Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : May 20th 2015 Contents Q o s See your Friday Guardian
for the Answers
Write about any one (1) of the following topics.
1. Next term, all of you will be awaiting your SEA
results. As you do so, you may think about your
experiences during the time you spent in stan-
dard five. What would you say would be three of
your most memorable and happy experiences
while you were a student of your present class?
Think about these as you write a story that be-
gins with the following line "My experience as a
standard five student has been most interesting
but my most memorable experiences have
2. Sometimes, we should volunteer to do certain
things in order to help those around us, for ex-
ample, assisting our elderly neighbours in clean-
ing their homes during the Christmas season,
helping our friends who may have lost their
homes in a fire, assisting, with your parents, your
grand parents on weekends, if they are not well
and so on. Soon, after you sit the SEA, you will
have some extra time in which you, too, can give
some of your that time freely in assisting some-
one in your neighbourhood. Write a letter to a
close friend, naming two things that you think
you could volunteer to do and giving reasons, in
some detail, for these choices..."
3. Do you own something that you will never give
away? Why is this particular thing so important
and valuable to you? Continue the story that be-
gins with the following lines:- "I own many things
but I definitely would not give away my (you can
name the item) that means so much to me..."
SECTION I - GRAMMAR SKILLS
A. Write in the blank spaces, the singular form of
each word given in brackets.
Steven played the (pianos) piano during the
1. The (passersby) ________________ had stopped
to observe the accident.
2. Mummy used the (scissors) ______________ to
cut the piece of cloth.
3. Duane's (brothers in law) _______________ is an
B. Name the Part of Speech of each underlined
If you arrive by two o'clock, we will be able to
leave on time. (Conjunction)
4. There were several people in the room.
5. Tomorrow, the Principal addresses the students
in the hall. (________________)
"We'll meet after," said Andy to his friend, Joe.
C. Rewrite each of the following sentences,
changing each verb into the Past Tense.
(S1) Carol spends the time reading a daily
(S2) Carol spent the time reading a daily
7. Carol spent the time reading a daily newspaper.
Sammy tears his jersey while climbing down the
8. The earthquake shakes the whole town for a
9. The woodcutter splits the tree trunk into equal
D. Replace each of the following underlined
phrases with a suitable word.
David presented a most beautiful bouquet (it)
to his mom for Mothers' Day.
10. Our aunt gave Michela and me
(________________) some wonderful gifts.
11. The vendor put all the fruits and vegetables
(________________) into a large bag.
12. Gail lent her cell phone to her older sister.
E. Circle one of the words in the brackets to com-
plete each of the following sentences.
(Has; Have) anybody ever visited there, before?
13. Either the fruits or the kilo of potatoes (is ; are)
in he basket.
14. Most of the eggs (has ; have) been used in mak-
ing the cake.
15. Neither the car nor the bicycles (is ; are) in the
F. Use a suitable word to complete each of the
Yesterday, we met the woman whose son is my
__________________ did you say has won the
17. The police wrecked the car ________________
was wrongly parked on the street.
18. To _______________ are you sending that special
19. These are the prizes from ____________ the
most valuable one was chosen.
G. Each of the following sentences contains an
error. Read each sentence well, underline the
error, then write only the correction inside the
The cats' tail was quite long (cat's) - to refer to
20. Although he lives in Point Fortin, the man went
quite Curepe to repair his car.
21. You and me should be able to attend the match,
once Mummy and he agree about it.
22. The man what cut our lawn is our next door
Some questions are more difficult to find answers
for than others mainly because you can use informa-
tion given in the passage to answer them.
Read the following sample passage very carefully 2 - 3
times then answer the questions that follow:
Q. 1. How old was Shadow when he was given to
the writer as a pet?
Q. 2. Why did the writer call his dog Shadow?
Q. 3. On what special occasion did the writer get
I have had my dog Shadow since he was
three months old. My best friend's father
had given him to me as a present on my
tenth birthday. I had named him Shadow
because of his all black coat of fur. Shadow
and I have had quite a lot of fun together
over the years. I am now a grown man and
Shadow is now a fat old dog that hardly
moves from his basket. However, Shadow
has not lost his appetite for food. He still eats
a big bowl of rice and beef liver every day. I
still love him as much now as on the first day
I got him as a birthday present.
Continued on the next page
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, May 20, 2015
Links Archive May 19th 2015 May 21st 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page