Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 5th 2015 Contents Totalcost=450+$40=$90
b. Cost of 3 1/2 kg bananas =
3 1/2 x $12.50 = 7/2 x $12.50/1 =
7 x $6.25 = $43.75
c. $12.50 + $25 + $40 = $77.50
packs of noodles = $26.70
$16.50 + Cost of 4 packs of noodles
$16.50 -- $16.50 + Cost of 4 packs
of noodles = $26.70 - $16.50
Cost of 4 packs of noodles = $10.20
Cost of 4/4 pack of noodles =
Cost of 1 pack of noodles = $2.55
45. Earnings for 1 hr = $45
Earnings for 40 hrs =
Earnings for 1 hr over 40 hrs per
week = $45 + $22.50 = $67.50
Earnings for 8 hrs @ $67.50 = $540
Total earnings = $1 800 + $540 =
Answer: $2 340.00
46. Dist. travelled in 25 mins = 40 km =
Dist. travelled in 1 min = 40 000 m
divided by 25 = 40000/25
Dist. travelled in 45 mins =
40000/25 x 45/1 = 72 000 m
Answer: 72 000 metres
Practice Exercise #1
Practice Exercise #2: NOUNS from Verbs
(1) Mrs. Allen's doctor's (appoint) ap-
pointment was at nine a.m. on
(2) The visitors asked for (direct) di-
rections to the popular beach.
(3) Selvon is a (create) creator of ex-
(4) Her (content) contentment about
little things is much to be admired.
5. The dry season has caused a (re-
duce) reduction in the amount of
rain in the reservoirs.
6. The story as told by the (narrate)
narrator was most exciting.
7. There was much (resent) resent-
ment over the way in which the
player had been left out from the
8. The taste of the cake was greatly
improved by the (add) addition of
some special spices.
9. Mr. Davis was recently appointed
as (direct) director of a national
10. The (attend) attendant was
asked to park the car in the garage.
Practice Exercise #3: VERBS from Nouns
(a) My sister loves to (song) sing in
(b) If you do not dress your wound, it
might (blood) bleed a lot.
(c) Mummy cut the pieces of water-
melon into (half) halves before
sharing it to us.
(d) The lawyer had to (proof) prove
that his client was innocent.
(e) The water had (drop) dripped
through the hole in the floor.
(f) Glue was used to (bond) bind the
two pieces of cardboard.
(g) The performer will (tale) tell the
audience one of his humorous sto-
(i) Our host invited us to (seat) sit at
the nearest table.
Practice Exercise #4: Verbs from Adjectives
(a) The soft concrete should (hard)
harden in a two day's time.
(b) W.A.S.A. usually (pure) purifies
the water before it is sent to us.
(c) There was so much traffic that the
road was eventually (wide)
(d) Ms. Dianne (simple) simplified the
problem by showing the children
some more examples.
(e) He (moist) moistened his hand-
kerchief to remove some sweat off
(f) If you (clean) cleanse the wound,
it would be able to heal faster.
(g) His brilliant ideas helped the clerk
to (just) justify his being an em-
ployee in the company.
(h) The farmer had (fertile) fertilised
the soil to obtain a better crop.
Practice Exercise #5: ADJECTIVES from
(1) The police allowed the (peace)
peaceful protest to take place.
(2) The dancers did a (fault) faultless
dance for their performance.
(3) The (fear) fearless hunter plunged
headlong into the shark filled wa-
(4) The groom had worn a most
(fashion) fashionable suit at his
(5) The doctor advised his patient that
the injection might be a bit (pain)
(6) Marcie cares much for her pet kit-
ten for she is such a (love) love-
able/ lovable pet.
(7) In spite of his old age, Mr. Adams
continues to live an (act) active
(8) The (skill) skilful surgeon has per-
formed countless, successful oper-
Practice Exercise #6: ADJECTIVES FROM
OTHER ADJECTIVES ,USING PREFIXES
(a) Carla suddenly felt very (in ; un)
secure as she walked along the
(b) Being quite harsh towards anyone
whom he met, Simon was a most
(un ; dis) popular person.
(c) Most of us do not support the (im
; in) humane treatment of pets.
(d) The case was dismissed because
the witness was (un ; dis) true in
(e) The sound of the music was (un ;
in) audible as you moved away
from the scene.
(f) Many people had refused to live in
the (un ; im) safe neighbourhood.
(g) The king's (un ; dis) loyal subjects
did not receive any awards.
(h) The class was asked to do over all
the (in ; im) correct problems.
(j) Although the workmen tried their
best, the huge rock was (in ; im)
(j) He was (im; dis) agreeable be-
cause of his unpleasant nature.
1. Each episode of the programmes
aired on the three television chan-
nels was half-hour long.
2. DISNEY channel aired only one
episode of the programmes.
3. When DISNEY was airing "Good
Charlie," "Sam the Cat" was
being aired on NICK.
4. NICK Channel aired episodes of
the same programme one after
5. You would have to tune in to DIS-
NEY Channel to see the pro-
gramme "Lucky Duck."
6. Four wickets fell during the bowl-
ing of Roach.
7. One hundred and ninety three
(193) runs were scored at the fall
of the seventh wicket.
8. Twenty-nine (29) runs were
scored during the bowling of Gayle.
9. B.J. Watling remained not out by
the end of play.
10. The batsmen who scored the
most runs scored sixty-six (66).
11. There are four (4) teams in each
12. France is leading Group E.
13. Japan and Greece have failed to
score points to date.
14. Columbia most likely won two (2)
15. Brazil and Mexico most likely
played to a "draw".
Friday, June 5, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
Links Archive June 4th 2015 June 6th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page