Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : June 24th 2015 Contents SANTIAGO---Brazil captain Neymar
has denied insulting a referee after
being sent off in the Copa America
game against Colombia, calling the
incident a mix-up.
Neymar received a four-game sus-
pension after the incident in last week s
CONMEBOL said Neymar was given
such a lengthy ban because he grabbed
the referee by the arms and insulted
him in the tunnel to the changing
But Neymar said he only waited in
the tunnel to ask the referee why he
was sent off, and claimed that a com-
motion started after people thought
Wednesday, June 24, 2015 www.guardian.co.tt Guardian
UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
The UNDP invites applications from suitably qualified Firms of Trinidad &
Tobago for the following Consultancy:
Cleaning Services for UN HOUSE
How to Apply
The Procurement Notices including the Terms of Reference (TORs) can be
obtained by visiting the UNDP Trinidad and Tobago website at:
Candidates should download and complete the Instructions within the
Invitation to Bid Form from the UNDP Trinidad and Tobago website and hand
deliver it together with the other submission requirements indicated in the
Procurement Notices by 4:00pm on July 17th 2015 to: email@example.com
or deliver to: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
3A Chancery Lane,
Re: Cleaning Services for UN HOUSE
Please ensure to quote the name of the consultancy for which you are applying
Unsuitable applications will not be acknowledged
ROME---The president of Catania and
six others were arrested yesterday for
alleged match-fixing, in an apparent
scheme to prevent the Sicilian club
from relegation to the third division.
In addition to Catania president
Antonino Pulvirenti, club CEO Pablo
Cosentino and former sporting director
Daniele Delli Carri were also arrested
under sports fraud charges.
The other four people arrested are
betting agents or sports managers,
A month ago, Catania finished 15th
in the 22-team Serie B, safely avoiding
the bottom four relegation spots.
Catania was relegated a year ago after
eight consecutive seasons in Serie A,
having matched a club record by fin-
ishing eighth in the top flight in 2013.
Pulvirenti s low-cost airline, Wind
Jet, went into crisis and had to suspend
operations three years ago.
Giovanni Grasso, Pulvirenti s lawyer
said that his client "is certain he will
be able to demonstrate his total non-
involvement in the case."
Grasso added that Pulvirenti intends
to immediately make a decision over
his role with Catania, "so that he can
defend himself with the utmost serenity
and protect the interests of the sports
Police said the five matches under
investigation were played against Varese,
Trapani, Latina, Ternana and Livorno.
Catania won the first four games in
April, and then drew 1-1 with Livorno
on May 2. A match against Avellino
that Catania won 1-0 on May 19 was
also being looked at.
Management members of Messina
and players with Livorno, Varese and
Trapani were placed under investigation
in the operation that prosecutors have
labeled "The goal trains."
The Italian football federation imme-
diately opened a sports inquiry and
requested documentation from the
Catania prosecutors. The FIGC added
that it had already opened proceedings
for some of the games mentioned after
they were pointed out for an unusually
high number of bets.
lenging UEFA s "Financial
Fair Play" rules which curb
club spending have won a
first victory in a case that
will now go to the European
Union s supreme court.
A local court in Brussels
asked the European Union s
Court of Justice to rule on
whether UEFA s rules break
laws on freedom of compe-
tition and investment, lawyer
announced in a statement
UEFA said it would appeal
the ruling, thereby freezing
the lower court s provision to
delay the next phase of rules.
UEFA intends to cut from 45
million euros ($50 million) to
30 million euros ($33.5 mil-
lion) the maximum loss clubs
can make on player transfers
and wages over a three-year
"UEFA considers it strange
that a national court having
no competence to hear a dis-
pute on the merits would, at
the same time, refer a ques-
tion to the European Court
of Justice or make a provi-
sional order," the Swiss-based
body said in a statement.
"In any event, UEFA
remains fully confident that
FFP is entirely in line with
EU law, and that the Euro-
pean court will in due course
simply confirm this to be the
Dupont is representing a
player s agent in Belgium and
fan groups which argue that
UEFA s club finance project
protects the status of existing
elite clubs from ambitious
rivals who want to spend
heavily in chasing success.
Last year, the European
Commission declined to
accept the complaint, saying
the parties were not directly
affected by UEFA rules which
UEFA has previously said
it will announce modified FFP
rules next Tuesday after an
executive committee meeting
in Prague, Czech Republic.
Neymar denies insulting referee
Bacca, second left,
Neymar, 10, during
a scuffle at the end
of a Copa America
Group C soccer
match at the
Santiago, Chile last
won the match 1-0.
Catania president, six others
arrested in match-fixing case
he was going to do something else to
"Almost nothing happened in the
tunnel," Neymar told Globo TV before
leaving Santiago late Monday. "I was
inside the tunnel and I knew that (the
ref) was coming, so I ended up waiting
for him to ask why he sent me off. But
then there was a commotion, with
security and other people thinking that
I was nervous and maybe was going
to hit him or something like that."
A CONMEBOL official told The
Associated Press that the punishment
against Neymar was aggravated by the
fact that the player waited for the ref-
eree inside the tunnel.
The Barcelona star was sent off after
kicking the ball toward Colombia s
Pablo Armero after the referee blew
for fulltime in the Group C game in
which Brazil lost 1-0. Neymar also
appeared to try to head-butt another
player who came to confront him, ignit-
ing a brief brawl between players from
both teams. Colombia s Carlos Bacca,
who shoved Neymar from behind, also
was sent off after the altercation.
"I hope we can all learn from this,"
the 23-year-old Neymar said.
During the game, Neymar had been
shown his second yellow card of the
tournament---which would have
brought him a one-match ban.
Neymar watched from the stands on
Sunday as Brazil advanced to the quar-
terfinals with a 2-1 win over Venezuela.
He left the squad a day later after the
Brazilian confederation decided not to
appeal the suspension.
Neymar missed the decisive stages
of the World Cup at home last year
after sustaining an injury late in the
quarterfinal match against Colombia.
He couldn t play in Brazil s 7-1 loss to
Germany in the semifinals or in the 3-
0 defeat to the Netherlands in the third-
"Brazil can still win matches, can
still win the Copa America," Neymar
said. "Brazil still has great players, they
can handle this."
Lawyers claim victory
over UEFA in ongoing
club finance case
Links Archive June 23rd 2015 June 25th 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page