Home' Trinidad and Tobago Guardian : July 1st 2015 Contents A19
• Twitter: @GuardianTT • Web: guardian.co.tt
SANAA---Some 1,200 in-
mates fled a prison in
Yemen yesterday after
guards deserted their posts
amid fierce fighting be-
tween Shiite rebels and
their opponents, officials
A security official said
the jailbreak in the south-
western city of Taiz came
after its main prison was
caught in crossfire between
southerners fighting for
autonomy or outright in-
dependence and the rebels,
known as Houthis, who are
backed by army units loyal
to a former president.
It was the third major
jailbreak since a Saudi-led
air campaign against the
rebels began on March 26.
The Iran-backed rebels
seized the capital, Sanaa,
last September and control
much of the country s
Some 300 inmates, in-
cluding a top militant
leader, were freed from a
prison in Mukalla after al
Qaeda militants captured
the southern port city in
The Houthis allegedly
freed inmates from a prison
in the southwestern city of
MEDAN---Rescuers with heavy machinery
searched a shattered residential neigh-
bourhood yesterday for any survivors from
an Indonesian air force transport plane
that crashed shortly after takeoff and killed
more than 70 people.
The C-130 Hercules, carrying military
personnel and their families, went down in
Indonesia s third-largest city of Medan,
striking a building. Witness accounts sug-
gested the plane suffered an engine fire
Air force spokesman Rear Marshal Dwi
Badarmanto said 74 bodies were recovered.
About 30 of the dead were identified and
included air force personnel and relatives,
Air force officials said more than 100
people may have been on the C-130, but
there was little hope of finding survivors.
It is unclear how many people on the ground
The crash of the transport plane, which
had been in service since 1964, occurred
only two minutes after it took off from Soe-
wondo air force base around midday.
The pilot told the control tower that he
needed to turn back because of engine trou-
ble, said air force chief Air Marshal Agus
"The plane crashed while it was turning
right to return to the airport," he said.
Many passengers were relatives of military
personnel. Hitching rides on military planes
to reach remote destinations is common in
Indonesia, a sprawling archipelago that spans
three time zones.
Indonesia has a patchy civil aviation safety
record and its cash-strapped air force has
also suffered a series of accidents.
Between 2007 and 2009, the European
Union barred Indonesian airlines from flying
to Europe because of safety concerns.
The country s most recent civilian airline
disaster was in December, when an AirAsia
jet with 162 people on board crashed into
the Java Sea en route from Surabaya to Sin-
There have been five fatal crashes involving
air force planes since 2008, according to
the Aviation Safety Network, which tracks
Fahmi Sembiring of Medan said he saw
the gray Hercules flying very low as he was
"Flames and black smoke were coming
from the plane in the air," he said.
Sembiring said he stopped not far from
the crash site and saw several people rescued
by police, security guards and bystanders.
Another man, Janson Halomoan Sinagam,
said several of his relatives were on the
"We just want to know their fate," he told
MetroTV, weeping. "But we have not yet
received any information from the hospi-
The plane s manifest showed there were
50 people on the flight from Medan in
Sumatra to the remote Natuna island chain,
according to North Sumatra Police Chief
Eko Hadi Sutedjo, but the actual number
Supriatna said there were more than 100
passengers and a crew of 12 on the plane
before it reached Medan.
It had travelled from the capital, Jakarta,
and stopped at two locations before arriving
in Medan, a city of 3.4 million.
It was the second time in ten years that
an airplane has crashed into a Medan neigh-
bourhood. In September 2005, a Mandala
Airlines Boeing 737 crashed into a crowded
residential community shortly after takeoff
from Medan s Polonia airport, killing 143
people including 30 on the ground.
On Twitter, President Joko "Jokowi"
Widodo said he and his family were extend-
ing "heartfelt condolences" to the families
of victims. (AP)
MONROVIA---Liberian authorities yesterday
quarantined two households after the corpse
of a 17-year-old boy was found with Ebola,
sparking fears the West African country could
face another outbreak of the disease nearly
two months after being declared Ebola-free.
"Liberia has got a re-infection of Ebola,"
Tolbert Nyenswah, deputy health minister and
head of Liberia's Ebola response team, told
the Associated Press.
The boy died at his home and was buried
safely to avoid spread of the disease,
Nyenswah said. The Nedowein area where he
died is close to Liberia's international airport,
about 30 miles (48 kilometres) south of the
Teams are investigating how the boy
became infected, Nyenswah said. The area is
not near Liberia's borders with Sierra Leone
and Guinea, neighbouring countries that still
have Ebola cases. The World Health
Organisation declared Liberia Ebola-free on
May 9, after it went 42 days without a new
Liberia had been hardest hit with more than
4,800 deaths from this outbreak's total of
more than 11,100 fatalities.
A single case of Ebola means a country has
Ebola, said Dr Margaret Harris, spokeswoman
for WHO in Geneva.
Following the 42-day end of transmission
period, there's a 90-day period of heightened
alert with a surveillance system in place,
Harris said. This is the only known case in
Liberia for now, according to Liberia Ebola
response chief Nyenswah.
The boy died on June 28 and was buried
that day, said Liberian official Nyenswah,
correcting his earlier statement that he died
on June 24. (AP)
BEAUMONT---A former leader of Mexico's
notorious Gulf drug cartel has been
sentenced to 30 years in a US prison and
fined $100 million.
Juan Francisco Saenz-Tamez was
sentenced yesterday by a judge in
Beaumont, Texas, on drug and money
Saenz-Tamez is a 23-year-old resident of
the Mexican border state of Tamaulipas. He
was arrested in October during a shopping
trip to Texas.
Saenz-Tamez pleaded guilty in January to
distribution and possession with intent to
distribute cocaine; conspiracy to distribute
and possession with intent to distribute
marijuana; and conspiracy to commit money
Prosecutors say Saenz-Tamez was
responsible for shipping at least half a ton of
cocaine and 90 tons of marijuana into the
US. Investigators believe the drug cartel
laundered $100 million. (AP)
Prisoners escape as guards abandon post
Firefighters and military personnel
inspect the site where an Air Force
cargo plane crashed in Medan,
Indonesia, yesterday. AP PHOTO
Little hope of survivors
Military plane crashes in neighbourhood
new Ebola case
Ex-cartel leader gets
30 years in US prison
Links Archive June 30th 2015 July 2nd 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page