Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 1st 2015 Contents A6
Guardian www.guardian.co.tt Wednesday, July 1, 2015
One day before Highway Re-
Route Movement (HRM) leader Dr
Wayne Kublalsingh ends his nine-
month hunger strike, he has vowed
to use all his strength to ensure the
People s Partnership loses the gen-
He also came close to being arrest-
ed yesterday after he confronted OAS
security, bursting the caution tape
in a cordoned off area of the Solomon
Hochoy Highway extension con-
struction site in Penal.
Following a press conference at
Gopie Trace to announce officially
he was ending his strike today,
Kublalsingh walked across to the
construction site, demanding to
know what was being constructed
When he got no answers, Kublals-
ingh got angry and tried to enter the
site, bursting the tape in the process.
He and another HRM member
had an argument with security offi-
cers before he left, still without any
Earlier Kublalsingh signalled his
intention to fight against the PP Gov-
ernment, saying: "We have two
months of hard fighting and we will
fight them down to the wire."
Although the HRM had meetings
with various political parties, Kublals-
ingh said he would not be forming
any political alliance "but I know
who I will not be voting for," he said.
Kublalsingh, who claimed he has
been surviving on tulsi leaf, water,
coconut water, an occasional cup of
dhal said although he felt weak, his
fast had not seriously affected his
He embarked on the hunger strike,
the second in two years, after the
Government refused to review the
construction of the controversial
Debe to Mon Desir segment of the
highway in September 2014.
Although the HRM s support in
the Penal/Debe area has dwindled
because of intimidation, Kublalsingh
said the HRM still had a lot of sup-
port from sections of the national
His reason for ending the strike
at this time, he said, was to assist
his members who were being ter-
rorised and harassed by project man-
ager National Infrastructure Devel-
opment Company (Nidco) and OAS,
to leave their property.
On the eve of the release of Sec-
ondary Entrance Assessment (SEA)
results Education Minister Dr Tim
Gopeesingh said he hoped they could
do away with the examination once
and for all.
His suggestion was applauded dur-
ing a dedication and formal opening
of the Naparima Girls High School
Centenary Building and Skywalk yes-
Gopeesingh said he was pleased
with the academic excellence the
denominational school boards were
making in the education sector.
He said some government secondary
schools also were doing very well based
on the number of scholarships awarded
Gopeesingh said if the ministry
could close the gap between the gov-
ernment and denominational second-
ary schools, then there would be no
need for the SEA.
"If the gap closes we could do away
with SEA all together," he said at the
function which was attended by prin-
cipals from the Naparima Girls ,
Naparima and Presentation Colleges,
school supervisors and other stake-
holders in the education sector.
He lauded Naps Girls principal Car-
olyn Bally-Gosine for topping the
island with the highest number of
scholarships won in the last academic
Speaking to members of the media
following the formal opening,
Gopeesingh said he hoped the 2015
SEA results would surpass last year s
record which was the best ever in the
history of the transition examination
from primary to secondary school.
On May 7, 18,357 students, including
9,333 boys and 9,024 girls were
assessed in mathematics and language
While all students will be placed in
secondary schools, Gopeesingh advised
those students who may not pass for
their first choice, not to be dismayed.
He said: "You are all winners. I am
sure you will receive your education
to the best that the schools will be
able to give. You have to dedicate your-
selves and each one of you will become
leaders, no matter whichever school
you are going to.
"So students, don t be dismayed.
Your dedication to education is impor-
tant and with the support of your par-
ents, guardians and teachers you are
capable of rising to the top. So you
are all winners and I congratulate you."
Text your unique six-digit num-
ber found at the back of your paper
for your chance to win today s prize
Yesterday was the last day of our
Read! Watch! Cash! promotion.
The number drawn on CNC3
Crime Watch was 008172 for the
If the number at the back of your
yesterday s T&T Guardian was
008172 you have won $1,000 cash.
You have until 3 pm today to come
to the T&T Guardian head office,
Rodney Road, Endeavour, Chagua-
nas, with the newspaper containing
the winning number and photo iden-
tification to collect your prize.
Kublalsingh will end
hunger strike today
Leader of the Highway Re-route Movement, Dr Wayne Kublalsingh, left,
attempts to enter OAS construction site at Gopie Trace, Penal, yesterday
but was blocked by security officers. PHOTO: RISHI RAGOONATH
Gap closing between govt, denominational schools
Time to end SEA
Buy, Text and Win
promo---win $500 daily
Kublalsingh intends to end his
fast today around 10 am by
consuming on a meal prepared
by his mother Vilma Kublalsingh.
Vilma who was among a handful
of supporters at the campsite,
was not sure what she would
prepare for her son to break his
Expressing relief and
happiness that Kubalsingh was
ending his strike, she said God
answered her prayers.
Whether she had any
concerns about her son's battle
against the Government,
particularly in this election
season, she said: "Not too much.
I am a praying person."
She did not think anyone
would harm Kublalsingh as he
was "covered in prayer."
Links Archive June 30th 2015 July 2nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page