Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 14th 2015 Contents Five more
JENSEN LA VENDE
A 15 year old who sought refuge from drug dealers
was murdered along with his father at the father s
Quarry Road Heights, Guanapo, home, yesterday.
Police reports state that around 11 am yes-
terday, friends of Wendell "Green" Robinson,
37, and Dominic Robinson, 15, went to check
on the duo when they found father and son on
the bed and on the floor, respectively, with gun-
shot wounds to their heads. Nothing from the
house was taken, as far as family and friends could
Speaking with the media outside the murder scene,
Camile Woodley, the teen s mother, said her son
had left their Wallerfield home on Friday and rode
several miles to his father s house where he was to
spend the weekend. She said that her son preferred
to ride to his father s home on weekends as there
were drug dealers in the neighbourhood and he did
not want to be part of that lifestyle.
Woodley said her son was a caring and respectable
person who was his "father s eyeball." She added
that the form three pupil of Coryal High loved sports,
was involved in cycling and javelin throwing, and
"was very fit".
"The last time we saw him was yesterday (Friday)
evening about minutes to four. He left home to
come here. He went and pump up his cousin
bike and ride this road to come up. I tell you
he is a cyclist, he love to ride. He would go
work on the weekend and hustle to make some
extra money by the quarry," Woodley said,
adding that the last conversation she had with
her son was after 6 pm Friday when he told
her that he was almost at his father s house.
She added, "It doesn t matter where, it have
crime all about. You see how quiet it is up here.
What they do that for? His father was also a
nice man. He would cook for security and give
coffee to them too. If you have no food in
your house he would take food from his own
house and give you.
"Dominic used to like to come out here because
some of the boys out where we living, them in
some drugs and he wanted to stay away from temp-
tation, so he would come out here and just relax
and talk to his father," she said.
A neighbour of the teen s father said he was
supposed to have spent the night at the house as
well but forgot his cigarettes at home and
could not go through the night without them.
The man, who did not want to be identified,
said the killing was shocking as the father and
son were not the type to harass anyone. He
added that the father was the type to offer
anyone in the vicinity of his home a cup of coffee,
food and good conversation. Both relatives and
police are dumbfounded as to who or why anyone
would have wanted the pair dead.
While the bodies of the two were being discov-
ered, homicide officers were at Providence Estate,
Upper Bournes Road, looking for clues into the
killing of 29-year-old Ronald "Reddo" Marcano.
Supt Patterson of the Western Division who
responded to the shooting along with Cpl Pennie
and PC Holder told journalists that around 11.05
a.m. residents reported hearing gunshots and found
Marcano who lived at River Estate, Diego Martin,
dead. He was shot multiple times in the head. Police
said Marcano came to assist Derek Vincent move out
when he was approached by a gunman who escaped
following the kill. Police said they had no motive for
Marcano s shooting as he was known to them as a
of St Joseph
Demolition of the concrete deck-
ing of the near complete $15 million
St Joseph River Bridge has begun.
Yesterday, National Infrastructure
Development Company (Nidco)
chairman Dr Carson Charles said
demolition of the decking, which failed
standard testing two weeks ago, began
on Friday and was expected to be
ramped up on Tuesday.
Works and Infrastructure Minister
Dr Surujrattan Rambachan, in a Sunday
Guardian article last week, said a probe
had been launched into the project after
the decking failed concrete testing and
Contractor KJS Enterprises Ltd had
been mandated to demolish the con-
crete decking and steel work and
redo the structure before work on
the bridge resumed.
Shyankaran Lalla, chairman of
the National Building Code Com-
mittee, commenting on the project,
said the sub-standard concrete work
was indicative of a need for a building
code and stringent enforcement of
Lalla said, "There appears to be a
lack of oversight, a shortcoming with
regard to the project management
and the quality control capacity within
the Ministry of Works."
Rambachan had said that it was not
the first time a contractor had to
demolish and reconstruct projects. Lalla
said such problems would continue to
"This is a problem that is occurring
throughout the industry because of the
non-conformance of codes and stan-
dards and so on, and unless the Gov-
ernment moves towards the develop-
ment and stringent enforcement of
building codes they are going to con-
tinue having a problem with quality. I
make no apologies for that."
He suggested that greed on the part
of some contractors led to poor work-
Lalla lamented that the building code
committee was yet to receive funding
for the development of a national build-
ing code, even though a $12 million
budget was approved in December 2013.
Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal,
via text message, said he would be hold-
ing a media conference this week to
address issues with regard to the nation-
al building code.
Sunday Guardian www.guardian.co.tt June 14, 2015
The St Joseph bridge
Continued on Page A7
Links Archive June 13th 2015 June 15th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page