Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 15th 2015 Contents Monday, June 15, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
culture as a means of earning a living.
A. In earlier times, farming and agriculture was
the only source of income for many families.
B. Long ago many people would farm and plant
food for their families.
C. Farming and agriculture was a mainstay for
families long ago.
D. Had it not been for farming and agriculture
many would have starved.
9. As of Monday, the road running parallel to the high-
way will be closed to the public for one week.
A. The road near the highway will be closed on
Monday to the public.
B. On Monday the road alongside the highway
will be closed to the public. It will reopen again
in one week.
C. The road running parallel to highway will be
closed to the public for one week, beginning on
D. The road running next to the highway will be
closed for a week beginning on Monday.
10. The resident of the area have asked the business
owners not to block the entrances to their homes.
A. The business owners have asked the resident
not to block the area.
B. The business owners have been requested not
to block the entrances to residents' homes.
C. The business owners were cautioned not to
block the homes of residents.
D. The residents have asked the business owner
to exercised discretion when parking in the
DIRECTION: Read the following sentences carefully. No
sentence contains more than one error. Some of the sen-
tences are incorrect because of grammar, vocabulary or
idiom. Identify the part of the sentence which is incor-
rect and select the letter which corresponds with your
answer. If the sentence is appropriate as it stands mark
your answer D.
11. Numerous advertisements has appeared in the daily
newspapers warning citizens not to wear
camouflage. No Error
12. The bakery supplied over eight hundred cupcakes for
the mall's anniversary's celebration. No Error
13. Its 10:00 A.M. and the plumber has not put in an
appearance. No Error
14. A fire gutted the building causing a major damage
to the property and resulting in substantial losses to
the firm. No Error
15. This wallet looks as good as if not better than
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully then select the
word that is NEAREST in meaning to underlined word in
1. When the police arrived on the scene of the accident,
the guilty party insinuated that the other driver was at
2. The car dealer promised to sell us the vehicle for sixty
thousand dollars, but he reneged on the agreement.
3. It is imperative that you submit your tax return today
otherwise, you will miss the deadline.
4. Having to complete the booklets in three days proved
to be an onerous task.
5. The students did not select Colin to be their team
leader because of his domineering ways.
DIRECTION: Read the sentences carefully. Each sentence
has four options, review the options and select the one
that is CLOSEST in meaning to the original sentence.
6. The piano student became dejected after she learned
that she had not attained a passing grade.
A. The student became depressed when she did
not pass her music lessons.
B. When the piano student learned that she had
not passed her grade she became dejected.
C. The piano student did not attain a passing
grade and she became very upset.
D. On learning that she had not attained a passing
grade, the piano student became dejected.
7. Many religious groups offer counselling to couples who
are hoping to get married.
A. Couples who are hoping to get married can seek
counselling from any religious group.
B. Counselling is being offered to couples wishing
to get married.
C. Many religious groups offer pre-marital coun
selling for couples.
D. Couples contemplating marriage can obtain
counselling according to their religious beliefs.
8. In times past many families relied on farming and agri-
the brand name product. No Error
DIRECTION: Read each sentence carefully. Select from
the four options given, the word or words which is best
suited to complete the sentence.
16. The workers had every ........................... that they would
have received their wages before Friday.
17. While he is a valued player he needs to be able to
........................... will not work on the field.
18. At the start of the day more than fifteen hundred per-
sons............................. for the event.
19. There were many .................................. in the stories told by
20. Based on the information supplied by the accountant,
this contract promises to be lucrative.
DIRECTIONS: Read the poem carefully before attempt-
ing the questions. Each question has four options, se-
lect the most appropriate answer, based on what is
implied or stated in the poem.
THE BEAN EATERS
They eat beans mostly, this old yellow pair.
Dinner is a casual affair.
Plain chipware on a plain and creaking wood,
Two who are Mostly Good.
Two who have lived their day,
But keep on putting on their clothes
And putting things away.
And remembering ...
Remembering, with twinklings and twinges,
As they lean over the beans in their rented back room
that is full of beads and receipts and doll and cloths, to-
Continued on the next page
Links Archive June 14th 2015 June 16th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page