from internal
bleeding caused by blunt force trauma he sustained
on his body.
According to police, the woman reported that
around 9.15 am Sunday, she and the child were at
home their Exchange Road, Couva, when she dis-
ciplined him because "he wanted to have his own
The child allegedly had a tantrum, causing him to
fall off a chair.
Around 12.30 pm she fed him and put him down
for a nap but when she attempted to wake him around
3.30 pm he was unresponsive.
The child s father and a friend rushed to
the home and attempted to revive him.
When that failed, he was taken to the
Couva District Health Facility where he
was examined and pronounced dead at
Several marks of violence were found on
the boy s body which prompted staff to con-
tact the Couva police.
PC Flavinney met with the doctor who
examined the child at the heath facility and
the police took the medical certificate and
a request for a post mortem at the Forensic
Science Centre, St James.
La Brea man
A 52-year-old La Brea man, who was chopped
during a scuffle over a woman on Sunday night
remains warded in a serious condition at hospital.
Police said around 9 pm, Victor Ryan of Three
Hands Village, La Brea, went to visit Drucilla Bradey
at her home at Country Trace, Cap-de-Ville, Point
Fortin. It was alleged that Ryan walked into her bed-
room and saw her with a 47-year-old man and he
slapped the woman in her face.
A struggle broke out between both men and Ryan
was chopped on the head and neck with a cutlass.
Point Fortin police were called in and he was taken
to the Point Fortin Area Hospital where he was treated
and later transferred to the San Fernando General
Up until yesterday, the unidentified man was in
Cameraman in court
on two charges
A technical operator employed at Channel 5 tel-
evision in Tobago appeared in court yesterday
charged with two criminal offences which arose
while filming an accident scene last Friday
Nkem Scotland, 24, appeared before Magistrate
Cherylanne Antoine in the Scarborough Magistrates
Court, on charges of obstructing a police officer in
the execution of his duties and resisting arrest.
The charges arose following an incident involving
Scotland and a police officer while he was videotaping
an accident around 12.30 pm last Friday along Wilson
Road, Scarborough, near the Royal Castle food outlet.
He pleaded not guilty to both charges.
Magistrate Antoine upheld the $10,000 bail which
was previously set by a Justice of the Peace. Scotland
is scheduled to reappear in court on June 11.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, May 19, 2015
MTS workers mull
protest action over
stalled wage talks
National Maintenance Training and Security
Company Ltd (MTS) workers intend to begin protest
action after a lack of results for a wage increase.
Yesterday, workers from Cedros, Point Fortin,
Toco, Mayaro, Brazil and Rio Claro attended a meeting
at the Transport and Industrial Workers Union Hall,
In a telephone interview yesterday president of
the TIWU Roland Sutherland said MTS and the
company held five meetings in an eight-month
period and they were still not in a position to make
Sutherland said the union was requesting a 40
per cent increase for the period between 2012 and
"We are in 2015 now and we still talking about
increase for 2012 and 2014. This is what aggravating
the workers. All they (company) are saying are they
are not in a position to offer but they are optimistic
that something will happen soon. You can t take
that to the grocery," he said.
Sutherland said the workers decided to negotiate
in good faith by making a proposal.
"The workers took a position that they will do
whatever is necessary to force the negotiations to
proceed and come to a form of settlement. Read
between the lines. They took their decision and know
what they are going to do and what date," he said.
When contacted, an official at the Ministry of
Education said there were schools that were already
using private staff and MTS "would not be paid
because they are under contract."
An official at the Judiciary Communications
Department said he could "not comment on the
action until it happens or comment on industrial
Links Archive May 18th 2015 May 20th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page