Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 15th 2015 Contents A29
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
A consumer-focused Sim card that
automatically connects users to
whichever UK mobile network has the
best signal is set to go on sale.
Lancashire-based start-up Anywhere
Sim aims to launch its notspot-tackling
service within five weeks.
A small number of other mobile
virtual network operators (MVNOs)
already offer national roaming in the
UK, but target their products at
One expert said demand for the new
service might be limited by its cost.
The main operators---Vodafone, EE,
O2 and Three---have resisted pressure
from the government to offer national
Business Secretary Sajid Javid had
proposed that the firms automatically
switch users to different 2G signals
when their own networks dropped out.
But the operators instead favoured
extending their own coverage and
creating bilateral network-sharing
agreements to tackle the problem.
Roaming Sim card to tackle UK notspots
Caracas---A top US diplomat has met
with the president of Venezuela s
National Assembly in Haiti to discuss
diplomatic relations amid high tension
between the two countries, the assem-
Diosdado Cabello, regarded as
Venezuela s second most powerful man,
and US State Department Counselor
Thomas Shannon met for more than an
hour and a half on Saturday for talks
facilitated by Haitian President Michel
The meeting was "aimed at normal-
ising diplomatic relations with respect
to international law, sovereignty and
self-determination of people," said
Cabello, who was accompanied by
Venezuelan Foreign Minister Delcy
According to a statement by the
National Assembly, Cabello said that
the talks "represent an important step
towards full restoration of relations
between the countries".
Tensions have run particularly high
between the United States and Venezuela
since US President Barack Obama
slapped sanctions in March on seven
Venezuelan officials linked to human
rights abuses. However, the two countries
have lacked ambassadors in each other s
capitals since 2010.
Shannon already met with Venezuelan
President Nicolas Maduro in Caracas in
April following the heightened strain.
Meanwhile, just last month, the Wall
Street Journal reported that Cabello was
one of several senior Venezuelan officials
being investigated by US prosecutors
over alleged involvement in large-scale
Maduro responded that "anyone who
messes with Diosdado messes with me."
JAKARTA, Indonesia---A volcano in
western Indonesia unleashed a new
powerful burst high into the sky on
Saturday, sending hot ash far down
the mountain s slopes, an official
Authorities have been closely mon-
itoring 2,460-meter (8,070-foot)---
high Mount Sinabung on Sumatra, one
of Indonesia s main islands, since June
2, when its status was raised to the
highest alert level due to the growing
size of its lava dome.
Hot ash tumbled down the slopes
of the mountain as far as 3 kilometers
(2 miles) southeastward on Saturday,
said Wendy Cahya, an official at the
mountain s monitoring post.
No injuries were reported from the
latest eruption, he said.
Cahya said that as of Saturday
evening, 11 avalanches of hot ash had
been recorded, with volcanic ash
released as high as 2 kilometers (1.2
miles) into the air.
Volcanologists have warned that
smoldering rocks mixed with hot gases
may tumble down from the mountain
at any time.
More than 2,700 people from vil-
lages within the danger zone of 7 kilo-
meters (4.4 miles) from the crater have
been evacuated to temporary shelters.
No casualties have been reported from
this month s eruptions.
Mount Sinabung is among about
130 active volcanoes in Indonesia,
which is prone to seismic upheaval
due to its location on the Pacific "Ring
of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault
lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
The volcano has sporadically erupted
since 2010, after being dormant for
400 years. An eruption last year killed
at least 17 people.
found dead in Sahara
NIAMEY, Niger---The bodies of 18 migrants who likely
died of dehydration have been found in the Sahara desert
in northern Niger, the International Organization for
Migration said yesterday.
The migrants, most of whom came from West African
countries, are believed to have died on June 3 after a sand-
storm threw them off their route from the northern town
of Arlit to Algeria, said Giuseppe Loprete, the IOM s chief
of mission in Niger. They were part of a wave of migrants
trying to reach Libya to board smugglers boats across the
Mediterranean Sea into Europe.
"This tragedy highlights a feared but hitherto little-
known danger too many migrants face long before they
risk their lives at sea," said William Lacy Swing, the IOM s
director general. "The Sahara may be as deadly as the
Mediterranean for this wave. All too tragically many of
these deaths go unreported," Lacy added.
The dead included 17 men and one woman. They came
from Niger, Mali, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Central African
Republic, Liberia, Guinea and Algeria. The route through
northern Niger is heavily trafficked.
In October 2013, Niger authorities recovered 92 bodies
of migrants who died of thirst after the trucks they were
travelling in broke down.
The IOM estimates that 1,865 people died this year
through mid-June trying to cross the Mediterranean.
Six Gitmo detainees
sent to Oman
A pause in prisoner transfers from Guantanamo Bay
ended with the arrival in Oman of six Yemenis long
held at the US prison for suspected terrorists.
It was the first movement of detainees out of Guan-
tanamo in five months as Congress considers new restric-
tions on transfers. The six men boarded a flight Friday
from the US facility in Cuba, and their transfer reduced
Guantanamo s population to 116.
President Barack Obama has now transferred more than
half the 242 detainees who were at Guantanamo when
he was sworn into office in 2009 after campaigning to
close it. But he is far from achieving that goal. With just
a year and a half left in his second term, final transfer
approvals are coming slowly from the Pentagon and law-
makers are threatening to make movement out even hard-
er.The transfers to Oman are the first to win final approval
by Defense Secretary Ash Carter, who has been on the
job four months. The six include Emad Abdullah Hassan,
who has been on hunger strikes since 2007 in protest of
his confinement without charge since 2002.
In court filings protesting force-feeding practices, Hassan
said detainees have been force-fed up to a gallon at a
time of nutrients and water. The US accuses him of being
one of many bodyguards to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin
Laden and of being part of a group planning to attack
NATO and American troops after the 2001 invasion of
The five other detainees sent to Oman were identified
by the Pentagon as Idris Ahmad Abd Al Qadir Idris, Jalal
Salam Awad Awad, Sharaf Ahmad Muhammad Mas ud,
Saa d Nasser Moqbil Al Azani and Muhammad Ali Salem
US, Venezuela hold high-level talks
Indonesia volcano unleashes powerful burst
Villagers watch as Mount
Sinabung releases pyroclastic
flows in Tiga Serangkai, North
Sumatra, Indonesia, Saturday.
Diplomats meet in Haiti
Links Archive June 14th 2015 June 16th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page