Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 2nd 2015 Contents National Under-20 striker Kadeem Corbin of St Ann s
Rangers, and defensive trio Kaydion Gabriel, Triston Hodge,
and Elijah Belgrave have been included in a senior Soca
Warriors squad for the first time as the team begins the
first phase of preparations for the 2015 Concacaf Gold Cup
in the USA next month.
Corbin was voted as the "Most Valuable Player" for the
2014 Caribbean Football Union Under-20 Championship last
year, a qualifier to the Concacaf Under-20 Championship
which was contested earlier this year. Hodge was part of the
recent Derek King-coached national Under-20 training squad
for the Under-20 Concacaf Championship while Belgrave and
Gabriel also had a productive seasons for their respective
Having been recently overlooked, Defence Force striker
Devorn Jorsling and midfielder Kerron Cummings have both
earned recalls, along with Central FC midfielder Sean De Silva
and clubmate, striker, Willis Plaza
The 31-year-old Jorsling, capped off another stellar by top-
ping the Pro League scoring charts with 20 goals on the way
to becoming the league's all-time leading scoring with 135
goals, three more than San Juan Jabloteh's Kerry Baptiste.
Since making his debut in 2007, Jorsling has made 40
appearances for the Soca Warriors, scoring 17 goals, but has
not featured in over two years
De Silva, a former T&T Under-17 and Under-20 midfielder
is rumoured to be targeted by Guyana coach, Jamaal Shabazz
for that team's 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Trinidad-born De Silva has not played competitively for
the Soca Warriors internationally, having featured in friendly
encounters with Panama five years ago and then against
Finland in 2012, and qualifies to don Guyana uniform because
of his Guyanese born grandparents.
In form 27-year-old Willis Plaza has also been named in
the squad after being in great form for Digicel T&T Pro League
newly crowned champion Central FC and along with Jorsling
and W Connection's Shahdon Winchester.
Plaza was key to the "Couva Sharks" landing the domestic
league title as well as the CFU Club Championship crown
and on Friday last was voted Pro Bowl "Most Valuable Player"
after his club thumped Caledonia AIA 4-1 in the final.
Soca Warriors coach Stephen Hart said yesterday that the
squad is not final for the Gold Cup where his team faces
Guatemala in its opener on July 9, at Soldier Field, Chicago;
Cuba on July 12 at the University of Phoenix Stadium, and
Mexico (July 15) at Bank of America Stadium, in Pool C.
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Goalkeepers: Jan-Michael Williams (Central FC), Marvin
Phillip (Pt Fortin Civic);
Defenders: Mekeil Williams (W Connection), Eljiah
Belgrave (Police FC); Kaydion Gabriel (Central FC),
Shannon Gomez (W Connection, Triston Hodge (W
Connection), Daneil Cyrus (W Connection)
Midfielders: Andre Boucaud (Dagenham & Redbridge---
UK), Leston Paul (Central FC), Dwane James (North East
Stars), Khaleem Hyland, Ataulla Guerra (Central FC),
Sean De Silva (Central FC), Keron Cummings (North
East Stars), Kadeem Corbin (St Ann's Rangers)
Forwards: Shahdon Winchester (W Connection),
Kenwyne Jones (Cardiff City---UK) Devorn Jorsling
(Defence Force). Willis Plaza (Central FC)
T&T GOLD CUP SQUAD
T&T may see
Kohli next year
India will be touring the West Indies next year, as sched-
uled under the International Cricket Council (ICC) Future
Tours Programme (FTP) and president of the T&T Cricket
Board and director of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB),
Azim Bassarath is confident that Virat Kohli s team will be
playing in T&T.
Bassarath said yesterday he was confident that all the issues
surrounding the West Indies and India will be sorted out in
time for their tour to the Caribbean next year. "We are con-
fident that this will happen because good sense will prevail.
The WICB has been working towards a solution and we are
not going to let this get to a point where a series does not
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has sus-
pended all bi-lateral arrangements with the West Indies
Cricket Board after last year's abandoned tour of India.
The West Indies cricket team left their tour of India early
after a wage dispute with the WICB. The team led by Dwayne
Bravo, left the hills off Dharmshala after the fourth ODI and
headed back to the Caribbean, not finishing their five-match
The WICB also failed to send a team to honour a Test
series and as a result the BCCI slapped the WICB with a bill
of US$41.97M. Several deadlines have been missed by the
WICB for repayment and currently the situation is still unre-
solved. Recently president of the WICB, Dave Cameron said
there will be an update on the situation.
Last weekend the WICB held a retreat in Barbados for the
directors and the players - a bonding exercise - however a
well placed source said the India matter was not discussed.
Bassarath remains hopeful: "I am confident the relations
will resume, yes we have things to work out and the situation
is not an easy one to deal with but we will get this sorted
before the India series in the region."
Bassarath also turned his attention to the fact that T&T
did not get any Test matches this year. "When the Indians
come to the Caribbean, we will be working closely with the
government to get a Test match here. The situation that
obtained this year that led to no Test matches will not happen
again. We are going to make public the date that the WICB
sends out bid packages, so the government will be aware of
what is going on and the people will also be informed."
hat-trick but Notts win
NOTTINGHAM---West Indies all-rounder Darren Sammy
nearly grabbed a hat-trick as he helped Nottinghamshire defeat
Durham by 15 runs in the English T20 Blast here Sunday.
Chasing Notts' 175 for seven, Durham came up short at 160
for six off 20 overs, with Sammy taking two for 31 from his four
overs of medium pace.
His two wickets came off the two final deliveries of the 11th
over when he removed Calum MacLeon who made 32 and former
England captain Paul Collingwood who made 30, to break a
threatening 47-run, third wicket stand.
John Hastings then successfully negotiated Sammy's first ball
of the 13th over, to deny him the hat-trick.
Gordon Muchall then struck an unbeaten 42 from 30 balls
but it was not enough to deny Notts.
"I don't think I've ever taken a hat-trick. I've had two in two
balls on a few occasions so a hat-trick would have been nice,
but the main thing was that we won with a team effort," Sammy
"Collingwood and MacLeod were starting to build a partnership
like (Riki) Wessels and (Samit) Patel [in the Notts innings] so
it was crucial to get the breakthrough and we did that."
Earlier, Sammy struck a cameo 19 off 13 balls with a four and
a six as Notts finished their innings with a flourish after being
sent in at Trent Bridge.
Opener Wessels top-scored with 67 from 41 balls and shared
exactly a hundred for the third wicket with Patel whose 46 came
from 39 deliveries. Sammy was the only other batsman in double
First Citizens Sportsman of the Year
George Bovell, will be seeking to earn
places in tomorrow s finals of the the
men s 50m freestyle and 100m freestyle
when he competes in the 21st Tropheo
Citta di Roma, in Italy today.
The three-day meet splashed off yes-
terday with finals of the 200m and
400m freestyle events as well as the
mixed 4 x 100m relay and concludes at
the Palace of Swimming Pool, Salaria
Sport Village, Rome, tomorrow.
Competing for the first time since his
double silver showing during the second
week of last month's Belgian Open
Swimming Championship, Bovell first
lines up in the 50m freestyle heat which
has a field of 140-plus entrants as he
resumes his build-up to next month's
Pan American Games in Canada and
the FINA World Aquatic Championship
in Kazan a month later.
Bovell will face stiff competition
from Spanish 100m record holder
Markel Alberdi, Lorenzo Benatti, Fabio
Corellla, Alessandro Bori, Andrea Rolla,
Michele Santucci, Italian champion
Lucio Spadaro, Alex Di Giorgo, and his
two ADN Swim Project clubmates,
Russians Lagunov Evgent and
He will then return to the venue in
the afternoon session for the men's
100m freestyle heats where Alberdi,
Bori, Di Giorgio, Rolla, Evgent, Oleg,
Brazilian Rodrigues Henriques, Damiano
Lestingi, Andrea Baioni and Federico
Ceccarini are his main opponents.
Last month at the Belgian Open
Swimming Championship, Bovell got
two silver medals at the Olympic Swim-
ming Pool, Wezenberg, Antwerp.
Soca Warriors will know today if
their planned friendly encounter with
Curacao, orignally carded for Friday
at the Stadion Ergilio Hato, Willem-
stad, Curacao will come off.
The Dutch-speaking nation requested
to have the match brought forward by
two days to tomorrow, a move that has
not been met with a positive response
from T&T coach Stephen Hart and the
T&T Football Association (T&TFA).
Commenting yesterday, Hart said,
"The Curacao football authorities called
and requested a change but we only
began training this morning (yesterday),
so it will be too soon for us".
"We are still trying to see if we can
have the match played on Friday and I
believe by tomorrow (today) we shall
have a better idea. If not we will continue
to work towards our next engagement
against Jordan on June 16."
T&T last faced off with Curacao in
the group stages of last November's
Caribbean Football Union Cup Finals in
Montego Bay, with the Soca Warriors
coming away with a 3-2 win.
Hart names first
squad for Gold Cup
Soca Warriors, Curacao friendly in balance
Bovell targets 50m, 100m free finals
celebrates a goal
during the final
of the Caribbean
Links Archive June 1st 2015 June 3rd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page